South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Perhaps a bit like a sextant - at arms length - aligned with the sun and horizon and the straight diagonal pieces show position of sunset - hence west?

That is not it either. It has nothing to do with any planets or stars other than earth and a vague link to one other

celestial object.

I think I know...

It somehow has to do with ocean currents.

The navigator would sit in the front of the boat with this device and then "feel" the currents under him. Somehow this contraption told him how and or where to go. I think it was of a time before the Vikings.

Edited by DamhuisClan

I think I know...

It somehow has to do with ocean currents.

The navigator would sit in the front of the boat with this device and then "feel" the currents under him. Somehow this contraption told him how and or where to go. I think it was of a time before the Vikings.

Well done DamhuisClan - I think that is about as close as this is going to go.

The instrument is called a Mattang. It was used as a tool to teach young people about the wave patterns reflected off of islands, in a similar way to what happens when you throw a stone in a pond and the waves reflect off the edges of the pond. Like many other sailors, the Polynesians used the sun and stars, cloud formations (stationary cloud formations, caused by temperature changes when cool sea air passes over warmer land areas) and flights of birds (the presence of many birds, show land is not too far away even if it cannot yet be seen)to navigate over large expanses of open ocean . But the Polynesians also learned how to read wave patterns, as Damhuisclan says - the experianced sailor would even be able to lie in the bottom of the boat and be able to read the swells of the ocean and be able to pinpoint where the surrounding islands are. It is said that this is why they were able to find and travel to and from small islands like Easter Island with relative ease while those using more traditional western methods could only find it many years later. Some references say that some sailors could even tell where they were by placing a hand in the ocean and feeling the swells.

So in a way it is kind of like an ancient GPS, just thought it might be interesting to know.

My thought: When opposite or opposing terms are used in the same sentence e.g. organised chaos.

Then after I have have looked it up in my dictionary, here is the definition: an epigrammatic effect, by which contradictory terms are used in conjunction: living death. - Collins Concise Dictionary.

Sjoe... that is a definitition and a half.

I'll give it to Geo936!

From Wikipedia there is this oxymoron poem:

One fine day in the middle of the night,

Two dead boys got up to fight,

Back to back they faced each other,

Drew their swords and shot each other,

One was blind and the other couldn't see,

So they chose a dummy for a referee.

A blind man went to see fair play,

A dumb man went to shout "hooray!"

A paralysed donkey passing by,

Kicked the blind man in the eye,

Knocked him through a nine inch wall,

Into a dry ditch and drowned them all,

A deaf policeman heard the noise,

And came to arrest the two dead boys,

If you don't believe this story's true,

Ask the blind man; he saw it too!

Edited by DamhuisClan
Wow that brings back memories! Used to know that poem as a child!

That poem was new to me.

I knew this one as a child:

"I see" said the blind man,

to his deaf daughter,

over the broken telephone,

sitting at the corner of a round table,

in the shade of a broken lamp,

while his disabled dog came running around the corner.

(I think we, as kids, added the last two lines)

Here I am!! So sorry! Had internet problems the other day and I don't know why, but each time I try to get onto the Forum (and often on GC.com), the page won't be displayed.

Anyway, sorry about my absence.

Okay a quickie:

In which country is the world's largest department store?

Here I am!! So sorry! Had internet problems the other day and I don't know why, but each time I try to get onto the Forum (and often on GC.com), the page won't be displayed.

Anyway, sorry about my absence.

Okay a quickie:

In which country is the world's largest department store?

I recall a while back Harrods in London being the largest department store but that has probably long been surpassed.

Nope - not any of those countries, but USA comes 2nd at the moment.

Hint: The country was awarded with the title as having the largest department store in June 2009. So it is a very recent thing.

If no correct answers by tomorrow I will give another easy hint which will give it away very quickly!

Okay cincol, I'll give it to you. To be exact, it is in South Korea. Here is some detailed info:

From the Guiness Book of Records:

The coastal city of Busan in South Korea has a prestigious world record to sit proudly alongside its beautiful beaches. The brand-new Shinsengae Centumcity Department Store is now officially recognized by Guinness World Records™ as the largest department store in the world.

The architecturally impressive building has a huge 293,905 m² (3,163,567 ft²) of retail space. This beats the previous record holder, the famous Macy's store in New York City, by over 95,000 m² (1,022,571 ft²).

The Shinsengae structure contains floor upon floor of designer names representing everything from fashion to books and from kitchenware to toys. It also contains a beautiful spa, a relaxing roof garden and an impressive 60-tee golf driving range.

Guinness World Records Adjudicator Michael Whitty attended an official ceremony after studying the extensive surveyor's report and personally viewing the entire store. He was joined on stage by executives from the Shinsengai Corporation as well as the mayor of Busan. A large and eager group of journalists, photographers and cameramen were also in attendance as well as hundreds of happy shoppers. The story ran on national news all day and night.

Many congratulations to the Shinsengai Corporation and to the city of Busan.

29 June 2009

PS: We drive a Hyundai!

How about in the USA - named after the WW2 battle by returning servicemen?

There seem to be plenty of towns with names of other cities - includign a Johannesburg.

There probably IS one in the US! :) The CITY that I am looking for here is larger than what would be classified as a town and is said to be older than 2000 years old - there is a clue!!

Edited by cincol

Okay, I checked my faithfull Collins Dictionary (proper printed book, NOT from the Internet) and I have the answers. Should I give someone else a chance? Yes, maybe. I will be on line again tomorrow night and will see if anyone else has got it right. If not, then I'll respond with the answer! Cheers, Silvia.

Okay, can I give the answer now? According to my Collins Concise Dictionary (the old fashioned printed version), here are the answers:

Tripoli - a lightweight porous siliceous rock, which is used in powdered form as a polish. (cincol, you must've discovered this while doing research for an Earthcache :) ).

Tripoli - is also the name of a port in Northern Lebanon on the Mediterranean. It is the second largest town in Lebanon.

Okay, can I give the answer now? According to my Collins Concise Dictionary (the old fashioned printed version), here are the answers:

Tripoli - a lightweight porous siliceous rock, which is used in powdered form as a polish. (cincol, you must've discovered this while doing research for an Earthcache :) ).

Tripoli - is also the name of a port in Northern Lebanon on the Mediterranean. It is the second largest town in Lebanon.

Correct!! :)

The Tripoli that I was looking for is indeed the one in Lebanon. It was the center of a Phoenician confederation which included Tyre, Sidon and Arados, hence the name Tripoli, meaning "triple city" in Greek. It dates back to 1400BC!!

I'll give it to you DHC! Yes, it is 12 stars and they do represent Unity.

Here is a blurb from Wikipedia:

The blue represents the west, the number of stars represents completeness while their position in a circle represents unity. The stars do not vary according to the members of either organisation as they are intended to represent all the peoples of Europe, even those outside European integration.

A further note:

Against the blue sky of the Western world, the stars represent the peoples of Europe in a circle, a symbol of unity. Their number shall be invariably set at twelve, the symbol of completeness and perfection ... just like the twelve signs of the zodiac represent the whole universe, the twelve gold stars stand for all peoples of Europe – including those who cannot as yet take part in building up Europe in unity and peace.

—Council of Europe. Paris, 7–9 December 1955

An interesting myth (also on wiki) is the following:

Among the many myths that have developed about the origins of the design of the flag is the speculation that it relates to the twelve-star halo of the Virgin Mary seen in the sacred art of the Catholic Church. The flag's designer, Arsène Heitz, has acknowledged that the Book of Revelation (which is where the twelve-star halo of the Queen of Heaven was first mentioned) helped to inspire him. Revelation 12:1 is cited to explain the symbolism: "A great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars" (a crown of stars can be interpreted as a "Crown of Immortality"). It has been noted that the date the flag was adopted, 8 December 1955, coincided with the Catholic Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a feast decreed in 1854 by Pope Pius IX.

Your go Damhuisclan! :)

0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,etc.

0 + 1 = 1

1 + 1 = 2

1 + 2 = 3

2 + 3 = 5

3 + 5 = 8 etc...

I used to ask my Grade 11 learners to write a Delphi Function that could be repeatedly called in a loop, demonstrating the Fibonacci sequence... :grin:

Darn... wish I was online earlier!

Edited by Team Ginger

Hmm ... my post did not go through earlier this morning. I wonder why.......

Any case Ding! to tomtwogates.

Fibonacci also wrote a book on the decimal numerical system, and intruduced it to (us) the Europeans. We were still using the Roman numeral system, which does not contain the concept of a Zero. So the western world was first introduced to the decimal system, and the zero by him from India.

A little more info, and interesting to read is here:

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites...cci/fibBio.html

Scroll down to "Fibonacci's Mathematical Contributions"

Loved the question - learned of Fibonacci when playing around with my ZX Spectrum computer in the dark ages - it had some program which indicated the rabbit and fox problem. Picked up hundreds of pine cones to try to disprove the theory!

Okay - who was Johan Bax van Herenthals?