South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Good guess -but alas - no.

Neil Diamond actually did cover this (in a Duet with Dolly Parton) - as did Elvis (believe it or not!)

Glenn Campbell (he os Rhinestone Cowboy fame) - also covered it - and interestingly enough was the rythm guitarist on the original!

The only song that I know that ND did with Dolly Boobs was "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'" but I can't imagine that being the most played song! :unsure:

These are the top songs:

One million performances is the equivalent of approximately 50,000 broadcast hours, or more than 5.7 years of continuous airplay!

Over 8 Million Times

The Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'

Over 7 Million Times

The Association - Never My Love

The Beatles - Yesterday

Ben E. King - Stand By Me

Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay

Over 6 Million Times

Simon and Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson

Johnny Rivers - Baby, I Need Your Loving

Ray Charles - Georgia On My Mind

The Police - Every Breath You Take

Roy Orbison - Oh Pretty Woman

Gladys Knight - I Heard It Through The Grapevine

The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream

The Platters - Only You

The Chi-lights - Oh Girl

Elton John - Your Song

James Taylor - How Sweet It Is

Rita Coolidge - Higher & Higher

Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You

Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings

The Beatles - Michelle

The Fifth Dimension - Up, Up and Away

The Drifters - On Broadway

The Platters - Twilight Time

Frank Sinatra - Strangers in the Night

Neil Sedaka - Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

The Drifters - Save the Last Dance for Me

In the UK -

1. Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale

2. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

3. Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around

4. Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream

5. Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

6. Abba - Dancing Queen

7. Elvis Presley - All Shook Up

8. Rod Stewart - Maggie May

9. The Beatles - Hello Goodbye

10. The Beatles - Get Back

Edited by Carbon Hunter

Trying to think back to that time... there were other famous people who died in 97... I remember some quite clearly as my ex-wifes grandfather died the day before Diana... and he liked her so much...

Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed been the most famous...

Michael Hutchence hung from the doorknob from his belt

Allen Ginsburg the Poet... He featured in U2's Popmart

Versace fasion designer... don't think he sang

Mother Theresa.... But not John...

Chris Farley actor...

Think the guy we are looking for here could be non other than John Denver...

Edited by Wazat

Trying to think back to that time... there were other famous people who died in 97... I remember some quite clearly as my ex-wifes grandfather died the day before Diana... and he liked her so much...

Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed been the most famous...

Michael Hutchence hung from the doorknob from his belt

Allen Ginsburg the Poet... He featured in U2's Popmart

Versace fasion designer... don't think he sang

Mother Theresa.... But not John...

Chris Farley actor...

Think the guy we are looking for here could be non other than John Denver...

wazat's ramblings!!! The question was about a SINGER / MUSICIAN - not poets, princesses and the like!! :surprise: JD was the guy I was looking for. Died when his experimental aircraft, which he was piloting, hit the water - SPLASH!!

Let's have a question from wazat. :ph34r:

Oh, here is a joke from that time. 'John Denver was a plane down to earth kind of guy'.

Eeew!! Don't even start!

This is how I heard about the death of Diana, the following morning my friend, walking to varsity, said:

"Diana was on the radio this morning.....

and on the dashboard, and the window......"

I will never forget the year she died!

Perhaps parts of an orbiting satelitte (Skylab?) that fell back to earth?

That's the one. Well done. It was the Skylab space station. You are up Carbon hunter.... Sorry took so long to get back on this...

I remember people wearing crash helmets when Skylab fell - but I did not know about the litter fine - good question.

OK - the Mpumalanga town of SECUNDA - what is the origin of the name?

Secunda was "built" by Sasol as the town that would service the Sasol II project and effectively be the 2nd Sasolburg. The name is made up of a play on the word "second" - trying to remember from my Std 6 Latin lessons - secundi being second. :D

Vini Vedi Vici - yep - you're it. And for many years I thought it was a Tswana word :)

Here is a South African / Qatar question.

Sasol is involved in a GTL [Gas to Liquid] joint venture with Qatar Petroleum. A couple of years ago they drove 2 Toyota Hilux bakkies from Doha to Secunda, through the Middle East and then down through Africa powered by diesel fuel that was produced as the Ras Laffan GTL plant. More recently they were in the news again, this time Qatar Airways flew an Airbus A330-200 from London Gatwick to Doha fuelled with Avgas produced at the GTL plant.

What is the name of the GTL JV company?

Okay, I'm busy checking my "Land Mammals of Southern Africa - A Field Guide" book, and it says "Springbok" is "Springbok". The scientific/latin name is : Antidorcas marsupialis, so is that the name you are looking for something to do with the Genus or the Species name? I can't imagine either one though. But I do know that there is a Thompson's Gazelle and a Tibetan Gazelle, but those do not bear relevance to South Africa. So I'm a little stumped!

Oh, okay so "gazelle" is being used as a general term for "antelope". Can't be the Addax or Oryx?

After all the hints you had to get it eventually! :D

Correct, the oryx is the national animal of Qatar and as DB also mentioned it is the emblem of Qatar Airways and also used on many other logos and emblems in Qatar. The JV between Sasol and Qatar Petroleum is called Oryx GTL.

All yours GEO936.

I was under the impression that a 'Gemsbok' IS an Oryx?

hmm, wikipedia says this:

"The gemsbok or gemsbuck (Oryx gazella) is a large African antelope, of the Oryx genus. The name is derived from the Dutch name of the male chamois, gemsbok. Although there are some superficial similarities in appearance (especially in the colour of the face area), the chamois and the oryx are not closely related."

so I'm confused, is a gemsbok a chamois and thus not an oryx, or is a gemsbok not a chamois, and thus is an oryx? I thought a chamois was a cloth used to clean cars?

Based on the name, a gemsbok is an oryx then!

Yes Oryx gazella - or Gemsbok - as opposed to the Arabian Oryx (Oryx leucoryx) - aka the white or Sand or Desert Oryx.

Very similar - but lighter coat

Thanks CH [& DB] - you beat me to it. Yes, the Oryx is similar, but different to the gemsbok. Not only lighter in colour, but relatively smaller and slighter build as well.

Interestingly, they nearly became extinct a few years ago and due to the efforts of a SA veterinarian who heads up the R&D section of a successful breeding project in Qatar they have been reintroduced to a number Middle Eastern countries again.

Thanks cincol....after I entered my post I thought that "Oryx" did sound right after all....but you know me, always a bit slow (as not all switched on upstairs hee! hee!).

Thanks for the info. guys!

Okay, let me think of something....here goes:

What is the name of the largest lake by surface area in New Zealand? It is also the largest freshwater lake by surface area in the whole of Oceania.

Thanks cincol....after I entered my post I thought that "Oryx" did sound right after all....but you know me, always a bit slow (as not all switched on upstairs hee! hee!).

Thanks for the info. guys!

Okay, let me think of something....here goes:

What is the name of the largest lake by surface area in New Zealand? It is also the largest freshwater lake by surface area in the whole of Oceania.

Lake Taupo.

Edited by cincol

Let's get back to a South African question again shall we.

A South African company was recently in the news about a new motor car that is not only a SA homegrown design, but will enter into production soon as well. It is estimated that 10,000 new jobs will be created by this venture as well.

What is the name of this car and what is unique about it? [Apart from the fact it is South African]