South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

In Kalk Bay there is a "lychgate" (or lichgate, lych-gate or lych gate etc ). It dates back to 1875 and is the oldest one in South Africa.

What is a "lychgate"?

If these questions are getting boring - sorry - just pointing out some interesting things around that people might not know about.

It's the gate at the entrance to a cemetary.

There is one in Commercial Road in Maritzburg at the entrance to the Voortrekker cemetary too. Did a project on this in my 2nd year Geography at varsity :)

lych-gate-to-compton-greenfield-church-236058.jpg

An example of a lych gate

A lych gate is a roofed gate at the entrance to a church (to which many cemeteries used to be adjacent). The lych gate would be used as a place where the clergy would meet the corpse and the bier (trolley that carries the body) rested while the initial service was read before burial. They would also serve as a resting place for pall bearers while they waited for the bier to arrive from the church. Some of them have inset benches and are usually covered by either slate or thatch.

The Kalk Bay one has been relocated once in 1903 for widening of the road.

Carbon Hunter over to you............

Those of us on the wrong side of 40 will no doubt have an edge with this one. :)

The standard calibre used by the SADF for the R-1 rifle was the 7.62x51mm round. This was later changed to the current NATO Standard Calibre round which was originally used in the US M-16 rifle, which was derived from the .223 Remington cartridge. What is this calibre?

Those of us on the wrong side of 40 will no doubt have an edge with this one. ;)

The standard calibre used by the SADF for the R-1 rifle was the 7.62x51mm round. This was later changed to the current NATO Standard Calibre round which was originally used in the US M-16 rifle, which was derived from the .223 Remington cartridge. What is this calibre?

Yay - I knew that army training would come in handy

Here is a shot of some mementos I have from the day - R4/R5 5.56 round to the right and the classic 7.62 AK47 round to the left.

5.56.JPG

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000
Those of us on the wrong side of 40 will no doubt have an edge with this one. :)

Here is a shot of some mementos I have from the day - R4/R5 5.56 round to the right and the classic 7.62 AK47 round to the left.

5.56.JPG

Trev

So do you still know your orce number and rifle number ;):mad: - the trivia we remember!

Those of us on the wrong side of 40 will no doubt have an edge with this one. ;)

5.56.JPG

Trev

Yebo - 5.56x45mm. Much smaller than the old R-1 round with only half the stopping power!

Your turn.

Wow Trev... I can't believe that you still have some bullets from your Army days. I really didn't think anyone was going to get that question, but I guess I forgot about all the ou ballies geocachers on the Forum!! Ha! Ha! :P (Just kidding about being an ou ballie...I'm close to 40 myself and 50 is just around the corner, so I shouldn't be teasing :laughing: ).

Lots of stuff and memories buried back there. I also spent 2 years doing national service and am wondering why. Now I hear they have made a Ipi'n Tombi sequel that follows the lives of the heroes of that 70's classic. I remember sneaking into the local Drive-In on bicycles with a matey to watch that movie. Brings back memories.

It was just under a kilo per second.... Like 960 - 970 mps. Slightly faster than the R5 which has a shorter barrel. I was in the air force and we debated to what was better the R4 or the R5. R5 was shorter barrel and easier to get around. But was a slower velocity.... Must find my old pics with the R5 we used.

I agree with Wazat as I also did a stint in the Airforce with my G3 to R1 then R5, if memory serves me right the R5 was 920 m/s so that means the R4 was about 980 m/s.

I had to raise the amounts as I couldnt say the same. LOL

Plenty good and bad memories there.

Many good and crazy memories back in the late 1980's too. My children still struggle to understand the concept of being in the army but not in a "war". To this day I am still amazed about how brainwashed we were, being turned into one minded lemmings. I think back to having to put my life in the hands of someone with a loaded gun and a std 4/ grade 6 education oh hang on, that sounds familiar even now in 2010.

Ok now this may bounce back to Cincol!!!

Whats the muzzle velcoity of the 5.56 round when fired from an R4?

Trev

Sorry Trev - I never fired or even handled an R-4 or 5 in my life. They were after my days I'm afraid. I was an R-1 man, but that was only for back-up. I preferred to be behind the 5.5 INCH calibre rather - had much more range and stopping power and we didn't even see where we were firing either. Go Kanondonkies!

Thanks Trev,

Air Force days bring back many memories. I was trawling for something to ask when I recall a helicopter crash in Durban. Prompted me to have a look at Helicopter crashes.

What was the highest ever death toll in a helicopter crash worldwide?

This surprised me....

Thanks Trev,

Air Force days bring back many memories. I was trawling for something to ask when I recall a helicopter crash in Durban. Prompted me to have a look at Helicopter crashes.

What was the highest ever death toll in a helicopter crash worldwide?

This surprised me....

Wild flier (ha ha) but I'd say 323 cause it crashed into a crowded sports stadium?

Trev

35 would have been good but even 42 would be minimal loss. Much more I am afraid.

127 - it was one of those giant sikorsksi and they were going for a world record number of people in a single helicopter. The pilot lost control and crashed when one of the passengers dressed as clown said "what happens if i pull this" referring to the rotor disengagement lever. This of course all happened in Kazakhstan.

Trev

LoL @ Trev - Not quite the right sequence of events but the right number..... can you believe it.... 127 people in one helicopter.... But I bet if they got one here and gave it to a Taxi driver he could fit a lot more in and fly it while drunk.

From Wikipedia - 2002 Khankala Mi-26 crash happened on August 19, 2002, when Chechen rebels with a Russian-made Igla shoulder-fired surface-to-air missile hit an overloaded Mil Mi-26 helicopter, causing it to crash-land in a minefield and burn at the main military base at Khankala near the capital city of Grozny, Chechnya. A total of 127 Russian Army troops and crew from the Russian Air Force base at Mozdok were killed in the crash, the greatest loss of life in the history of helicopter aviation and one of the deadliest disasters in Russian military history.

And to add there were 25 Survivors... So that amounts to 152 people onboard the helicopter.

Some specs:

Crew: Six – 2 pilots, 1 navigator, 1 flight engineer, 1 loadmaster, 1 radio/electronic systems operator

Capacity: 80 troops

In other words 86 total....

152-86=66

66 People too many....

Just goes to show a good guess goes a long way - perhaps I'll buy a lottery ticket tonight!

Ok staying on theme (well the theme of my guess) heres a funny one.......

Whats the name of the billionaire "clown" who embarked on a space tourism adventure, by being blasted off earth to the ISS aboard a Soyuz space vehicle from the Baikonur launch facility in Kazakkhstan wearing a red clowns nose?

Trev

Ah oddly enough I was just looking at this the other day while looking at the other topic on extreme Geocaches. It was the last tourist to go up Guy Laliberté the Canadian who brought us Cirque du Soleil. It was with great interest that Space tourists sort of faded after Mark Shuttleworth went up. I didn't realise that since he had been up there were another 6 tourists. I was aware of Richard Garriot but missed the others. In total 8 Space tourists have gone to the ISS. As a matter of interest the Russians have stopped all space tourist flights as of the 3rd March. So anyone hoping to find the Geocache on the ISS.... your chances just went belly up.

Ah oddly enough I was just looking at this the other day while looking at the other topic on extreme Geocaches. It was the last tourist to go up Guy Laliberté the Canadian who brought us Cirque du Soleil. It was with great interest that Space tourists sort of faded after Mark Shuttleworth went up. I didn't realise that since he had been up there were another 6 tourists. I was aware of Richard Garriot but missed the others. In total 8 Space tourists have gone to the ISS. As a matter of interest the Russians have stopped all space tourist flights as of the 3rd March. So anyone hoping to find the Geocache on the ISS.... your chances just went belly up.

Well done Wazat and thanks for the extra info.

You're up!

Trev