South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

They were all former places of public execution by hanging, garotting, drawing and quartering, beheading, boling in oil, where after wards the executed victims bodies would be gibbeted for months after wards as a warning to the public not to commit capital crimes, which of course included amongst others theft, murder, rape, treason and holding up ones middle finger to the kings carriage procession.

They were all former places of public execution by hanging, garotting, drawing and quartering, beheading, boling in oil, where after wards the executed victims bodies would be gibbeted for months after wards as a warning to the public not to commit capital crimes, which of course included amongst others theft, murder, rape, treason and holding up ones middle finger to the kings carriage procession.

Word for word that would have been a second guess.

The best answer so far - I loved it - but alas - not correct B)

I know that one big stadium in UK has one side named the Kop, after the battle of Spion Kop, so I'll say its something to do with that.

They all have some south africa place name associated with it. Or they all have part of it named after Boer War battles?

Bingo - you're it - there are lots of stadiums across Europe with one end calle "the Kop" or something similar in local vernacular. But these geround actually have a stand/end called "Spion Kop". The Liverpool followers are actually known as Kopites. And apparently this came from the time of the Boer War, when the terraced embankments at the grounds were siad to resemble Spion Kop.

Go for it DCB

Thanks!

I was at the Natural History museum the other day, and they have a fine working model of a T-Rex, which glowers at you and moves its head around and roars. The kids were in tears with terror B)

But my question is not about old T-rex, its about the brontosaurus.

How does it digest its food?

yes see that apparently the name has changed, but I prefer brontosuarus myself.

Guess the question was too easy B)

It doesn;t really chew its leaves, so uses stones in the stomach to grind the food

These stones are caled gastroliths

Your go!

Another lucky guess - I was thinking of ostriches. BTW: I also prefer brontosaurus

OK - what are Grant Cole and Marx Jones best remembered for by South Africans?

I have absolutely no idea.

I can't even remember as far back as 15 years ago. Does it have something to do with parachuting and not so much flying of planes?

Or was it the acrobatic planes? But Discombob has mentioned those already. In those days they were not known as Red Bull....can't remember what they were known as but I do remember Eon de Vos was one of the pilots. But I'm babbeling away here without any significance to the question on hand!

Whoa....you got me! Have no idea....are you referring to something related to Cape Town? Have no idea what/where the "land of the white cloud" is? Sorry, I think I will need to keep my mouth shut on this one as I'm out of guesses and at the risk of starting to sound stupid (although I am anyway :laughing: ), it would be best to wait until someone else has got it! :anitongue:

As Discombob says and this group has demonstrated despite some clues this the pair are NOT remembered by ANYONE. What they did may be remembered but they are not! (Google knows almost all!)

Anyway how about a new question or a give-away clue as we have been stuck on this one for over 5 days!!!!!!!

Trev

Methinks it is time for a new question!

We all seem pretty 'dof' - it doesn't look as if anyone is going to get this one after a week of trying.

OK -they were the pilot and "bomber" in the infamour FLOUR BOMB test in New Zealand where a Cessna flew low over the test venue and dropped flour bombs onto the pitch in protest to South Africa's Apartheid policies. One flour bomb hit a New Zealand player and he could not finish the match. SA lost a very closely contested match in the end.

The reason for the question is that the Springboks had to sleep in the stadium because of threats of violence from protesters. The Eden Park stadium was modified to have special escape hatches from the players change rooms (both teams) via the members offices in case of an emergency evacuation was needed. It never was - but in preparation for the Rugby World Cup 2011 - they found these emergency hatches while doin renovations that had been forgotten about and the whole issue made news again in NZ.

BTW: the Maori name for New Zealand is the Land of the Long White Cloud!

OK an Easy one - who is Jacob Westerduin better known as?

Thanks for the answer CH...I was thinking that the event happened in South Africa, not abroad, hence why I had no idea about the white cloud thing! Interesting story, I certainly don't remember any of that!

Wrt your new question....I have absolutely no idea! A little clue perhaps? :anitongue:

In about 1771 a grape vine was planted in Cape Town.

This vine is now said to be the oldest fruit bearing vine in the Southern Hemisphere.

To this day it is still bearing fruit and in 2007 the grapes were hand picked and found to have a "ball reading" of 23 (the liquid is 23 percent sugar by weight). 20kg of grapes remained after careful selection yielding 17 litres of clear juice after hand pressing. This produced 4 magnums and 12 bottles of wine that after being artfully decorated were auctioned off with proceeds going to the ZipZap Circus.

Where is this vine located?

Is Tom "It"?

Yes Tom is "it"

On looking at Google maps for 86 Bree street it would appear that it backs onto the Cape Heritage Hotel which is the location of the vine. More info can be found here

Personally I would never have expected to find it there........now if I design a micro to look like a grape do you think it will get harvested?

Edited by malo mystery

I've always believed the oldest vine in SA was at the Perseverance Tavern but it seems they killed it off in the nineties - probably shamefully neglected

From their website

The oldest vine in South Africa (planted in the 1830's - predating the Drostdy-vine in Graaf-Reinet by at least 30 years) grew in the garden of the Perseverance until the early 1990's. We hope to plant a cutting from the original cultivar in the near future.

Oh well I guess its a nice feather in your cap to claim the honour - the claims are mostly anecdotal I feel.

SO Percies did not know about the 1771 vine!

I am sure someone will crack the answer soon

Trev

On looking at Google maps for 86 Bree street it would appear that it backs onto the Cape Heritage Hotel which is the location of the vine. More info can be found here

Personally I would never have expected to find it there........now if I design a micro to look like a grape do you think it will get harvested?

I worked across the road long before the Heritage Hotel and the other development and remember it from then

Okay a quickie - Where is the Wagenaar Reservoir?