South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

I am not sure but will take a guess it was Freddy Mercury as he died in November of 1991....

Yep - Fred was derad in 91.

And he has a statue (the one on the cover of Made in Heaven album) which stands looking over Lake Geneva at Montroux where Queen had a recording studio.

220px-Freddie_Bronzestatue_rueckansicht.jpg

Wazat - you're it.

Edited by Carbon Hunter

btw this question was prompted as I saw Neil Young on TV this afternoon. First a pretty recent concert from last year and then some live footage from yesteryear

Sorry we missed it as we are big fans.

By which name is Amelia Alice Elizabeth Adkins better known?

You are right GEO936 I just looked back now and found this - it did sound familiar.

Ha - pleased to note that I am not the only one struggling to remember what questions have been asked. I was thinking the other day - what about a bit of a database of questions asked? I wanted to check whether I had asked a question before, but the search fuction only points you to the thread, so you still have to trawl through the 50-something pages yourself. Ja-ja I can already hear the comments flying - why don't I do the database...

Ha - pleased to note that I am not the only one struggling to remember what questions have been asked. I was thinking the other day - what about a bit of a database of questions asked? I wanted to check whether I had asked a question before, but the search fuction only points you to the thread, so you still have to trawl through the 50-something pages yourself. Ja-ja I can already hear the comments flying - why don't I do the database...

To find if a question like that has been asked just enter the keywords in the bottom left of the page where it says "enter keywords", that will search just this thread for those keywords (i think)

Tom...I think we need a bit of help here. What era are we talking about here? Pre-1900s or After-1900s? Like was it the 50s, 60s or what exactly? I have never heard of this name, except that "Lovelace" is the macaroni penguin in "Happy Feet" with voice from Robin Williams (brilliant).

Okay, another try she was a famous opera singer or musician.

she had something to do with designing (or first practically applying) binary "memory" storage? :D

I guess that is as close as you might get

Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace (10 December 1815 – 27 November 1852), born Augusta Ada Byron, was an English writer.

Charles Babbage (the father of modern computing?) designed a machine called the Analytical Engine, it was never built, but had the basic principles of computers - programmable using punch cards a "store" where intermediate results were held and a separate "mill" where the arithmetic processing was performed.

Ada translated a paper on this engine in close consultation with Babbage and he was impressed with her understanding, so much so that he referred to her as "the enchantress of Numbers" and my dear and much admired Interpreter.

Her notes on the engine include what is recognized as the first algorithm intended to be processed by a machine; as such she is often regarded as the world's first computer programmer. :lol:

There is an early programming language named after her "ADA"

Over to you Carbon Hunter

OK

What do the following UK soccer grounds have in common?

Leicester City's Walker Stadium

Birmingham City's St Andrews

Chesterfield's Recreation Ground

Wrexham's Racecourse Ground

Notts County's Meadow Lane

Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough Stadium

Both Leicester City Filbert Way and Filbert Street stadiums

Northampton Town's County Ground

and Liverpoll's Anfield stadium?