South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Oh dear...just hit a blank! I remember this ordeal very well, as I listened to the news on the radio everyday on my way to work. But I can't remember the specifics.....mmmmm........just called my sister and she helped me a bit:

Was it off the island Sipadan (sp?) and the rebels were "Al something" or "Al bufiat (sp?)" or "Abu Siat" or "Abu something" rebels?

Edited by GEO936

Crumbs....I can only check the map of the Philippines that we have at the office tomorrow when I'm there. I am sure the island's name will "jump out" at me when I see it :) I have the name of the rebels at the tip of my tongue....Aby something with a "J"?? ...... I even remember reading all about Monique's story in one of my pregnancy magazines and how she named her son "Luc" which is the French version because one of the other captives, a French lady became their good friend and even their son's godmother.

Crumbs....I can only check the map of the Philippines that we have at the office tomorrow when I'm there. I am sure the island's name will "jump out" at me when I see it :) I have the name of the rebels at the tip of my tongue....Aby something with a "J"?? ...... I even remember reading all about Monique's story in one of my pregnancy magazines and how she named her son "Luc" which is the French version because one of the other captives, a French lady became their good friend and even their son's godmother.

Thinking of the island with a "J"? :P

Thinking of the island with a "J"? :P

Just checked our detailed map of the Indonesia/Philippines/Malaysia at our office and I found it! It is Jolo...I knew there was a "J" somewhere there. My sister confirmed that they were taken from the island of Sipadan. And the rebels were Abu Sayef...

Did you see how tight the timing between myself and Damhuis was - must have been seconds. Just got back from a meeting and winged it off the top of my head as my sister in law had a Dutch boyfriend once who had gone to Surinam. The Dutch boyfriend also had a tattoo somewhere that we did not get to see that was the source of much speculation.

Anyway, I won't get around to a question until tomorrow, so Damhuis if you want to chip in, you're welcome... we can call it a joint venture.

Did you see how tight the timing between myself and Damhuis was - must have been seconds. Just got back from a meeting and winged it off the top of my head as my sister in law had a Dutch boyfriend once who had gone to Surinam. The Dutch boyfriend also had a tattoo somewhere that we did not get to see that was the source of much speculation.

Anyway, I won't get around to a question until tomorrow, so Damhuis if you want to chip in, you're welcome... we can call it a joint venture.

OH WOW!!! No I hadn't seen that at all!! Okay, how about I call it a tie, and you both speak to each other and ask a combined question? LOL about the Dutch boyfriend and his elusive tattoo :unsure:

ha I'm glad I got it seeing as I've been to that accursed city 3 times :rolleyes:

its amazing landing there though, just seeing all those high rise blocks stretching for miles. An incredible sight at night!!

Ok this question will be odd to those not in the know, so i apologise!

What job does the orangutan at Unseen University hold?

Ah carbon Hunter you are a very learned man!

Unseen university is the main wizard university of Ankh-Morpork on Discworld, the series of 36 discworld books by Terry pratchett. For those who haven't read them, I suggest you do :huh:

The librarian was accidentaly turned into an orangutan in a magical accident, and has since decided its far better to be an orangutan, so has resisted any attempts to turn him back. :rolleyes:

And apprently with those long arms, he's a champion football goalie as well, if you have not read the latest book!

OK - let's move on. I must say, I'm beginning to struggle to remember which questions have been asked before, but here goes:

In the same vein as the previous question -

Where is the largest settlement of Japanese people outside of Japan?

Rats - I knew the answer to this one. I have family in Sao Paulo and was amazed to learn of the Japanese population there.....it is a HUGE city...with all sorts of "quarters", etc. We had a great time there....long before the bambinos arrived!! :rolleyes:

well I googled the answer, and will be impressed if anyone knows this

I was interested to note it also stars Marlow Scott Wilson, the Pink Lady :)

Hoping some of our resident fossils get this :P (Come on cincol, cownchicken, miking, iPajero and co!)

Opening myself to some abuse I'm sure ( :huh: )

This "lightie" has too much sick leave due to him me thinks! :lol::lol:

I never was nor ever will be a Jackie Chan karate type movie fan so consequently have no idea. Come-on any over 50's, we need to get the answer. :);)

Incidentally, I was at school with Anneline in Witbank circa 1969 and the last time I met her was at the opening of the Royal Show in PMB about a year or so after she was Miss World. So much for name dropping!

Hey cincol....Jackie Chan does Kung-Fu, not Karate. Karate is from Japan, Kung-Fu is from China. I practiced Kung-Fu (Hong Keun - Tiger & Crane) for 4 years, 4 days a week. When I was very young, fit and had loads more time than I do now.

But we are getting off the topic here.

I have no idea of the name of the movie. Please give a clue?