South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Oh WOW!!! Now you know why we have 936 as part of our handle name - these are our lucky numbers!!

Okay, here goes (inspired by one of the songs on Nadia's Beautiful Creatures CD):

What is the collective noun of the following list of animals:

Ants

Bears (not Polar Bears)

Cobras

Dolphins

Eels

Finches

Gorillas

Hippopotami

Jellyfish

Kangaroos

Oysters

Tigers

errr, are you wanting one person to get all of them, because I don;t think thats going to happen.

And what happens if one person gets them all right except for one, and then someone knows the last one. Who gets to go next? Oh its all too confusing

Ants - swarm or army

Bears (not Polar Bears) - Yogi

Cobras - slither

Dolphins - school

Eels - shiver

Finches - chaf

Gorillas - band

Hippopotami - bulk

Jellyfish - wobble

Kangaroos - troop

Oysters - bed

Tigers - stripe

errr, are you wanting one person to get all of them, because I don;t think thats going to happen.

And what happens if one person gets them all right except for one, and then someone knows the last one. Who gets to go next? Oh its all too confusing

Ants - swarm or army

Bears (not Polar Bears) - Yogi

Cobras - slither

Dolphins - school

Eels - shiver

Finches - chaf

Gorillas - band

Hippopotami - bulk

Jellyfish - wobble

Kangaroos - troop

Oysters - bed

Tigers - stripe

Yes, was hoping that one person could get at least 9 of them right. I thought it was quite an easy question actually? Normally the questions are for people with PhDs, really thought that this was a simple one. :laughing:

PS: You only got 4 correct answers.....come on, it's not that difficult :P

ants - colony

bears - sloth

cobras - pit

dolphins - pod

eels - conger

finches - flock or flight?

gorillas - band

hippo - pod?

jellyfish -

kangaroos - troop

oysters - ?

tigers - ambush

6 out of 12

Will give some help here.

Cobras - think of the goodie that arrows go into

Eels - think of the same collective noun as for bees or ants

Finches - think of how Romeo used his "_ _ a _ m" to win over Juliet

Hippo - think of how you feel when you have had too much to eat (but just singular term) or what happens when two vehicles collide - they _ _ _ _ h.

Jellyfish - what a naughty child gets when his/her parents have had it - _ _ _ _ k!

DB got the oysters one correct.

The rest were correct between DB and CnC.

Edited by GEO936

It would have taken a PERPETUITY for me to get this one althought the PROPRIETOR of the store where I bought my TYPEWRITER, said typing an 11 letter word should be in my REPERTOIRE before I die and they put me in my REQUIETORY

Good luck to you - now knowing the word you got to be good to get it!

Trev

WWwwwwwoooooowwwwwww (Trevor that's amazing - but I think mine is longer :o )

\

Unfortunately I can't take credit for finding those words - Wikipedia it was! I could only find a bunch of 8 letter words.

According to the article there is one 11 letter word and they quote a twelve letter word that is normally spelled with a hyphen (which disqualifies it from just the top row!)

Trev

\

Unfortunately I can't take credit for finding those words - Wikipedia it was! I could only find a bunch of 8 letter words.

According to the article there is one 11 letter word and they quote a twelve letter word that is normally spelled with a hyphen (which disqualifies it from just the top row!)

Trev

now we are in a fix, as typewriter was the word I was looking for, but I can;t give it to you as you googled it :)

I dont think anyone will know the corrrect one, which I just googled and is proterotype :laughing:

I'll have to think of another question I guess

proterotype was not in the article I read

This from wiki answers

The longest word that can be typed out from only the top row of letters is;

Rupturewort

A West Indian plant (Alternanthera polygonoides).

Teetertotter is often put forward as the answer to this question. However, the correct spelling is teeter-totter ( per Merriam-Webster Dictionary ) and the hyphen is not on the top row of letters.

Actually I have found 4 references to this rupturewort being the word. Discombob just for interest can ypou please provide your reference.

Cheers

Trev

proterotype was not in the article I read

This from wiki answers

The longest word that can be typed out from only the top row of letters is;

Rupturewort

A West Indian plant (Alternanthera polygonoides).

Teetertotter is often put forward as the answer to this question. However, the correct spelling is teeter-totter ( per Merriam-Webster Dictionary ) and the hyphen is not on the top row of letters.

Actually I have found 4 references to this rupturewort being the word. Discombob just for interest can ypou please provide your reference.

Cheers

Trev

mine was wiki answers too:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_long...of_the_keyboard

I was going to ask whether it had something to do with sport!! But was too shy to ask a question, as I'm supposed to be answering a question.....still don't know though. I only get to listen to the news on the radio on the way to work - no time to read the newspaper websites!!

I know that she played for the SA Womens' Cricket Team - not sure if she played Test cricket though and also have no idea what controvery you are referring to with Smith and Amla last week [1st Test?]. Smith declared once Amla reached 250 and was well short of Smith's record of 277. SA needed the valuable few overs before stumps to bowl at India. If Amla had pulled his finger out earlier then Smith's record might have been in sight.

Back to Logtenberg - was she "denied" a higher score due to a declaration? Didn't she score 153 in an ODI? Was that a clue?

OK - close enough - she scored 153 not out in a Test match - the highest by a SA women. She made her debut at 14 (second youngest in history). The surpirisingly after taking international womens cricket by storm (she is a bit of a female Don Bradman equivalent) - about a year ago at age 21 she announced her permanent retirement from cricket to take up a sport she has never played (golf) because she can not make money from cricket. She has not played for the past year.

OK - close enough - she scored 153 not out in a Test match - the highest by a SA women. She made her debut at 14 (second youngest in history). The surpirisingly after taking international womens cricket by storm (she is a bit of a female Don Bradman equivalent) - about a year ago at age 21 she announced her permanent retirement from cricket to take up a sport she has never played (golf) because she can not make money from cricket. She has not played for the past year.

Nope - according to Statsguru she played 3 Tests with a best of 74. She scored 153* in an ODI.

Statsguru Link

Batting and fielding averages

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St

Tests 3 5 0 109 74 21.80 385 28.31 0 1 16 0 0 0

ODIs 26 26 4 848 153* 38.54 1149 73.80 2 5 61 4 5 0

T20Is 2 2 0 30 29 15.00 26 115.38 0 0 2 1 0 0

:D Don't know of this one has been asked before but here goes. :D

Which country had the most different colours in its flag and how many?

Funny... read a debate about this not so long ago. I believe if you exclude minor colours, then the answer may be South Africa. If you include minor colours then it's one of those small island country flags which have a coat of arms or some scene etc. in them

:D Don't know of this one has been asked before but here goes. :D

Which country had the most different colours in its flag and how many?

Funny... read a debate about this not so long ago. I believe if you exclude minor colours, then the answer may be South Africa. If you include minor colours then it's one of those small island country flags which have a coat of arms or some scene etc. in them

GR - you are quite correct about the debate on the various flags that have a coat of arms or other "badge/symbol/etc" included, but that is not considered as being part of the clour of the flag though. I was looking for "major" colours then.

DB - correct. SA has 6 colours. No other flag has that many.

thanks.

Where did the Rastafarians get their name from?

Hey mon, gotta be from out of Africa mon! Not Jamaica mon, but from Ethiopia mon! Let's have same ganja there mon. ;)

Correct its from Ethiopia, but I wasn't looking for an actual place mon! You been smoking too much ganja already!

I mean what is the derivative of the actual word rastafarian?