South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Over to you... maybe you can explain your own Bavarian/BMW link..? :surprise:

Oh yes, forgot about Trackz...sure I read about that in one of your logs. Oops, I got the model name all incorrect...it is late, I haven't had much sleep lately :laughing: !! So does this mean it is our turn to go? Can't believe it 'cause I haven't been able to be on line much lately! :o

Yes, your turn.. :o

Thanks...just wanted to make sure :o

Here is a very easy peasy one:

From what/where is the term "Yours sincerely" derived from?

Not a definition out of the dictionary, but the meaning of the word and why it is used as a valediction in a letter.

I dunno, but I did find out the other day that legend Jors' name is derived from 'Jors truly'.. :laughing:

Thanks...just wanted to make sure :o

Not a definition out of the dictionary, but the meaning of the word and why it is used as a valediction in a letter.

I dunno, but I did find out the other day that legend Jors' name is derived from 'Jors truly'.. :laughing:

LOL :surprise::o;) - Yes, I remember Jors telling me that too...I love it! Jors truly!!

Thanks...just wanted to make sure :ph34r:

The word sincere comes from the Latin phrase sine cera which literally means "without wax" from the days of the Roman marblers who used to use a wax and cement mixture to hide imperfections in marble that would then be exposed on a hot day when the wax melted!

The valediction of yours sincerely is used when corresrpondence is addressed to a known [named] person. It therefore shows that you, the writer, is not of devious or fraudulent intentions as you are known to each other.

I hope this is what you are looking for?

Reference = Better Writing, Oxford University Press

In the history of the great game of cricket, how many times have India been beaten by at least an innings in a test match? As a bonus, who did they loose to on each occassion?

Just guessing - 3 times and they lost to South Africa?

Great guess!!!! They have only lost on home soil [in India] by more than an innings 3 times in history - and on all 3 occasions SA were the victors!

Well done! That was far too easy!

Edited by cincol

In the history of the great game of cricket, how many times have India been beaten by at least an innings in a test match? As a bonus, who did they loose to on each occassion?

Great guess!!!! They have only lost on home soil [in India] by more than an innings 3 times in history - and on all 3 occasions SA were the victors!

Oh my goodness....! Can't believe it!! I promise you it was a guess....I thought of one of our lucky numbers from "936", but 9 and 6 sounded like too much and decided on 3. Then thought about the "who" and initially I was going to go with Pakistan, but thought it must have something to do with SA and made a final decision as SA. LOL - it wasn't easy at all, as I don't keep up with the cricket or other sport!! :ph34r:

Now, I'm on the spot as I was not prepared to win this round so soon...will have to think of something to ask now! :ph34r:

Oh my goodness....! Can't believe it!! I promise you it was a guess....I thought of one of our lucky numbers from "936", but 9 and 6 sounded like too much and decided on 3. Then thought about the "who" and initially I was going to go with Pakistan, but thought it must have something to do with SA and made a final decision as SA. LOL - it wasn't easy at all, as I don't keep up with the cricket or other sport!! :ph34r:

Now, I'm on the spot as I was not prepared to win this round so soon...will have to think of something to ask now! :ph34r:

As of a few hours ago make that four times all by South Africa

Okay, here is a question from Rolf:

What does the "C" rating mean on a battery? And as a bonus, if a battery has 10C what would that tell you?

Got something to do with charge and discharge rates for car batteries. I remember from my caravaning days that the higher the rate the longer a battery would last between recharging. You need a very slow discharge rate when using a battery for lighting and other camping type of activities which require a small amount of power over a long period of time as opposed to a high discharge rate in a battery that needs to spin a starter motor which requires a lot of power over a short period of time. :(:tongue:

Okay, here is a question from Rolf:

What does the "C" rating mean on a battery? And as a bonus, if a battery has 10C what would that tell you?

Got something to do with charge and discharge rates for car batteries. I remember from my caravaning days that the higher the rate the longer a battery would last between recharging. You need a very slow discharge rate when using a battery for lighting and other camping type of activities which require a small amount of power over a long period of time as opposed to a high discharge rate in a battery that needs to spin a starter motor which requires a lot of power over a short period of time. :(:tongue:

eish...cincol, is this quiz just between you and I?

Rolf says you have more or less the idea, but it isn't the answer he is looking for. You have touched on it...

Okay - I'll give it to cincol! Sorry, that it seemed like a bit of a boring one!

The C Rating is the maximum discharge rate of a battery. A rating of 1C would mean you discharge the entire battery in one hour, a rating of 10C means you could discharge the entire battery in 6 mins.

Rolf discovered this while building his model airplane/glider!

Go for it cincol!

Graham Smith has the record for most test runs scored in an innings at 277. Who previously held the record and what was the score?

Hint: The person concerned is currently in India. :unsure:

That cant be right!

Brian Lara scored 375 in an innings a few years back

Correction - most runs scored by a SA batsman. Apologies.

I guess you would be referring to highest score by a South African. I would guess that would be Gary Kirsten who is and has been in India for a few years now coaching their team.

Spot on! Go for it malo mystery

Gary Kirsten's record was 275.

Edited by cincol

For a moment I thought I knew, but I'm thinking of carrilion (sp?) which is the sound made when a group of bells are played or something.

I am going to give this to the Pooks as he seems the closest so far to a question that although I thought was interesting might have been a little obscure.

To quote wikipedia:

A Carillon is a musical instrument that is usually housed in a free-standing bell tower, or the belfry of a church or other municipal building. The instrument consists of at least 23 cast bronze cup-shaped bells, which are played serially to play a melody, or sounded together to play a chord. A carillon is played by striking a keyboard called a "baton" with the fists and by pressing the keys of a pedal keyboard with the feet. The keys mechanically activate levers and wires that connect to metal clappers that strike the bells, allowing the performer, the carillonneur, to vary the intensity of the note according to the force applied to the key.

The carillon is the heaviest of all musical instruments; the total weight of bells alone can be 100 tons in the largest instruments.

The War Memorial Carillon is in the tower of the City Hall overlooking the Grand Parade, consists of 39 bells and weighs in at a hefty 15.5 tons (some pages say 37 bells). It is played by Cape Town's lone carilloneur Donovan Bagley. Installed in 1924 in memory of those who fell in World War I, the carillon has rung out on numerous historic occasions, including the release from prison of Nelson Mandela 20 years ago.

carillon041306_430341.jpg

A carillon

Over to you Pooks

Thanks Malo Mystery. I did not know the instrument/collection of bells was called that, but I thought the music played in that fashion is called such. Had a look at Dictionary.com (afterwards) and it seems the term can refer to the instrument and the composition.

What is the 'you are here' arrow called on maps etc?

PS: Going cycling in France in a few months and it reminds me of the "Vous et ici" that you see there quite often.

PPS: Lucky me...

Edited by the pooks

Is there a cache close by?

I would like to visit some time.

Loads of caches, but I need to restrain myself otherwise I will generate some opposition. So I emailed a local French cacher (in English) and got a shortlist of must do's. We are going to the Pont du Gard amonst others and the place where van Gogh cut his ear off.

In case anyone has lost the plot with all this peripheral banter, here is the current question:

Is there a cache close by?

I would like to visit some time.

Loads of caches, but I need to restrain myself otherwise I will generate some opposition. So I emailed a local French cacher (in English) and got a shortlist of must do's. We are going to the Pont du Gard amonst others and the place where van Gogh cut his ear off.

In case anyone has lost the plot with all this peripheral banter, here is the current question:

I think Damhuis clan is referring to a cache close the carillon, not close to France :o

Maybe its called the Cursor :lol: