South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Dire Straits? Brothers in arms?

Good guess. First CD to sell more than a million copies (I think), but no.

ok How about the Rolling Stones?

And is that further back that MJ or further back than Fleetwood mac?

Nope. Right era, their early days...

pop album

...not so much rock..

It was ABBA.

I don't remember the name of the album.

YAY! Abba it was! The album was ""The Visitors" (wonder what one of those would be worth today?)

The first album released onto CD was by Billy Joel (52nd Street).

Take it away TG!

Hey, that's my favourite ABBA album! There I said it, I like ABBA...

You're it D'Bob.

Sylvia Wright coined the term mondegreen in her essay "The Death of Lady Mondegreen," which was published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954.[3] In the essay, Wright described how, as a young girl, she misheard the final line of the first stanza from the 17th-century ballad "The Bonnie Earl O'Murray." She wrote:

When I was a child, my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy's Reliques, and one of my favorite poems began, as I remember:

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,

Oh, where hae ye been?

They hae slain the Earl O'Murray,

And Lady Mondegreen.

The actual fourth line is "And laid him on the green". As Wright explained the need for a new term, "The point about what I shall hereafter call mondegreens, since no one else has thought up a word for them, is that they are better than the original".

Definitely "Dakar" from the old BMW FS650 Dakar bike that you used to have. (Nice replacement by the way). I'm not sure about the "Drix"? Something from when you were a young lad? I think it was GreenJaM that got you hooked into geocaching if my memory serves me correctly.

Definitely "Dakar" from the old BMW FS650 Dakar bike that you used to have. (Nice replacement by the way). I'm not sure about the "Drix"? Something from when you were a young lad? I think it was GreenJaM that got you hooked into geocaching if my memory serves me correctly.

Jip! Never mind the Drix, just a name evolving from Hendrik (birth certificate, but you'll ruin a friendship if you call me that! ;) ) which was replaced by Drikus to distinguish between all the Hendriks in the family years ago, which became Drix by friends after school.

And yes, my current F800GS is the official Dakar F650GS replacement, but they didn't call it the Dakar or the Adventure as some expected... to me, the Dakar (bike) will always be special as it started my second life as a biker (or more specific an adventure biker, as these bikes are classed) and my geocaching path started soon after, the perfect marriage! Trackz introduced me to geocaching, but I didn't quite get it - GreenJaM made me get it, so I'm grateful to both! B) A real highlight is still doing our 500th find together (with GreenJaM) within 12 months from registration (for both of us) - took some juggling near the end to make it co-incide.

So, although I don't ride a Dakar anymore, it will be my great memory forever, so dakardrix it will stay...

Over to you... maybe you can explain your own Bavarian/BMW link..? :laughing:

Edited by dakardrix

Jip! Never mind the Drix, just a name evolving from Hendrik (birth certificate, but you'll ruin a friendship if you call me that! ;) ) which was replaced by Drikus to distinguish between all the Hendriks in the family years ago, which became Drix by friends after school.

And yes, my current F800GS is the official Dakar F650GS replacement, but they didn't call it the Dakar or the Adventure as some expected... to me, the Dakar (bike) will always be special as it started my second life as a biker (or more specific an adventure biker, as these bikes are classed) and my geocaching path started soon after, the perfect marriage! Trackz introduced me to geocaching, but I didn't quite get it - GreenJaM made me get it, so I'm grateful to both! :) A real highlight is still doing our 500th find together (with GreenJaM) within 12 months from registration (for both of us) - took some juggling near the end to make it co-incide.

So, although I don't ride a Dakar anymore, it will be my great memory forever, so dakardrix it will stay...

Over to you... maybe you can explain your own Bavarian/BMW link..? :blink:

Oh yes, forgot about Trackz...sure I read about that in one of your logs. Oops, I got the model name all incorrect...it is late, I haven't had much sleep lately B) !! So does this mean it is our turn to go? Can't believe it 'cause I haven't been able to be on line much lately! :laughing: