South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

1. nylon

2 the flugal horn

edited to add

Blast! I actually typed out the answer to question 1 correctly and then changed it to my current answer!!!

Of course I made up the flugal horn!!!

2nd edit

dadgum and Blast - I can't even make up a fake instruments name properly - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugelhorn

DOUBLE FAIL for me.

Edited by trevorh7000

1. nylon

2 the flugal horn

edited to add

Blast! I actually typed out the answer to question 1 correctly and then changed it to my current answer!!!

Of course I made up the flugal horn!!!

2nd edit

dadgum and Blast - I can't even make up a fake instruments name properly - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugelhorn

DOUBLE FAIL for me.

This thread has gone very quiet - maybe I should have replied to Trevs post earlier (which I don't fully follow)

"Blast! I actually typed out the answer to question 1 correctly and then changed it to my current answer!!!"

So what is that first answer you typed? You probably know the answer but think old fashioned electrical fittings

"the flugal horn"

this is actually a lot closer than you thought

I don't want to hold up the thread unnecessarily so if Trev or anyone else does not come up with something soon, i'll give some more nudges to move it along.

The Cape berg kwaga?

The last living Quagga died at the Amsterdam Zoo. It wasn't known at the time, simply because the term Quagga was applied to any zebra found in South Africa, but when the last Quagga mare died in Amsterdam all the rest had been hunted to extinction - although controversy existed as to whether the Quagga was just a variant of the plains zebra (known in Southern Africa as the Burchell's zebra). DNA testing on skins from mounted specimens has since shown that the Quagga was in fact a sub-species (it was the first extinct animal to have its mitochondrial DNA determined). The Quagga was striped only on the head and neck, and had a brownish coat rather than white.

It is not know for sure when the last wild Quagga died but I remember reading an article at the Chester Zoo, stating that the last wild Quagga was shot near King William's Town more than 10 years earlier.

DamhuisClan your it.

I haven't had internet access for a while. Of course all the questions I could answer had to appear in that time! (;

I just have a comment about the Einstein & Toblerone: it's almost certainly a myth that Einstein signed the patent for Toblerone. It's true that Einstein worked in the Swiss patent office during the time that the patent for Toblerone was signed, but that's where it ends. Unfortunately the story attached to the myth is so pleasant that it's unlikely to die anytime soon...

I haven't had internet access for a while. Of course all the questions I could answer had to appear in that time! (;

I just have a comment about the Einstein & Toblerone: it's almost certainly a myth that Einstein signed the patent for Toblerone. It's true that Einstein worked in the Swiss patent office during the time that the patent for Toblerone was signed, but that's where it ends. Unfortunately the story attached to the myth is so pleasant that it's unlikely to die anytime soon...

I read that too but loved the story and seeing as no one seems able to proove or dis-prove it, I stuck it in. It was a question in Trivial Persuit. I wonder if anyone has taken it up with them? Don't they offer an award if they have a wrong answer? :(

I disqualified myself by googling, but was fascinated by his full name: Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso

That's quite a mouthful. Now I would like to get hold of the DVD "Surviving Picasso" starring Anthony Hopkins, but it is quite scarce and expensive.