South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

If your Wassermann test came up positive, what would you be suffering from?

Syphilis!

Leaving the Pooks well alone now,

12 men have walked on the moon. We all know the name of the first man to walk on the moon.

2 men have been to the deepest point in the ocean.

Who are they?

(and for interest only, when and what was the name of their vessel?)

12 men have walked on the moon. We all know the name of the first man to walk on the moon.

2 men have been to the deepest point in the ocean.

Who are they?

(and for interest only, when and what was the name of their vessel?)

Hmm, I am guessing that one of them may have been Cousteau. As for the name of the vessel...for some reason Atlantis comes to mind, but I am not sure.

I guess the next obvious question is "Where is GR"? <_<

Answer : No where to be found!!!!!! Yay I answered correctly do I get to go now!!!

Seriously we should probably have some reasonable time limit to keep the game flowing. Has any one PM'd GlobaRat to find up whats up? I once received a gentle nudge via PM that it was my turn as sometimes one gets busy and forgets to check the forums.

Just so GR does not get a deluge of messages I will PM him right now so if you have not already there will be no need to now.....

Trev

Trev - you're it -Tangiers in Morocco is it.

:lol: Just out of interest:-

Guess it is the age old question of what defines a "City". Definition varies across the world, example in Europe a general requirement is that it must have a Cathedral. Population requirements seem to vary between 5000-10000 people. In some countries it may merely be an administrative seat to qualify.

Bizerte City in Tunisia is defined as a city, being the oldest city in Tunisia and the seat of local government. It's a full 2 degrees further north than Tangiers and is 13km from Ras ben Sakka which is most northern point of the African continent.

Take it away Trev.

Edited by GlobalRat

Trev - you're it -Tangiers in Morocco is it.

:) Just out of interest:-

Guess it is the age old question of what defines a "City". Definition varies across the world, example in Europe a general requirement is that it must have a Cathedral. Population requirements seem to vary between 5000-10000 people. In some countries it may merely be an administrative seat to qualify.

Bizerte City in Tunisia is defined as a city, being the oldest city in Tunisia and the seat of local government. It's a full 2 degrees further north than Tangiers and is 13km from Ras ben Sakka which is most northern point of the African continent.

Take it away Trev.

Good question = I just went with an Arab country energy study I have been using - and they define Tangiers as the northernmost "city" in Africa. So yes - it is subjective and I did not look further into their assumptions.

Thanks for the pointer though on checking "facts" :P

Thanks - I also thought I was wrong as when I googled I also found that other place was considered the northern most. Anyway if I had not been studying that area via GE Inever would have guessed Tangier!

How many people died during the construction of the Panama Canal? I'll accept to the nearest couple of thousand!!!

Trev

Sorry all - I was away in Arniston for the weekend and had no Internet access!

The answer is 27500 (according to the Wikipedia article so Pooks take it away

Trev

That was so lucky. I first guessed 40 000 and then thought well the question said "to the nearest couple of thousand" so I thought maybe not so many 10s of thousands, and maybe something in-between.

What are Sodium Thiopental, Pancuronium Bromide, and Potassium Chloride taken in that order?

Sorry all - I was away in Arniston for the weekend and had no Internet access!

The answer is 27500 (according to the Wikipedia article so Pooks take it away

Trev

That was so lucky. I first guessed 40 000 and then thought well the question said "to the nearest couple of thousand" so I thought maybe not so many 10s of thousands, and maybe something in-between.

What are Sodium Thiopental, Pancuronium Bromide, and Potassium Chloride taken in that order?

Sounds like a lethal injection when administering a death sentence.

Sounds like a lethal injection when administering a death sentence.

Sodium Thiopental......time to count some sheep

Pancuronium Bromide....get those muscles really relaxed....even the diaphragm will rest

Potassium Chloride....given in high doses will stop the ticker

All sounds quite pleasant......but.... :)

Could one of them have been the joint Man of the Series award between Boucher and Swann?

Two 'Man of the Match' the other one?

Spot on CnC! Normally there is only ONE winner. In this case BOTH Series and match had joint winners. Cannot think of any other series where that has happened.

Thanks CnC

Some people think that Belgium is only known for it's chocolate. This is as wrong as you can be so here's a double question:

1: The first synthetic material was invented by a Belgian: name the inventor or name of the material

2: A musical instrument was invented by a Belgian: Which instrument (bonus: name the inventor).

Boo, down with double questions :)

After all if 2 players each get one question right, who gets to ask the next question :huh:

It's all a fun thing, so I'm very relaxed about it. I've already thought of the case where 2 players each get one question right I'll just volunteer that any of the two can ask the next question on a first come first ask basis. If somebody gets one right and nothing else is forthcoming then the one answer is good enough...