South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

A little generous there, I feel! :)

Was watching an amazing documentary called "Life" last night:

What is the largest venomous reptile in the world?

Isn't that the Komodo Dragon?

That's correct! It was thought that they killed through sepsis from the bacteria in their mouth, but new research shows they have an extremly slow, but progressive, venom.

Go, go Besem!

All right, next question. How many geocachers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? q:

Grappie...

Here's a little piece of trivia I've known for ages. And if you don't know the answer, you can work it out...

There is exactly one number which, when written out in English, has its letters in alphabetical order. Which number is it?

The closest I come is "eight", but not exactly tight either.

Yes that is what I triumphantly posted in all caps and then started thinking what my question should be. on rereading my post I noticed the i before the h - hence the edit!. I wrote all the numbers from zero to twenty and none have their letters in alphabetical order as far as i can see.

Perhaps this is some sort of trick question?

Ah ha! The Penny has dropped .........

I believe the answer is F O R T Y !!!!!!

Edited by trevorh7000

A little generous there, I feel! :)

Was watching an amazing documentary called "Life" last night:

What is the largest venomous reptile in the world?

Capedoc you silly guy, I asked this question 2 weeks ago!

That would explain the rapid answer! I only read this thread now and then.....

Our Amelia was born in East London district in 1865 where she later married Herbert Saddleton ----.

Later they together with their 7 children moved to Johannesburg. This is where she began a business which would make her famous.

The family later moved to Cape Town and settled in Plumstead.

After her husbands death she moved to Fish Hoek.

Our Amelia was born in East London district in 1865 where she later married Herbert Saddleton ----.

Later they together with their 7 children moved to Johannesburg. This is where she began a business which would make her famous.

The family later moved to Cape Town and settled in Plumstead.

After her husbands death she moved to Fish Hoek.

mmmmm...

I've only ever heard of a Herbert Saddleton as the names behind the initials HS Balls, so I'll guess she was Mrs HS Balls, i.e. Mrs Balls Chutney?

I think there's a grandson or great grandson that still sells the "original" stuff at Cape Town markets as opposed to the Unilever version which most of us know.

hehehe thanks to CnC's girlie question, I get a turn..

How about a Smurf question? Awe c'mon!!!

With pleasure!!!

Here goes:

We know the smurfs best from the cartoon series on television. These showed from 1980. The smurfs are much older than this, however. They were first introduced as a comic strip.

My question: How old are the smurfs really?

:)

We would reckon on the late 1970's/early 80's.

The first we became aware of Smurfs was when one of the petrol companies sold/gave them away? at the filling stations.

My mom at that stage worked for the advertising company that ran the campaign and my kids were fortunate enough to get the full set of Smurfs plus their little house.

We still have them!

The cartoons (television series) were showed in the 1980's... but the original comic strip is older, and not American..

I want a Sassette smurf... which I cannot seem to get hold of anywhere... you get Sassette with brown and with red hair - needless to mention which scarce collectable I'm interested in. :-)

Bet you don't have her in your collection CnC!?

The MacDonalds group put the bigger size smurfs in their kiddies mcmeal packs some years ago. The MacDonalds at the intersection of Beyers Naude & the N1 has two or three and could have made a fortune out of selling me just one Sassette from their toy showcase - but apparently they 'don't know' where the key is to give me one. :)

My one daughter has the collection at the moment and our granddaughter is playing with them.

We have got Smurfette - blonde I think.

'Bob - have no idea how many we have - it is a case full.

We also have a collection of Play People - pirate ship, space ship etc.We are just waiting for our grandchildren to grow bigger so that we can pass it on.

We'll take a guess at 50 years old and they are either Scandanavian or German. I lean more to the Scandanavian side.

Edited by cownchicken

Not Dutch... they were created by a Belgian guy.

I believe they are called 'Schtroumpfs' in French and I've seen them called 'Pitufos' on a Facebook group (don't know in which language that is).

There is also a website where one can buy figurines where they are called 'Schlumpfe'.

We'll take a guess at 50 years old and they are either Scandanavian or German.

They were first created in a cartoon strip in 1958 which makes them 1 year older than Barbie. :-) 51 years = close enough CnC.

You're smurf! :)

Edited by Team Ginger

They were first created in a cartoon strip in 1958 which makes them 1 year older than Barbie. :-) 51 years = close enough CnC.

You're smurf! ;)

Oh Smurf it all!! In anticipation of a Smurf related question I did the necessary online research after I posted my request. So you can imagine my utter joy at actually knowing the correct answer. I was enjoying reading the other guesses thinking to myself I am gonna get this one........well that will teach me to be away from my pc for so long. It was worth it though as I finally did Sentinel View today. Well worth it - what a beuatiful view.

In my quest for finding aout all things Smurf I came across something quite amusing that changes your perspective on the little blue guys If you don;t want your view of Smurfs for ever tainted don;t look for it. I am sorry even the titbit I give you might conjure up the wrong images in your head!!! Just google for Smuckfest!!! if you dare!

Trev