South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

I am looking for the longest or most interesting palindromic sentence, phrase, paragraph, word or entire novel that you can come up with.

We are way past this question, but I saw this this morning

Owl Conversation

It's "A Palindromic Conversation Between Two Owls," by George Marvill:

Owl 1: "Too hot to hoot!"

Owl 2: "Too hot to woo!"

Owl 1: "Too wot?"

Owl 2: "Too hot to hoot!"

Owl 1: "To woo!"

Owl 2: "Too wot?"

Owl 1:"To hoot! Too hot to hoot!"

twoowls.jpg

Via J-Walkblog

I am looking for the longest or most interesting palindromic sentence, phrase, paragraph, word or entire novel that you can come up with.

We are way past this question, but I saw this this morning

Owl Conversation

It's "A Palindromic Conversation Between Two Owls," by George Marvill:

Owl 1: "Too hot to hoot!"

Owl 2: "Too hot to woo!"

Owl 1: "Too wot?"

Owl 2: "Too hot to hoot!"

Owl 1: "To woo!"

Owl 2: "Too wot?"

Owl 1:"To hoot! Too hot to hoot!"

twoowls.jpg

Via J-Walkblog

HAHA you would have won if you had come up with that earlier!

OK - the question seems to be a little difficult. Bibendum is non other than the MICHELIN MAN!

OK here is another.

The new movie INVICTUS is directed by Clint Eastwood. Who performs the score?

The actor that plays Joel Stransky must surely perform the "score"

*Ducks and runs*

Too quick - I tell you what - if no ones gets this - you're it :D

That was a bit of a guestimate. I had a hunch he had children in the same industry, but the rest was guesswork.

I can imagine the following question would strike a nostalgic chord amongst many of us (I still have one of the three and will not let anyone play with it!). The winner will be at the sole discretion of the question setter (that's me, in case you are wondering)

What three famous toy lines were made at the Binns Road factory in Liverpool?

Dinkey Toys, mecanno sets and hornby trains?

Note to self: Do not underestimate the amount of seemingly useless information stored in a geocachers brain! Well done Tom. I was expecting partial answers, which would have developed into a conundrum, but you have relieved me of that problem.

I need to add a story:

I was about in standard three, when my mother sent my elder brother and I to town for Xmas shopping with a shopping list (in a 1966 International bakkie with only 3 gears, but my father only used the top gear. The bakkie had a moerse engine and could go anywhere in top gear). Anyway, I digress. On the shopping list was written Meccano. So I am looking at this list and says to ouboet - what is this on the list? he says (after some quick thinking) "Mekka-no nuts". It had me completely fooled. I firmly believed we had to buy some nuts (the eating kind) for mom's Xmas cake, until I got my present and then it all figured. I had got a #3 set for Xmas. I since upgraded to a #7 and still have the set.

Over to you Tom (and you might as well tell us why you know this information - do you still have a Dinky toy or Train set?)

I have to be absolutely honest, but I guessed that it might have been Dinkey toys, but then the other two all from the same era just seemed to fit as well.

No I don't have any, but remember many enjoyable hours playing with two of the three - never had a train-set.

Okay who is or was Dave Ulmer and what is his claim to fame?

Edited by tomtwogates

A musician maybe... His marketing guru however told him that with a name like Dave Ulmer he would not sell to many albums though, so they thought out a new name that sounds cool and will have all the teenage girls go silly...

I'm grabbing at straws here... Actually I have no clue...

Come on guys! Know your history!!!

He placed the first Geocache. The "Father of Geocaching".

Surprisingly he doesn't do it any more......

Correct CapeDoc he placed the first cache on May 3, 2000 - check out the cache and plaque to commemorate this at GCGV0P.

A lot of water under the bridge since then - Over to you Doc.

Sorry about that Doc!

Okay - what is the answer to Green Eggs and Bacon ....... NO NO I kid you only! Not stressing at all!! :angry::lol:

Here the real question who was GVW Clowes and what was his claim to fame?

Uh... the first guy to FIND a geocache, perhaps? :o

Nope but he was a Lieutenant which might help

Edited by tomtwogates

Last British Officer to have died in the Anglo Boer war?

As mentioned I thought that this guy was the most southern killed British officer, but it turns out not to be - he is actually the guy buried in the Cederberg at the very lonely spot called "Engelsman se graf" at the junction of the road between Clanwilliam, Calvinia and Wuppertal. He was killed in a ambush and was buried where he died - his family later put a headstone on the spot.

So you are close enough Wazat - and over to you!

Thanks Tomtwogates. Just took a guess on that.

“Baily's beads” refer to what?

A question for the astronomer on the forum! During a total solar eclipse, just before totality, the sun can be seen shining through valleys on the edge of the moon's disk, giving the appearance of beads of sunlight around the dark disk of the moon, which are called Bailey's Beads.

Thanks Tomtwogates. Just took a guess on that.

“Baily's beads” refer to what?

A question for the astronomer on the forum! During a total solar eclipse, just before totality, the sun can be seen shining through valleys on the edge of the moon's disk, giving the appearance of beads of sunlight around the dark disk of the moon, which are called Bailey's Beads.

Well done Besem. Didn't expect that so quick.

Guessing.....

Least is 2

Most....Hmmmm...4 or 5?

Have seen 2 total eclipses. An awesome experience! Very addictive! Put it on your bucket list!

First was in Zambia (what a drive that was!). Saw solar flares (they were pink, that was a shock, (Besem...why?)), Baily's beads, Diamond ring, a nightjar flying overhead! Other was Shingwetsi...overcast :D

Guessing.....

Least is 2

Most....Hmmmm...4 or 5?

Have seen 2 total eclipses. An awesome experience! Very addictive! Put it on your bucket list!

First was in Zambia (what a drive that was!). Saw solar flares (they were pink, that was a shock, (Besem...why?)), Baily's beads, Diamond ring, a nightjar flying overhead! Other was Shingwetsi...overcast :D

I'll give it to you. Every year there are a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 7 eclipses (lunar and solar together) of which at least 2 and at most 5 are solar. Most of the time (75% or so) there are only two solar eclipses in a year - the last year that had 5 was 1935. Mostly these eclipses are only partial - a total solar eclipse occurs roughly once every two years. For total solar eclipses, there can be a maximum of 2 in a year, and the last time this happened was in 1889 and the next time will be in 2057. The next three total solar eclipses visible from South Africa will be in 2030, 2046 and 2055.

I'm not sure why the flares are pink, but excited hydrogen is reddish-pink in colour, and I think that the extreme contrasts visible during a solar eclipse creates the illusion that it's pinker than it really is. You are extremely fortunate to have seen two total eclipses... I haven't seen a single one (I travelled to Tzaneen for the last one, but we were clouded out!).

Over to you!

Edited by besem