South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

I really don't remember any dogs in the last World Cup, but then again I did miss a lot of it so maybe I missed the dog?

I also don't watch much TV, so have no idea about the dog in the UK series.

So, I'll have to guess again.

This dog was the mascot for the UK soccer team and he is a labrador? He ran onto the field and scored a goal? :P

OK - this one seems to have people stumped - I actually thought Discombob or Bats would have got it.

Pickles was the dog that found the Football World Cup trophy after it was stolen in the UK in the 1960's. He sniffed it out - wrapped in newspaper - under a hedge while out for a walk with his owner.

England then went on to win the next World Cup in London.

Next Question:

What is an EXCLAVE?

OK - this one seems to have people stumped - I actually thought Discombob or Bats would have got it.

Pickles was the dog that found the Football World Cup trophy after it was stolen in the UK in the 1960's. He sniffed it out - wrapped in newspaper - under a hedge while out for a walk with his owner.

England then went on to win the next World Cup in London.

Next Question:

What is an EXCLAVE?

hey, at least I managed to figure out it had something to do with the UK and soccer!! :)

what!!

You got the wrong guy, I tend to despise football - never knew the cup went missing!

Jokes aside - an enclave is a bit of country surrounded by another country eg. the Vatican so an exclave must be a bit of a country not surrounded i.e. not attached to the country it belongs to?

Sounds about right, what used to be Walvis Bay, comes to mind...

tomtwogates - yep - spot on.

So Walvis bay was an ENclave in Namibia - but was an EXclave of South Africa

An interesting aside - I'm looking to do some desert exploring this week - and found an Enclave of Oman in the UAE (called Madha) - but what is really interesting - is that this small - totally surrounded enclave has a small totally surrounded enclave within it's "borders". So the village of Nahwa - belongs to UAE but lies totally within an enclave of Oman.

Following on from the question earlier - this is the only doubly landlocked enclave in the world. Or at least landlocked by another landlocked enclave??????

I think I know this, thanks to David Kramers latest play, which was shown in London recently - I think it was called koos Sas: the last Bushman of montagu.

I never saw the play sadly, but I guess he was the last Khoi san of the montagu area. I think the play was about his fight against racism and his battle to survive with the baddies out to get him.I guess the museum has some interesting display about his llife story or some relics of his life there?

I think I know this, thanks to David Kramers latest play, which was shown in London recently - I think it was called koos Sas: the last Bushman of montagu.

I never saw the play sadly, but I guess he was the last Khoi san of the montagu area. I think the play was about his fight against racism and his battle to survive with the baddies out to get him.I guess the museum has some interesting display about his llife story or some relics of his life there?

Well done DBob - Koos Sas, who lived a nomadic existence in the Montagu area in the early 1900's, stole sheep and was often caught by the local constable Tonie Swanepoel. Then he was accused of killing a farmer and gaoled. Before he could be convicted he escaped and made his way to Namaqualand. After being on the run for 5 years, he was caught and shot. At the time of his death Khoisan graves were being robbed and their remains sold to museums locally and overseas. The dominee decided that Koos Sas's skeleton was 'a good example of the San people' and he took it to the USA when he went there to study medicine. The skull was later returned to the University of Stellenbosch and eventually placed in the care of the Montagu Museum, where it was on display until recently.

And you are correct about David Kramer - he apparently saw the skull there and wrote a play about it which has toured to London.

Over to you Discombob

Yipee....

O.K. Here goes...

There was a total of 52 Springbok Captains selected thus far for official Tests...

They are listed chronologically as per the date of their first test as Captain...

The 1st was H.H. Castens...

No 18 - Danie Craven...

No 39 - Naas Botha...

Who was Captain no 50 ?

Way to go Cincol....

You are a true Springbok fan...

John Smit was indeed named as the 50th Captain...

He was sidelined last year because of an illegal tackle by Brad Thorn of New Zealand...

Victor Matfield was then called in as stand in Captain, but even he had to sit one test out due to a minor injury... (He eventually captained the team 10 times)...

Then Johan Muller did the honours as no 52...

John will lead the Boks into battle against Ireland at Croke Park this weekend for a world record 67th time...

All yours Cincol...

Thought about it some more... We have this sort of unofficial policy to rest our World Cup Captain during one of the easier pool-games... So Corne Krige would have had a feet-up day...

John Smit started playing for the Boks in 2001, but in the early years mostly came on from the bench...

Wild guess here... A team that the coaching staff could take a risk against...

Either Romania or Georgia...

Thought about it some more... We have this sort of unofficial policy to rest our World Cup Captain during one of the easier pool-games... So Corne Krige would have had a feet-up day...

John Smit started playing for the Boks in 2001, but in the early years mostly came on from the bench...

Wild guess here... A team that the coaching staff could take a risk against...

Either Romania or Georgia...

Henzz - covering your bets with 2 answers!! :angry: Georgia it was.

OOps....................... logged in on Carbon Hunter's PC and answered under his name!! Either way, Henzz - take it away!

Edited by Carbon Hunter

well, there is debate on that point, but I'll give it to you, thats the answer.

Recent research has shown that it is not the bacteria thats kills but actual venom glands.

David has managed to film for the first time a Komodo dragon hunt of a water buffalo. The dragon bit the buffalo on the ankle and then backed off. The buggers then proceeded to hang around this poor buffalo for 3 weeks, while he slowly got weaker, and when he was looking at his worst, they gave him a good lick on the nose before finishing off - poor chap :angry:

your cue!