South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

You're it Tom! :)

Must admit I have never yet visited the museum, but have seen the turn-off to Loeriesfontein many times - maybe next time!

Here goes -

Building started in 1859 and I was utilised first on 1 May 1860 it was then found I was not always fulfilling my primary objective.

It took a tragedy in 1919 to get something done and work started 1913 and again I was utilised on 11 March 1919.

What and where am I and what was the tragedy? :lol:

The first lighthouse at Cape Point?

Plus shipwreck because they could not see the lighthouse because it was in the mist, so they built the second one lower down. If this is correct then give it to CnC - as they probably knew the rest as well (and I would probably not have got the 1st part)

Wow that was quick - don't you people work - He He!

You are correct Pooks and CnC- it is the Cape Point lighthouse first lit in 1860. Not long after this it was noted that because of the weather conditions the peak was shrouded in fog for about 9 000 hours average per year and that the peak was probably not the best position for the light. This was noted in reports in 1872, 1890 and 1906.

It took the sinking of the Lusitania – a Portuguese liner in 1911 on Bellows Rock just south of Cape Point, on a night when the light was hidden in the fog, to get the situation changed.

Harry Cooper an engineer selected the site of the present lighthouse 87 metres above the sea. Work started in 1913 and it was an engineering feat to get the site blasted level and access provided to the site. The lamp was lit on 11 March 1919.

so over to Cownchicken again!

Came across it while reading a travelling book and filed it in the old grey matter.... occasionally it manages to retain something :)

Next Question

Sticking with a geographical theme:-

Definition: A landlocked country surrounded by only other landlocked countries may be called a "doubly landlocked" country. A person in such a country has to cross at least two borders to reach a coastline.

There are only two countries in the world, name them to win this prize :lol:

That depends if you conside a new flag and name a new country - the geographic area stayed pretty much the same - and I think that was in about 98.

Rwanda also changed their flag in about 95 after the genocide - but all else remained the same.

I think what you are looking for is Eritrea - after the war in NE Africa?

Eritrea it is! Go for it CH. :lol: