South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Isn't it that pool at some holiday resort with 10 or so hotels surrounding it. I think that pool is around 2 km wide, and one can even sail boats on it.

Oh WOW!! Sounds more like a dam than a pool to me!! Who on earth could make a pool so big? Obviously they don't do any water changes! :blink:

Isn't it that pool at some holiday resort with 10 or so hotels surrounding it. I think that pool is around 2 km wide, and one can even sail boats on it.

Oh WOW!! Sounds more like a dam than a pool to me!! Who on earth could make a pool so big? Obviously they don't do any water changes! :rolleyes:

[link to images removed until C&C confirm correct answer]

Edited by DamhuisClan

Oh WOW!! Sounds more like a dam than a pool to me!! Who on earth could make a pool so big? Obviously they don't do any water changes! :rolleyes:

You're probably thinking about the right place, length incorrect though.

????? :D

Oh WOW!! Sounds more like a dam than a pool to me!! Who on earth could make a pool so big? Obviously they don't do any water changes! :)

????? :)

I had added a link to photos of this huge pool. But since it could be the right answer, I opted to remove the link untill such time as the question is answered. It could also have been possible the you might want to add the link to the resort in, and did not want to take that away from you, since you asked the question.

I'll try again, unlikely to be more than two km's, not a mile, perhaps ¾ mi? (±1200m)

Or a kilometer?

1013m to be precise. South American resort of San Alfonso del Mar in Chile, this artificial lagoon and swimming pool is eight hectares in size and contains an incredible 250,000 cubic meters of water. The revolutionary clear water artificial lagoons, transparent to a depth of 35 meters and unprecedented in design and construction methods, are the brainchild of Crystal Lagoons founder, biochemist and Chilean businessman Fernando Fischmann. Equivalent in size to an incredible 6,000 standard domestic pools

san_alfonso_del_mar.jpg

Take it away Jors

A distance measuring device which uses the time that micro or radio waves take to reach a distance once they have been transmitted....... or something like that.

Easy heh? Take it, GEO936!

Some reading if you're interested:

Invention of the Tellurometer – a giant leap forward

The story behind the Tellurometer story

Whoop Whoop!! Well, not really that easy, but the rules say "no googling" which means that the good old fashioned paper dictionary on our bookshelf is still okay to use!! We knew it was a measuring device of some sort, but learnt a bit more of the details!

mmmmm, will need to give it a bit of thought. watch this space!

That was the year my older sister was born - she is the clever and beautiful one.

Okay, back to the question. Something to do with South West Africa and the war there, where all our conscript guys were sent to the "border". (sorry, had to remove the question mark and stuff, as I'm not the one supposed to be asking the questions!!)

Edited by GEO936

This is a PUZZLE question with a difficulty of 4* and terrain 1* :rolleyes:

On 20 April 1968 something happened? Hint : The names Windhoek and Pretoria feature.

I'm guessing it was the SAA plane crash in Windhoek. The Pretoria connection... perhaps the plane was named Pretoria?

Spot on GR!! Will have to reassess the difficulty rating next time! A brand new 6 week old Boeing 707-344C named "Pretoria" crashed on take-off from Windhoek airport . I think 122 souls were lost with 5 survivors.

mmmm... the random choice (closed eye's and finger drop) out of the pub quizz book is posing a challenge. B) The answer is, worms!

Allow me to rather pose a question a little more mainstream: :rolleyes:

What name was given to the dead man, deliberately dropped into the sea to be found by German agents, who carried false papers to deceive the Axis powers about Allied intentions to attack Europe?

Great - now this is some real trivia. I recall the story - aroudn the invasion of The Blakans or Italy and a deception involved (would make a great movie I reckon).

I cant remember the guys name at all. Let me guess.

Lt Murray Walker?

A movie was made B)

Incorrect

What was the movie (?) or is that the next question?

Bob Waters? :)

Bob Waters? :)

B)

The movie was called "the man who never was" but his name escapes me! darn!

1/2 point for the movie, book was the same name too. Interestingly the author, who was involved in the mission, wrote the book over a weekend. This was in response to an unrelated fictional story which was published with a similar storyline. This triggered word of the true war story and it was decided to document and publish the story to squash rumours.

I must say I have not heard of the movie - any idea how old it was (I will keep a look out on the DVD sales).

Give us a clue

Ok, for some fun on this rather wet and miserable day... classic games weather B)

Clues:

His rank insignia would be a crown

Both his first name and surname can be related to birds. His first, the formal version of an anatomical part of a bird. His last, a predominantly migratory bird quite common worldwide, except Antarctica.