South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Yep, you snooze you lose... play on..

Was curious to the answer, so did some research, it seems it's the state bird of seven US States :)

Ouch!! GR, you are correct. Only the US would have 7 states sharing the same bird!! That is crazy. :mad: Anyway, as that was not "really" a full blown question I will ask a more legit question. B)

Which state has the Roadrunner [beep-Beep] as their State Bird?

Thanks cincol for keeping this going. I hadn't read the original post and did wonder why there hadn't been any new activity here. Oops. I just bumped into this thread late one night and was quite surprised to see the Church Key question. I actually googled it then to make sure there wasn't some other possible meaning for South African forum participants. With twist off caps so popular now, I can't remember the last time I have heard someone use that reference.

Yes it does seem strange that seven US States have adopted the Cardinal as their state bird. It is a very colorful (male) territorial and aggressive species. What does that say about us?

I knew the US region that would have picked the Roadrunner, but needed help to identify the exact State (which disqualifies me from answering). I did chuckle when I read your [beep-Beep] reference. You have viewed a certain televised cartoon.

Now previewing GlobalRat's new post I see that Wile E. Coyote is no stranger to South Africa. Those are excellent guesses and one of them is correct.

I have to keep an eye on this thread. If a question goes unanswered for an extended period of time, I have now researched a bird themed South Africa question.

Didn't quite expect to be correct, but here goes:

The streets of Pretoria are currently lined with blooming blue Jacaranda trees which Pretoria is proud of, but the trees are also regarded as alien invasive plants.

Name the origin of these trees?

On that day there is a 1 in 300 chance that earth will be hit by a 400m asteroid.

Close enough. On 31 April 2029, asteroid Apophis will come to within 5 Earth radii of us - and hence the asteroid will be clearly visible to the naked eye, zooming across the sky. It will be the brightest asteroid anyone in recorded history would have seen. There's no risk of the asteroid hitting us on that date, but because the asteroid's path will be deflected by the Earth's gravity, there is a possibility that it will hit us on another close approach around 2036. At some point during the study, the chance rose to something like 1 in 48 (!!!), but with the refined orbital calculations, that has no slipped down to 1 in several thousand (which is still a higher probability than being killed in a plane accident).

South Africa is IDEALLY placed to witness the close approach of the asteroid on 13 April 2029, as the asteroid will approach from the south and will pass us in the early evening South African time. It'll appear as a bright star moving across the sky, brighter and faster than most satellites. I personally am looking forward to the event. (;

Danie, all yours!

Oh my! I'm sure I've heard something about that pan in the distant past, but I cannot remember the details. We haven't been to the Northern Cape in absolute ages, years actually, which is a pity as we really enjoy it there. But that doesn't help with an answer and neither does my knowledge of Afrikaans. I'm quite useless actually....I should've paid more attention when I was in school.

Most people know what Verneukpan in the Northern Cape is famous for. My question is about something else: Where did it get its name from?

I seem to recall reading it had something to do with the illusion of a lake due to mirages, verneuk being deceived.

Quite right - apparently people see water and trees there which are not real. Your turn!

I seem to recall Pietermaritzburg been called the city of flowers someplace. That came to mind when I saw the question but not sure???

Bloemfontein seemed like an obvious choice too and I was quite surprised that that wasn't the right answer.... mmm

I will stick with PMB for now.

I seem to recall Pietermaritzburg been called the city of flowers someplace. That came to mind when I saw the question but not sure???

Bloemfontein seemed like an obvious choice too and I was quite surprised that that wasn't the right answer.... mmm

I will stick with PMB for now.

Your recollection is spot on. Wazat, you are up

OK I am tired and give in. Pooks you were nearly there. Just add 3 KM it is Paarl and the street is 12km long. I think DB was aware of this and trying to give it to you.... haa haa.

Pooks the floor is yours....

I had 9 miles in my head somewhere - maybe I should have gone with that. I'll have to follow up to see where main street officially starts and ends...

Here goes:

Who was known as the 'The Wizard of Menlo Park' and said, 'Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.'?

Edited by the pooks

Who was known as the 'The Wizard of Menlo Park' and said, 'Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.'?

Thomas Edison methinks?

I always hear Pretoria's main street, Church Street quoted as the longest urban street in South Africa and one of the longest straight streets in the world, but shall bow to Wazat's knowledge :D:D