South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Hooray!

Where did the peace symbol derive from?

I don't mean the 2 finger peace sign, but the one in the circle.

I believe it was created in the 50's by ...... I don't want to answer it though :laughing:

I've always found it quite interesting that the peace symbol is the same symbol that was used by German 3rd Panzer Division during World War II..... go figure :)

Hooray!

I believe it was created in the 50's by ...... I don't want to answer it though :grin:

I've always found it quite interesting that the peace symbol is the same symbol that was used by German 3rd Panzer Division during World War II..... go figure :)

Err, why don't you want to answer it?

But I fear I am not looking for who created it - I don't even know that myself :laughing:

I am looking for the origins of the shape of the symbol. What do the lines represent?

Hooray!

Well quite a long story actually but there was this chap working for Mercedes Benz in the late 40's called Carl Stükner who had a massive fallout with his foreman. Carl was on the production line for the front badge on the Mercedes and after 10 years of doing the same tedious job, he had enough and went and asked for a better position. His foreman would have nothing of this so Carl decided to add an extra piece to the badge, just to show his foreman how much he was to be valued at what he did. The foreman would have nothing of this behavior and went and fired the man. But Carl was then offered a position at VW and with his badge design skills he became responsible for the design and development division for the VW badge. Today Carl is an aging man in his 90's, living in a villa in the Black Forrest. He has untold wealth and when asked about his former foreman, he said that he made peace with him soon afterward and as a token of such he had framed the famous badge and sent it to the foreman as a gift. It is later beleived the foreman went on to become a hippy in the 60's and had this badge displayed in an old VW Beetle. Some how it caught on and that is where the Peace sign came to light.

Or wasn't it some pagan symbol for a crow's foot?

quite right it was the CND symbol, but not the answer I need. nothing to do with missiles falling over. And yes, it is all about Banning the bomb! But why should that symbol have anything to do with banning a bomb?

I'll give you a clue. it has something to do with codes, eg morse code - (but not morse code obviously!)

Hooray!

I believe it was created in the 50's by ...... I don't want to answer it though :D

I've always found it quite interesting that the peace symbol is the same symbol that was used by German 3rd Panzer Division during World War II..... go figure :lol:

Err, why don't you want to answer it?

But I fear I am not looking for who created it - I don't even know that myself :(

I am looking for the origins of the shape of the symbol. What do the lines represent?

Coz if I'm right I'd need to think up a question..... :)

Alright then, it's supposedly designed from the semaphore symbols for ND. ND = Nuclear Disarmament

Edited by GlobalRat

bad news GR, you have to think up a question :(

Right you are :D

Semaphore is an alphabet signalling system based on the waving of a pair of hand-held flags in a particular pattern.

N is the flags held at 45 degrees down on either side of the body

D is 1 flag held up and 1 flag held down.

Put them together in a circle and you get the peace symbol, spelling out Nuclear Disarmament!

I learned that from Fair Lady magazine a few years back :lol:

Saw the movie on Monday night and we were blown away by it. The main Prawn okes' name was Christopher.

Must add that this is not the type of movie we generally watch, but despite that, we thought it was awesome. ( we prefer movies in the genre of "Rabbit Proof Fence and 'The Reader'.)

But really enjoyed this one - 'is that teargas?' - 'no, tins of cats food'!!!!

Edited by cownchicken
My vote is that Team Ginger is the most likely person to get this question right!

Ginger, where are you?

Hey guys - yes, did know the answer - saw the question onFriday just before leaving work, but I don't get much time for Intenet browsing over the weekends these days - so then I wouldn't have been able to check check you guys' answers regularly...

I do have a question though..... how do you beat a big guy with a hammer so that you can feel better, without killing him?

:laughing:

Sorry - just frustration - I feel better now. :laughing:

hey come on, I am sure that you can drop them off at your parents!

My vote is that Team Ginger is the most likely person to get this question right!

Ginger, where are you?

No such luck Discombob......the kids are with us always! Wish we still had my Mom-in-Law around, and my Mom stays too far away! :laughing: