South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

A jiffy is an actual unit of time, and it is very short moment of time.

Well done!! Do you know the actual 'unit of time'? IOW Define 'short moment'.

Not sure the actual unit of time sorry. But it is something like a 1,000,000 of a second.

My question has to do with flags.

Most flags in the word revolve around 3 colours.

Which flag was the first flag in the world to use tri (three) bands.

I know the tulip is found extensively just across the "dam" from where I am in what was known as Persia [or the Ottoman Empire] - today's Iran/Kazakstan/Turkey/Northern Iraq/Western Pakistan. Not sure if it actually originated from there, but worth a guess.

I was paging though a coffee table book of Iran here the other day with magnificent photos of extensive fields of tulips of many different colours. If it was not for mountains in the background I would have thought the photos were taken in Holland.

Edited by cincol

Thanks iNokia - you could have run with it.

Nokia is better known for communications devices and technology nowadays. However, the company has been around since it was founded in Finland in 1865. What did it start out manufacturing?

Edited by cincol

paper? or was it lumber/wood sawmill?

Certainly on the right track and in the right direction but not the correct co-ords yet. :P

I recall reading something about it quite recently - I'm going to kick myself when I hear the answer.

I think "the pooks" are close enough on this one. The correct co-orda are halfway between the 2 waypoints mentioned - Nokia started off as a PULP milling company. They processed the milled lumber before the papermaking process.

Go for it!

paper? or was it lumber/wood sawmill?

Certainly on the right track and in the right direction but not the correct co-ords yet. :anibad:

I recall reading something about it quite recently - I'm going to kick myself when I hear the answer.

I think "the pooks" are close enough on this one. The correct co-orda are halfway between the 2 waypoints mentioned - Nokia started off as a PULP milling company. They processed the milled lumber before the papermaking process.

Go for it!

Bummer - I knew this one. Comes from not being online over the w/e.

Yep - the cellphones came as they needed to have good comms between their forestry workers out in the field. The two way radios that were available were not effective, so they started develop0ing their own. These then developed into cellphones as we know them today.

And voila - the rest is hisotry. I believe they still do own shares in the original pulp mills - but the current pulp market is so depressed, I'd think they'd be out of them in the near future.