South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

In order to keep the momentum of this thread going, I asked my sister in law who helped me back in post #1343 to set a question. She came up with two suggestions, both looked pretty obscure and out of the scope of this quiz to me, but then again I thought I should not underestimate the skills of this forum. So i decided to post both questions, the first person to get one of them right wins.

1. This gentleman had no reason to fight in WW1 – but his persistence paid off and he was immortalized in a poem.

2. She was the very first woman to use sex as a weapon and made a whole nation lay down their weapons

Qu.2 : Was it Helen of Troy???

Qu.1 : Still thinking about that one!

Not Helen, but it is in the right direction. Never heard of the lady before this evening though.

Oh wow....can't believe that I eventually got somewhere "in the right direction"!! :P

Would it be possible to ask for a clue? Like does she have a typical or unusual greek name? No chance of giving a letter in her name hey? Pretty please? :lol:

In order to keep the momentum of this thread going, I asked my sister in law who helped me back in post #1343 to set a question. She came up with two suggestions, both looked pretty obscure and out of the scope of this quiz to me, but then again I thought I should not underestimate the skills of this forum. So i decided to post both questions, the first person to get one of them right wins.

1. This gentleman had no reason to fight in WW1 – but his persistence paid off and he was immortalized in a poem.

2. She was the very first woman to use sex as a weapon and made a whole nation lay down their weapons

I suspect that these questions are up Discombob's alley... but some pointers in the meantime

1. Irish and he happened to be a good cricketer as well. The name of the poet or any of the poems will also do as an answer.

2. Written by Aristophanes in 411BC

OK - Wildred Owen; Rupert Brooke and Francis Ledwidge are the other WW1 poets I know apart from Sasson.

Yeats was Irish - but I dont think he fought in WW1?

OK - I don't want to hold up this quiz too long. WB Yeats was the poet (is that the same person you are referring to?) - he did not fight in WW1 himself, but wrote poems about William Gregory, who did.

Your turn Carbon Hunter!

Some extracts from Wikipedia follow:

William Robert Gregory was an Irish cricketer and artist.

He was good enough at cricket to play once for the Ireland cricket team, taking 8/80 with his leg spin bowling in a first-class match against Scotland in 1912. He didn't score a run. His bowling performance in that match remains the tenth best in all matches for Ireland and the fourth best in first-class cricket for Ireland. His bowling average of 10.22 is the second best for Ireland in first-class cricket.

He was killed in Italy at the age of 37 when an Italian pilot mistakenly shot him down.

Robert's death had a lasting effect on W. B. Yeats, and he became the subject of four poems by him; In Memory of Major Robert Gregory, An Irish Airman Foresees His Death, Shepherd and Goatherd, and Reprisals.

Lysistrata (Attic Greek ="Army-disbander") is one of the few surviving plays written by the master of Old Comedy, Aristophanes. Originally performed in classical Athens in 411 BC, it is a comic account of one woman's extraordinary mission to end The Peloponnesian War. Lysistrata convinces the women of Greece to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands as a means of forcing the men to negotiate a peace, a strategy however that inflames the battle between the sexes. The play is notable for its exposé of sexual relations in a male-dominated society and for its use of both double entendre and explicit obscenities.

eh why would they be up my Ally. At pub quizzes whenever the history round comes up, I go to sleep!!!

what about Ogden Nash for no.1 ?

I got the impression you are a bit of a literary man. Not Ogden Nash (who's he?)

no, not a literay man either!

Ah, Wilfed Owen was the guy I was thinking of!Ogden Nash was more of a nonsense poet

eg.

Free from flashiness, free from trashiness

Is the essence of ogdenashiness.

Rich, original, rash and rational

Stands the monument ogdenational!

OK - I was referring to Yeats (William Butler) - but in all honesty that was not my part of my answer :(

Good questiosn - actually a Wilfred Owen poem is the basis for my "Dulce et Decorum Est" cache in the Linden Police Station in Joburg at the Police Officers memorial.

OK - here goes - What is the commonality between Umniati and Hunyani?

Era of the bush war and Selous Scouts, names of aroured vehicles, or tanks?

Bush war - yes - tanks no - but i'll give it to you.

It was the names of the 2 Vickers Viscounts of the Rhodesian Airlines that were shot down near Kariba. Many saw this as the final straw that broke the morale and it was widely criticised, but not by any of the major official channels as a "barbaric act of terrorism" and lead to the famous "Deafening Silence" sermon in Salisbury that eventually earned a Gold Record for the priest who delivered the sermon.

jors - you're it.

Some wild guesses gets you there - sometimes - as might be the case for the next Q ;)

No doubt, we've all seen the survey (trig) beacons on top of mountains, buildings and even in backyards of urban houses.

Mostly these trigs have a white pillar 1,2m high and a black vane 1,2m higher, but other objects like some church- and building towers are also included.

These trigs have been surveyed very accurately, but because of advancing technology, only a chosen number of them are still being maintained by the government.

Q: How many of these trig beacons do we have in South Africa?