South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Our book, "South Africa's Yesterdays' tells us that the final was in Pretoria on 12/7/80 and that the Lions won 17 - 13. The Springboks did win the seies though. Who the coach was we will have to think about.

Seeing as the rugby fanatic is at our daughters house watching rugby on the big screen TV, we'll work on who it possibly could be later.

I remember watching this on TV - Jerry ????? (Makoena???) from Cape Twon - Gugulethu I think.

I only ran 1 comrades - but when that final gun went - it was one of the most emotional moments in my life - knowing that there were guys that I had spent hours out on the road with and who had been through so much more pain than me - and they did not make the cut (we only had 11 hours when I ran).

Yep, he runs for Guguletu, his first name is Jerry, but you are a bit off with his surname, it is Mboweni. But as you are quite close and nobody else has given a guess in 3 days and weren't looking likely to, you're it.

Thought more people would know the answer, seeing he was on the front of all the newspapers on the Monday morning after Comrades.

Are you and I the only people that watched a bit of Comrades or the news that Sunday evening?

I see that the starting time seems to be half an hour earlier since the years my 'better half' ran it.

I remember a 6 am start and a 5pm finish. When did it change?

Yep, he runs for Guguletu, his first name is Jerry, but you are a bit off with his surname, it is Mboweni. But as you are quite close and nobody else has given a guess in 3 days and weren't looking likely to, you're it.

Thought more people would know the answer, seeing he was on the front of all the newspapers on the Monday morning after Comrades.

Are you and I the only people that watched a bit of Comrades or the news that Sunday evening?

I see that the starting time seems to be half an hour earlier since the years my 'better half' ran it.

I remember a 6 am start and a 5pm finish. When did it change?

I think the first time it changed was for the 2000 Comrades when they upped the number of entrants, offered a special Wally Hayward medal (i.e. a medal for all who finished before Wally Haywards winning time) and made a 12 hour cut off.

Tretchikov (Tretchikoff)

Yep - you're it:

He worked in oil, watercolour, ink, charcoal and pencil but is best known for his reproduction prints which sold worldwide in huge numbers. Tretchikoff worked as a scene painter at the city's Russian opera house, and studied at the Manchurian College until the age of 16. This explains why much of his later work is designed to be seen from a distance with an inherent theatricality

When the Second World War spread to the Pacific in 1940, Tretchikoff became a propaganda artist working for the British Ministry of Information. In February 1942, Tretchikoff was on board a ship evacuating ministry personnel to South Africa. The ship was bombed by the Japanese, and the 42 survivors rowed first to Sumatra, which they found was already occupied by the Japanese Army. They then rowed to Java, which took 19 days, only to find that it too was occupied. Tretchikoff spent the rest of the war in a Japanese prison camp (where he spent three months in solitary confinement for protesting that as a Russian citizen he ought not to be imprisoned), and then on parole in Batavia, (now Jakarta), where he worked with a Javanese dance troupe. Here he met Leonora Schmidt-Salomonson (Lenka) who became his lover and one of his most famous models. In 1946 he was reunited with his wife and their daughter Mimi in South Africa (they had been successfully evacuated on an earlier boat). His work appeared on the original set of Alfie, with a drawn moustache in one episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus and an episode of Doctor Who.

He suffered a stroke in 2002 that left him unable to paint, and died on 26 August 2006 in Cape Town, his home since 1946. He was survived by his wife Natalie (née Telpregoff), his daughter Mimi (b. 1938), four granddaughters and five great-grandchildren. Natalie Tretchikoff died on July 18, 2007.

The South African National Gallery never acquired an original Tretchikoff because they did not "really regard Tretchikoff as a South African artist". Tretchikoff once said that the only difference between himself and Vincent Van Gogh was that Van Gogh had starved whereas he had become rich.

TV personality Uri Geller is a great admirer of Tretchikoff, in spite of agreeing with critics that his is anything but great art. He wrote, "You put a brick in the Tate today and it's art.

Completely off topic, but I cannot think of a question right now, so a little maths word sum that has stuck in my head since national service days comes to mind. I hope I have the wording right. I'm going to have to admit that I did not get the answer without a little help (so I sound smarter than what I am!)

Punch and Judy have a combined age of 91 years. Punch is now twice as old as Judy was when Punch was as old as Judy is now. How old are Punch and Judy?

Ok heres a kind of nautically themed one. I think it will be quite tough so you'll have to cast your minds back 300 years or so.

Who was Alexander Selkirk and what is he famous for?

Here is another literary clue

I am monarch of all I survey,

My right there is none to dispute;

From the centre all round to the sea,

I am lord of the fowl and the brute.

Good Luck

Wow good going guys - I maybe gave too many clues as I thought this was going to be a tricky one.

Tomtwogates guessed Robinson Crusoe (he was NOT Robinson Crusoe - it is surmised that he inspired Defoes's story)

Cincol answered the guy who inspired Robinson Cruesoe (which is correct) and answered the part about what he was famous for (surviving alone for 4 years on a pacific island)

Tom answered first but Cincols answer was more complete.

Now who gets to go!!!!!

I want to be fair - what say the others - who is it?

Trev

Wow good going guys - I maybe gave too many clues as I thought this was going to be a tricky one.

Tomtwogates guessed Robinson Crusoe (he was NOT Robinson Crusoe - it is surmised that he inspired Defoes's story)

Cincol answered the guy who inspired Robinson Cruesoe (which is correct) and answered the part about what he was famous for (surviving alone for 4 years on a pacific island)

Tom answered first but Cincols answer was more complete.

Now who gets to go!!!!!

I want to be fair - what say the others - who is it?

Trev

Tom is on holiday and has more time to "research" a new question. Give it to him Trev, the Cape needs all the support they can get - especially with the Currie Cup looming. We are coming to get you!!!! :laughing:

Tom is on holiday and has more time to "research" a new question. Give it to him Trev, the Cape needs all the support they can get - especially with the Currie Cup looming. We are coming to get you!!!! :laughing:

Alright - what a Gentleman - looking forward to the challenge on the rugby field. Hey we almost beat the Lions!

OK Tom - you are it!!!

Trev

:D Okay here goes - as I am presently in Holland I thought a Dutch question might be interesting, but the intereresting part about this Dutch question is that it is not really know here in Holland, but rather a legend that was created by an American in 1865 - that's the build up and now the question

What is the name of the little Dutch boy who put his finger in the dyke and saved Holland? :anicute:

ps thanks cincol - I felt you had the more complete answer!

Edited by tomtwogates