South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

oohh, if memory serves me corectly, there is a dangerous hidden rock in false bay, and when lined up it allows sailers to figure out where the rock is and avoid it.

I also recall they are painted black on one side to allow sailors to see them easier against the sun

Well done Dbob - exactly that The Dias Cross (the higher of the two) is painted black on one side so that it can be seen clearly on the horizon from False Bay. When a skipper lines up these two crosses in conjunction with a beacon in Simon’s town it warns them of the position of the dangerous Whittle Rock in False Bay. A large pinnacle that reaches to within 3m of the surface.

An interesting aside is that a mate of mine was out fishing in False Bay and looking for Whittle Rock and remembered the story, but did not know the other points in Simonstown and just travelled along the line of the beacons until his depth sounding gear told him he was on top of it.

B) over to you Dbob :rolleyes:

woo hoo!

I have just returned from Scotland where I learned some interesting stuff, so lets have a scottish question for a change.

We have all seen the movie Braveheart, and probably think we know who Braveheart is, but do we?

who was Braveheart and how did he get that Nickname?

The nickname probably came from hollywood. As far as I can recall the chap that wrote the story was also a Wallace, but no relation. Recall some blurb at the William Wallace memorial, but it was too long ago. There was quite some controversy around a statue erected there which I think has been removed since my visit.

Edited by GlobalRat

The nickname probably came from hollywood. As far as I can recall the chap that wrote the story was also a Wallace, but no relation. Recall some blurb at the William Wallace memorial, but it was too long ago. There was quite some controversy around a statue erected there which I think has been removed since my visit.

The nickname was I think given to Robert the Bruce. Hollywood used it for William Wallace. His heart I seemed to remember was to be carried through Europe.

Edited by DAN404

The nickname was I think given to Robert the Bruce. Hollywood used it for William Wallace. His heart I seemed to remember was to be carried through Europe.

Nou hoe weet n boertjie dit?????? B):rolleyes:

Nou hoe weet n boertjie dit?????? B):rolleyes:

Die boertjie se oer-oupa was in bevel van Stirling Castle, net langs die slag van Stirling Bridge in ongeveer 1306. Hy was een van William Wallace se bondgenote. Hy is gevang en na die Tower gestuur. Hy was Sir William Oliphant en is begrawe in Abergeldie, net suid van Perth. Ek sou graag Julie Skotland toe wou gaan want dan is die Oliphant Clan saamtrek by Abergeldie! Tekort aan geld egter!

Nou hoe weet n boertjie dit?????? <_<:rolleyes:

Die boertjie se oer-oupa was in bevel van Stirling Castle, net langs die slag van Stirling Bridge in ongeveer 1306. Hy was een van William Wallace se bondgenote. Hy is gevang en na die Tower gestuur. Hy was Sir William Oliphant en is begrawe in Abergeldie, net suid van Perth. Ek sou graag Julie Skotland toe wou gaan want dan is die Oliphant Clan saamtrek by Abergeldie! Tekort aan geld egter!

interesaant! B)

Nice one Dan. You're it!

Indeed after William Walllaces death, Robert the bruce went on to defeat the English and ruled Scotland for 17 (or was it 27) years. He asked after his death that his heart be removed and carried on the battlefields (possibly the crusades) to inspire his troops.

The Scottish Football Anthem, Flower of Scotland is about the defeat of the English by Robert the Bruce, and robert is thus the Flower of Scotland too! Interestingly, Scotland has no official Nathional Anthem

Our tour guide went into such gruesome detail on Wallaces execution that I almost fainted on the bus! In fact, poor Wallace never could shout out that final FREEDOM shown in the movie, as he had by then had his tongue cut out and his privates shoved down his throat.

Now in the movie, king Edward II is on his death bed dying while Wallace is being executed, but that was more Hollywood license, as Edward sadly lived another 2 years after.

Stuur vir my 'n email as jy Lonon toegaan, en ons kan miskien 'n paar caches soek

was it perhaps Sannah's Post

Quite correct! It is Sannaspos. There are two caches there. The one at the museum has been muggled and I will try and replace it soon. The station building still shows the bullet holes. In die cemetary for the English soldiers one W. Churchill is buried. Definitely not the one who swam the mighty Apies.

Tomtwogates you're it.

:) he he - I thought you wanted to know where MUNTO Hill was at first!! :) I wonder where that might be? Don't be surprised if we don't see a few streets / hospitals / hills. etc bearing that name soon. :D

Minto Hill is the highest point on Robben Island if I remember correctly?

Minto Hill is the highest point on Robben Island if I remember correctly?

:) Well done cincol and you're not even in the country if memory serves me! :)

Robben Island is a tiny island which lies 9 km to the North of the City of Cape Town. It was the site of South Africa's original light beacon; pitch rings burning on top of a pole on what they called Fire Hill, which was established in 1657 by none other than Jan van Riebeeck.

The present light house was built on Fire Hill now known as Minto Hill in 1865 it is an 18 metre circular masonry tower painted white it was electrified in 1938 and is visible for 24 sea miles!

Well it certainly ain't cricket or rugby!! :D Isn't it that funny thing that looks like a long, slap squash racquet that has rope for strings and is played on a horse? :unsure: They throw a piece of dung to each other and catch it with this racquet thingie. Polocrosse or motocross for horses - or something like that? The Irish also have a similar sport I think that they play without the horses. Some crazy sports around in this world!!

Well it certainly ain't cricket or rugby!! :P Isn't it that funny thing that looks like a long, slap squash racquet that has rope for strings and is played on a horse? :huh: They throw a piece of dung to each other and catch it with this racquet thingie. Polocrosse or motocross for horses - or something like that? The Irish also have a similar sport I think that they play without the horses. Some crazy sports around in this world!!

Getting warmer... :(

Lacrosse

Actualy went to a lacrosse game while working up in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada last year. Interesting game.

Tag, you're it!

Lacrosse is a game played with a small rubber ball and a long-handled racquet type thing with a shallow net at the end. The players pass the ball between each other and try to hurl it into the opponents' goal.

I saw a game of lacrosse when I visited Cambridge earlier this year. Certainly a strange game, and I was very surprised when I found out it was THE national sport of Canada until 1994, when ice hockey was added. Most of the Canadians I asked about it didn't even know that lacrosse was their national sport!

Lacrosse

Actualy went to a lacrosse game while working up in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada last year. Interesting game.

Tag, you're it!

Lacrosse is a game played with a small rubber ball and a long-handled racquet type thing with a shallow net at the end. The players pass the ball between each other and try to hurl it into the opponents' goal.

I saw a game of lacrosse when I visited Cambridge earlier this year. Certainly a strange game, and I was very surprised when I found out it was THE national sport of Canada until 1994, when ice hockey was added. Most of the Canadians I asked about it didn't even know that lacrosse was their national sport!

Lacrosse is the official summer sport of Canada.

As I work in the oill industry lets ask something about oil!

What date is regarded as the first time an oil well was drilled in moderne times? Aslo where was this well drilled?

Edited by geocacher_coza

Not sure if this is the first well in HISTORY but it certainly looks as though it is the 1st in the US by the look of things. One of the magazines I have in my office has this article about the "Oil & Gas Museum" and it claims a well in West Virginia, USA as being the first. This was in the 1820's - no specific date or location is actually mentioned in the article.

A few hints. It was not in the USA.

347 A.D. Oil wells are drilled in China up to 800 feet deep using bits attached to bamboo poles.

1264 Mining of seep oil in medieval Persia witnessed by Marco Polo on his travels through Baku.

1500s Seep oil collected in the Carpathian Mountains of Poland is used to light street lamps.

1594 Oil wells are hand dug at Baku, Persia up to 35 meters (115 feet) deep.

1735 Oil sands are mined and the oil extracted at Pechelbronn field in Alsace, France.

1815 Oil is produced in United States as an undesirable by-product from brine wells in Pennsylvania.

So it is after all the above!

Carbon hunter is close enough!

It was actualy in 1848 that the first modern oil well was drilled, on the Aspheron Peninsula north-east of Baku, by Russian engineer F.N. Semyenov.

I have actual work on the Aspheron field a few years ago.

Grant, you will find that BAKU is a wonderfull place with its own charm. The people is great!

Carbon hunter is close enough!

It was actualy in 1848 that the first modern oil well was drilled, on the Aspheron Peninsula north-east of Baku, by Russian engineer F.N. Semyenov.

I have actual work on the Aspheron field a few years ago.

Grant, you will find that BAKU is a wonderfull place with its own charm. The people is great!

Thanks - I'm looking forward to it - and guess what the first Earthcache in Baku will be :laughing:

OK - where was the first X ray station located in Southern Africa?

Two places come to mind and they both have to do with diamonds. Kimberley and some place in the Namib Desert near Luderitz that is now a ghost town - not sure of the name though.

Kimberley had the first street lights and the first elevator [lift]. I have actually ridden in it. It was in the old John Orr's building and went from the ground to 1st floor if I remember correctly! So, that being said I will place my money on the ghost town in Namibia. Your question refers to Southern Africa rather than South Africa so that will weigh my bet in the direction of Namibia rather.

Let's get back to sport again. Australia have now left the shores of South Africa and are involved in a quick ODI Series in the UAE - Dubai and AbuDhabi to be exact. Yesterday Pakistan convincingly beat Australia at the Dubai Sports Complex. Apart from this being Pakistan's 2nd win in 7 years against Australia in 12 ODI's, what was unique or special about the match?

what was unique or special about the match?

ah come on, any country beating Autralia is Special :D

otherwise, maybe it was the first ever international game played on Astroturf , or some other form of man made pitch/surface?

Or maybe it was the first ever indoor international game of cricket?

ah come on, any country beating Autralia is Special :lol:

otherwise, maybe it was the first ever international game played on Astroturf , or some other form of man made pitch/surface?

Or maybe it was the first ever indoor international game of cricket?

DB - you are VERY close to the correct answer but not quite there! Yes, I am being a bit pedantic on this one. :ph34r::D

It was the first game played at the Dubai sports complex? I figured I'd take a guess before I head over to cricinfo for my daily shot in the arm. (;

besem has the floor :D - the first ODI ever played at the 52nd [i think that is correct] official ODI venue under the auspices of teh ICC.