South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

It will be interesting to have some more information on this. I know it is grown around that area, but what is the extent of the area that it grows natuarally?

This question is slightly misleading. .............................. The tea is also grown towards the left of that road, though. Apologies if it sounds as if I'm nitpicking - just adding to the discussion.

Have a look at

http://www.rooibos.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos [especially under the "History" section]

http://www.rooibosltd.co.za/index.html [browse through the many pages under "background" as well as reading the "Introdiction"]

http://sarooibos.co.za/content/view/26/74/

I am sure there are many more references, but generally I am happy with 2 independent references when I need verification of facts.

A gnonom is the pointer thing on a sundial.

The gnomon is the part of a sundial that casts the shadow. Gnomon (γνώμων) is an ancient Greek word meaning "indicator", "one who discerns," or "that which reveals."

Yep, CnC it is! (Lucky for you, this aint no spelling bee :) )

Nope... That would seem logical in a way but nope...

Had posted wrong too. I have edited it. The place is no longer open due to a roof that collapsed and killed 28 people and injured many others.

Aha... recall that story... Soviet Union/Russia wasn't it?

Right you are.... Moscow subtropical indoor theme park.

Here we go - asked by Wazat on the day after Christmas

I think Humansdorp had one, but I was under the impression that it had been destroyed :blink: so not sure.

Perhaps you are right GR. The town of Humansdorp is laid out like a Union Jack with "spokes" leading to the centre. Maybe there was a fountain in the town square at some stage but cannot remember seeing it. :huh: OTOH it has been a long time since I was last there so I could be mistaken. :blink::blink:

What do the South African and Australian merino sheep industry and the Orange River have in common?

Tough one and in the spirit of the game I must admit I googled this one so I am providing my answer in ROT13 to avoid spoiling for anyone who can actually answer that question. I think I read that googling is not allowed although how some of these questions have been answered without google is beyond me - although if you know the answer to something it seems easy and if you do not it seems impossible.

If no one can admit to getting this correct without google I'll take the honours else I will stand down to your really excellent trivia and general knowledge.

Pbybary Eboreg Wnpbo Tbeqba

Anzrq gur Benatr Evire naq erprvirq gjb zrevabf sebz gur Xvat bs Fcnva jvgu juvpu fgnegrq FNf oerrqvat fgbpx - uvf furrc jrer rkcbegrq gb Nhfgenyvn naq fgnegrq Nhfgenyvnf oerrqvat fgbpx nsgre uvf qrngu va friragrra avargl-svir

Decode the answer using this link or the standard code key given on any cache page for those who want to do it the long way!

http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/othutil/webapps/rot13/

Edited by trevorh7000

The Dorper sheep.

The Dorper sheep is a cross between the merino and another breed (I froget which) , more hardy and suited to arid conditions and widespread in south afica and Australia. To differentiate the breed from the merino, they dunked the sheep head first into the Orange River (It was still called the Black river then). That is why the dorper sheep has a black head.

Now that I have had a shot at the answer I'll go and decrypt Trevor's reply. I must admit and agree these questions can be very specific and obscure, but then that's what makes them interesting.

Tough one and in the spirit of the game I must admit I googled this one so I am providing my answer in ROT13 to avoid spoiling for anyone who can actually answer that question. I think I read that googling is not allowed although how some of these questions have been answered without google is beyond me - although if you know the answer to something it seems easy and if you do not it seems impossible.

If no one can admit to getting this correct without google I'll take the honours else I will stand down to your really excellent trivia and general knowledge.

Pbybary Eboreg Wnpbo Tbeqba

Anzrq gur Benatr Evire naq erprvirq gjb zrevabf sebz gur Xvat bs Fcnva jvgu juvpu fgnegrq FNf oerrqvat fgbpx - uvf furrc jrer rkcbegrq gb Nhfgenyvn naq fgnegrq Nhfgenyvnf oerrqvat fgbpx nsgre uvf qrngu va friragrra avargl-svir

Decode the answer using this link or the standard code key given on any cache page for those who want to do it the long way!

http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/othutil/webapps/rot13/

Trevor, thanks for your honesty, however I'm going to consider this as a spoilt question.

It's true what you say, when you know the answer it seems easy, but will agree with pooks that this is what makes it interesting. Read any trivia quizz in a newspaper or attend any pub quiz, some you know, some you don't, some are easy, and some seem impossible... and some are just nasty :D

After a few guesses it becomes clear that perhaps a question is more difficult than one anticipates and a hint will be the order of the day. I do not think we should get into the habit of googling and offering it as an answer whether it be declared or undeclared. Of course undeclared, we'll never know, but this is all based on an honour system. B)

Gordon was an extensive traveller in South Africa, and there's a hill outside Aberdeen (Gordon's Hill) named after him. His travel diaries of South Africa were lost for almost 200 years when they were discovered in Staffordshire. They can now be seen in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. Out of interest, it was Prince William V of Orange (Dutch and after whom the Orange River was named by Gordon) who gave the sheep to Gordon and not the King of Spain. The Prince did in turn receive them from the King of Spain as a gift. It was actually illegal to export Merino sheep from Spain :)

GC1FXHP - Aberdeen provides a link which has some history of the area including Gordon's Hill... another cache opportunity :unsure:

OK, New Question, and perhaps a good spot for a cache :lol:

What is the highest road pass in South Africa that can be reached by ALL vehicles?

Edit: forgot to add cache link

Edited by GlobalRat