South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

I'll go with June. I came down to Cape Town from Walvis Bay in August 1978 and I'm sure there were ads on TV by then. (June also ties in with 2 years of SA TV)

Have also just recalled that my mom worked for the advertising agency that had the I&J account and no doubt there was great excitement that they had the first TV commercial - possibly that is why my better half remembers hamburger patties!

Picking brains yesterday at the folks and it might just be the Big T ad... round the beginning of 1978, January, was like a new year and a new campaign. Just going over old memories and I recall watching TV in Rhodesia back in 1974 and asking my uncle to please put that program back on again cause i liked it so much. Did i foresee Video recorders in my childhood? Wow.

I think the year was 1978. It was while we were living in Namibia and had no TV. What the ad was I have no idea but recall there was a lot of hype about it. Chicken seems to think it was for a hamburger patty - Big T or something like that! :laughing:

I was so sure I knew the answer, but not.... Took me a while to confirm I was wrong all along ;)

Big-T burger patties it was, 1978. Don't know the month myself ;)

Nuff time passed already (sowwy) ... CnC, you go!

Okay, we are back with those dreadful pub quiz lyrics questions (and believe me we have many! - one of our daughters donated a series of books to us called: Pub Quiz, Quiz Night and Quiz Notes that she acquired while living in the UK. Just like Discombob we, as a family thrive on pub quizzes)

Here we go:

Song and original artist:

I never thought you were a fool

But darling, look at you

You gotta stand up straight,

Almost right, the lyrics are from the song "Stuck in a moment you can't get out of" off the album "All that you can't leave behind" by U2. This was their second last last studio album that came out in 2000. The new album titled "No Line On The Horizon" is due out on the 2nd of March 2009.

As far as the South African connection goes... Well it might well be in part inspired by a track they worked on in South Africa while they were on tour here in March of 1998. I know that they did record a new track while here but what it was i am not sure... so who knows it might just have evolved from that song...

Just on a point of order - is this a South African artist? After all it is a South African Quiz. :shocked:

ahem ahem, if you read the topic description, it is "Interesting questions regarding live, the universe and everything."

As far as I know, the is a lot of universe outside of South Africa :yikes:

Or are we becoming like Americans and thinking there is nothing outside our own country :D

In fact I'be been wandering when someone is going to ask a non SA question, as I think I know the answer to maybe only one question so far asked!

Just on a point of order - is this a South African artist? After all it is a South African Quiz. ;)

ahem ahem, if you read the topic description, it is "Interesting questions regarding live, the universe and everything."

As far as I know, the is a lot of universe outside of South Africa :unsure:

Or are we becoming like Americans and thinking there is nothing outside our own country :)

In fact I'be been wandering when someone is going to ask a non SA question, as I think I know the answer to maybe only one question so far asked!

Thanks Discombob!! - We agree with the universe and everything. This a South African quiz, an off topic quiz - and as we understood it - it was a quiz aimed at South Africans on any topic and GPS Storm...... go for it!!

Thanks CnC!!

:unsure: Ok, Here goes...!

If you go to the following co-ordinates in Google Earth:

S23°28.398'

E31°26.374'

And similarly

S23°26.564'

E31°22.738'

You will see some strange features in the veld, visable from the sky in the Kruger National Park.

Our question is - What are they? :)

Edited by Gps Storm

;) Why blow me down!!

That's the fastest I've ever seen a correct reply come through on this forum!!!!

I really thought our question was going to be a little more difficult that it turned out.

You can find out more about the longish one at the link below:

KNP Dzombo Burn experiments

I don't know what the 9 square pattern is, but assume it is the same sort of thing, just on a larger scale.

:unsure: The floor is yours Carbon Hunter, I hope you give us something more challenging. :)

:lol: Thanks Carbon Hunter... Do you think we should let someone else play with or not?

Am I intruding?

What does the distress signal SOS stand for?

I could actually read morse code at some stage, something like 12wpm - not sure now.

Anyhow, as my understanding goes, SOS was only a way to verbally refer to the distress signal, because it almost sounds like SOS in morse code, but only without the space-pauses.

Thus, the letters S, O & S never had any meaning.

I believe it is Russell

Next time Dbob, I'll try an easier question, to which you might actually know the answer... :D

my middle name is Hamish

Rare name in this forum, goes with a Kilt, I presume?

Nonetheless, - iNokia, the floor is yours!

Edited by Jors

The answers to this question has got me doing a lot of investigating. I have found the following results.

Table Top Trove * SA visitors (71) * Foreigners (146) Ratio 1 : 2.05

Historical Series – Harbour entrance * SA visitors (83) * Foreigners (91) Ratio 1 : 1.09

TF16 180° Sea * SA visitors (74) * Foreigners (68) Ratio 1 : 0.92

Table Mountain - Cape Town * SA visitors (6) * Foreigners (27) Ratio 1 : 4.5

Although the answer I was looking for was Cango Caves at a ratio of 1:3 Discombob your it as you found one with a greater ratio.

What can we conclude from this?

1. As South Africans, we don't explore our own back yard?

2. There are just so many foreign geocachers?

3. Foreign cachers enjoy earth caches?

4. The Germans are trying to take over the world :D