South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Harwood/Hartwood or something like that for screenplay (?) on The Pianist. excellent film on the Holocost. Charlise was the first woman for the Oscar for her leading role in Monster, but this was about two years later. Then again... If you think of it where did Tolkien fit in... he wrote Lord of the rings.. so theoretically he could be classed in there. Tsotsi won one for best foreign film if I remember correctly but that was after Monster.

Lucky guess, first author that sprung to mind after your opening statement, as for the titles... never heard of them... they certainly aren't listed amongst his works in LOTR :laughing:

Here's a typical pub question....

Who was the first South African born person to win an Oscar?

Gotta take a guess on this one - our blonde bombshell from Benoni!! Charlize Theron?

Harwood/Hartwood or something like that for screenplay (?) on The Pianist. excellent film on the Holocost. Charlise was the first woman for the Oscar for her leading role in Monster, but this was about two years later. Then again... If you think of it where did Tolkien fit in... he wrote Lord of the rings.. so theoretically he could be classed in there. Tsotsi won one for best foreign film if I remember correctly but that was after Monster.

Correct, Ronald Harwood, born Ronald Horwitz, for which he won the 2003 Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Pianist. He was first nominated for an award in 1983, for The Dresser.

Nope... That would seem logical in a way but nope...

Had posted wrong too. I have edited it. The place is no longer open due to a roof that collapsed and killed 28 people and injured many others.

Aha... recall that story... Soviet Union/Russia wasn't it?

Right you are.... Moscow subtropical indoor theme park.

Thanks GR, woudn't mind too much having a Cabernet in one of those, :blink: which could set the mood for the next quick question:

What is "a Canis Majoris" better known as and what makes it special?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the constellation Canis Major.... but have only ever known it as that. Part of that constellation is Sirius which is the "brightest star" seen from earth.

It is one HUGE super star that is RED!

Not sure if it's as red as the stuff in the balthazar, some controversy exists about the colour, some say it't blue-white. Nonetheless, it's huge!

I'm guessing it has something to do with the constellation Canis Major.... but have only ever known it as that. Part of that constellation is Sirius which is the "brightest star" seen from earth.

All stars shine but none do it like Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky. Aptly named, Sirius comes from the Greek word Seirius, meaning, "searing" or "scorching." Blazing at a visual magnitude of -1.42, it is twice as bright as any other star in our sky.

Sirius resides in the constellation Canis Major, the Big Dog, and is commonly called the Dog Star.

Cincol, I was looking for Alpha Canis Majoris being the brightest star, like GR said.

GR, you're it (again)

Cincol must be homesick - first a boerewors and now a sosatie skewer...

hehe :D a huge YES on the boerwors, but as for sosaties we have plenty here in the form of shish tawook and tikka chicken! Shish tawook is available either in lamb of chicken - I prefer the lamb as the chicken can be rather dry, depending on where you get it. Generally the the tikka chicken is very tender and tasty. The biggest problem in Qatar is the lack of pork :D - bacon and spare ribs and braaied chops! :D Carbon Hunter has plenty in the UAE, but we have nothing! Saudi Arabia, Qatar & Kuwait have no pork or alcohol. The rest of the Middle East - UAE, Bahrain and Oman has everything. Yes, the joys of living in the Middle East. :D

I think GR is on the nail with Newcastle! Why would anybody who doesn't live in Newcastle know about this great feat of history!! :D I think that all bases have now been covered with braais and sosaties and Vanderbijl and Newcastle. The only other steel manufacturing places left are a small plant in Pretoria [not sure if it is still operational] and then Highveld Steel in Witbank and Columbus Steel in Middelburg. Let's see what Wazat says! :D

Edited by cincol

Right you are Global Rat. It was a 2.1km Sosati that the staff of Mittal Steel braaied in Newcastle. About 30min after the fire was going a heavy downpour put out the fire and the fires had to be relit. This was done the following day and with that they got themselves a place in the Guiness book of records.

Right you are Global Rat. It was a 2.1km Sosati that the staff of Mittal Steel braaied in Newcastle. About 30min after the fire was going a heavy downpour put out the fire and the fires had to be relit. This was done the following day and with that they got themselves a place in the Guiness book of records.

Never mind the kebab, that's one impressive braai.

I'll shoot from the hip - no research thus far

CJ Langenhoven wrote a book "Herrie op die ou treinspoor". There is a rock in the pass near De Rust (St Albert/st Alfred) with the name written on it.

Edited: Meiringspoort. Herrie was an elephat that featured in Langenhoven's books. He carved the name on a stone in Meiringspoort called Herrie se klip.

Edited by the pooks