South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

When I see "flight" written in inverted commas I immediately become suspicious! :unsure::) If my memory serves me correctly that would be Kimberley. Probably circa 1903 or 1904? :D

No - inverted commas as it was not a commercially sucessful flight - but was considered a flight none the less. Flight in the sense of a flying machine aiming to become an aeroplane.

Yes, now I remember! It was near Karkloof in the KZN Midlands. :rolleyes::ph34r::unsure:

A real flyer there :rolleyes:

Yep - in 1870 - John Household and his brother made two flights from around the De Magtenburg area (near Karkloof Falls). There is a small monument near the site.

But it was little publicised for fear of bringing the wrath of God on the family for interferring with the laws of nature.

This is not substantiated yet - but would have been a good 20 odd years before Lillienthal in Europe and even more than the Wright Brothers in the USA.

The flight was apparently more than 1 km long (much longer than the Wright Brothers (whose initial flight was shorter than the wingspan of a Jumbo jet!).

I have an article to anyone who is interested and wants to read it (send me a PM).

You're it Cincol.

Nope - you got it wrong. Not a flyer, just didn't know the name of the dude. :rolleyes:

Let's get into the sporting theme for a change. With the tour to Australia this month let us look at the gentlemen's game of Cricket. :rolleyes:

Where was the first ever International game of cricket ever played? For bonus points you can give the teams involved and the date if you wish.

As a matter of interest though South Africa was the 3rd country to become a Test playing nation and that was in 1889 - some 7 years after the famous Ashes Test at Lord's between England and Australia. In 1877 the first ever Test match was played. The earliest known reference to cricket being played was around 1550 at the Royal Grammar School in Guildford in Surrey, UK.

Was it played between Canada and USA? (I know either rugby or cricket - that was the first recorded test).

The teams are correct but no bonus points though. :unsure:

The game was played at the St George's Cricket Club in New York - of all places. :rolleyes: And it was NOT the first Test match played. That was between England and Australia in 1877 when 2 tests were played.

Well done. :rolleyes:

Hmm - I grew up in Springs. I remember Sappi coming to our school and handing out little fir trees to all the kids. And I seem to remember something about making paper from straw!

Yep - Anlufu - you're it - it was straw.

Enstra = derived from Enterprise Straw. Originally grown in Brits and shipped in. This didn't work so well - then they converted to wood.

Well done

Okay - here's an interesting one. Name the only lighthouse on the South African coast to be built on rock.

Clues:

Built in 1864.

Made of cast iron.

Untill recently was one of 2 remamining lighthouses to be manned 24 hours a day.

Untill the 1970's it had a clockwork mechanism which needed to be wound up ever 3 hours.

South Africa is credited with any inventions and world firsts. Many people know of the CATscan, world's first push-button telephones, Pratley Putty etc.

Less known, but South Africa is also credited with the world's first arch gravity Roller Compacted Concrete (RCC) dam. Two were actually built simultaneously and they are often both credited as being the worlds first although the one was completed in 1988 and the other in 1989. Name the one completed first in 1988.

Nope Wagendrift is not it... I was actually looking at the dam wall there the other day... Wagendrift was also built in the 60's

I think it is Nelpoort or Nelport something to that effect in the FS. Remember seeing something about it been the first of it's kind in the world.

There is a similar concept near Ladysmith but this was built in the late 1940's Although it uses steps on the downstream side it is only on the sides of the wall The center is dominated by a large steel sluice gate, so should this be lowered and the water goes over the sides it will be channeled over the steps... This may have been an early idea for the arch gravity RCC. I was doing a lot of research on this dam so this is where it came to the fore. Look out for a cache at Windsor dam sometime soon.

Windsor dam it would seem has been put out of commission as it was not effective enough and they have since built another dam called the Qedusizi Dam further downstream. This was completed in the late 1990's to help prevent the yearly floods that ladysmith encountered for many years.

Nope Wagendrift is not it... I was actually looking at the dam wall there the other day... Wagendrift was also built in the 60's

I think it is Nelpoort or Nelport something to that effect in the FS. Remember seeing something about it been the first of it's kind in the world.

There is a similar concept near Ladysmith but this was built in the late 1940's Although it uses steps on the downstream side it is only on the sides of the wall The center is dominated by a large steel sluice gate, so should this be lowered and the water goes over the sides it will be channeled over the steps... This may have been an early idea for the arch gravity RCC. I was doing a lot of research on this dam so this is where it came to the fore. Look out for a cache at Windsor dam sometime soon.

Windsor dam it would seem has been put out of commission as it was not effective enough and they have since built another dam called the Qedusizi Dam further downstream. This was completed in the late 1990's to help prevent the yearly floods that ladysmith encountered for many years.

Close enough, the dam is Knellpoort. The steps you mention, although characteristic of RCC dams, are often found in dams in order to soften the water coming over the wall and thereby reduce the erosion effect downstream.

Your turn.

"The City of Durban" was the name of a plane that was christened by the mayoress of Durban, it became a bit of a celebrity and the finalists of a Wool Board beauty contest were treated to an "Air lunch" aboard it. But this plane went on to become a South African first, what was it and when and where did this happen.

"The City of Durban" was the name of a plane that was christened by the mayoress of Durban, it became a bit of a celebrity and the finalists of a Wool Board beauty contest were treated to an "Air lunch" aboard it. But this plane went on to become a South African first, what was it and when and where did this happen.

i know, its was the first ever plane to fly with its passengers consiting only of sheep!!

i know, its was the first ever plane to fly with its passengers consiting only of sheep!!

Love DBob’s answer. :rolleyes: Don’t know if it is true, but just happened to read some info on this aircraft while researching the Pelican flights a few months ago. If memory serves, it was the first South African plane to have sleeper accommodation, hopefully nothing to do with the sheep :rolleyes: . It was also the first commercial plane crash in South Africa, crashing into a koppie (Spitzkoppie I think) near Memel sometime in 1948.

Priceless!