iPhone

leontempleton

My wife and I both have iPhone 3Gs and have been geocaching for a few weeks now and have logged 11 finds. We were wondering if it would be of any advantage to getting a GPS unit. We are having really good luck with the iPhones but sometimes we are thrown off by 30 or 40 feet with a varying target locator. We are using the Geopher app and just downloaded the new Groundspeak app. Any suggestions?

The Iphone, particularly with the geocaching.com app, is a useful thing to have. It is particularly useful for impromptu geocache hunts. The GPS in the iPhone isn't the best however, so you might be better off with an inexpensive hand held unit, especially if you are hunting under trees a lot.

The hand held units also are waterproof and ruggedly built, so will withstand a lot more abuse than your iPhone is designed to take. You don't want to encounter a sudden thunderstorm while using your iPhone, or bang it on rocks or drop it in a stream. You can get away with that with a dedicated hand held GPS. Something like a Garmin Venture HC would be a good choice.

The battery life would be a definite plus but my wife and i have over 80 finds now and they have all been done on an iPhone. I bought a cheap inverter for my truck. When i get back in the truck to go to the next cache location. I plug my phone in to keep the battery completely charged for that difficult hide. I would have to admit though. There has been more than one occasion that i have had to cut the search for a cache short because my battery was getting ready to die.

As for the accuracy, haven't had a problem. You sometimes have to be patient or restart the google maps app to get the GPS to update but it has always taken me right to the object.

My wife and I both have iPhone 3Gs and have been geocaching for a few weeks now and have logged 11 finds. We were wondering if it would be of any advantage to getting a GPS unit. We are having really good luck with the iPhones but sometimes we are thrown off by 30 or 40 feet with a varying target locator. We are using the Geopher app and just downloaded the new Groundspeak app. Any suggestions?

I have an iPhone 3G and the Geocaching app too but I bought the app after I started Geocaching with my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

You should get something closer than 30ft if you get a WAAS or EGNOS DGPS correction, this is something you won't get on the iPhone. Having a built in digital compass that points towards the goal IMHO is great and something that I wouldn't like to miss now.

Also, if you are like me and like to record all of this stuff these units create tracks of your adventures that you can display on Google Earth so you can see where you went on any given day.

Finally, for Geocaching the Garmin units have some nice features. Download your waypoints, navigate to the cache (you MUST select Off Road for the next bit to work), then when you find the cache go to the Compass screen and select 'Found' and it will automatically log that in the internal calendar, change the waypoint symbol to a found symbol and give you the next nearest cache to go to.

It's a personal thing of course but if the price of a decent mapping handheld (and possibly the add on maps) doesn't put you off I think it's well worth it.

One thing that I DO use the iPhone application for is looking up the cache description. Occasionally you will go to the co-ordinate and need to know information in the posting - puzzle caches etc.

Regards,

-Andy

I have been using the IPhone exclusively for the last 2 months and have 60+ finds.

Just today, I went 5 for 8 caches, were the 3 misses were where I gave up because the IPhone just could not get me close enough with its error to exclude numerous hiding spots and my daylight was fading.

I am going to pick up a good GPS for those caches that require more accuracy.

I can only go 8 caches attempts on a single charge. I am looking at external batteries to extend battery life.

Having said all that, I can go geocaching at the drop of a hat while my friends are hurriedly enter coords in the their GPS's and writing up their list of caches together.

I often will leave early for work or early from work to hit a few on the [not so direct] way home.

I have been using the IPhone exclusively for the last 2 months and have 60+ finds.

Just today, I went 5 for 8 caches, were the 3 misses were where I gave up because the IPhone just could not get me close enough with its error to exclude numerous hiding spots and my daylight was fading.

I am going to pick up a good GPS for those caches that require more accuracy.

I can only go 8 caches attempts on a single charge. I am looking at external batteries to extend battery life.

Having said all that, I can go geocaching at the drop of a hat while my friends are hurriedly enter coords in the their GPS's and writing up their list of caches together.

I often will leave early for work or early from work to hit a few on the [not so direct] way home.

I experienced the same issue with battery life. i bought a cheap inverter for my truck and while driving between caches i plug my iPhone in so that it stays charged. Just an idea. They're pretty cheap and have conventional outlets on them, you can use the cord that came with your iPhone to charge it as well.

with my Magellan SporTrak, I always assumed an accuracy of up tp 30'

Sounds like your iPhone is just as good.

My experience is that multiple GPS of different makes can help (gives you a second opinion on finding the zero point).

The iPhone is useful for getting to the general area, and looking up the cache page. I don't expect more from it, and wouldn't like to have it out much to get damaged in the woods.

with my Magellan SporTrak, I always assumed an accuracy of up tp 30'

Sounds like your iPhone is just as good.

My experience is that multiple GPS of different makes can help (gives you a second opinion on finding the zero point).

The iPhone is useful for getting to the general area, and looking up the cache page. I don't expect more from it, and wouldn't like to have it out much to get damaged in the woods.

I have two units - a garmin etrex thats a little slow to boot up, but accurate as hell under clear skies. My magellan sportrak is slower to lock on, and less accurate, but MUCH better under cover of trees. Ive found caches while the garmin people wander around like drunk bees.

My sportrak is infamous for being 30 feet off... If I'm standing at 0...I just look in a 30 foot circle and assume it will be there. But I love it. Ive dropped in in creeks, on rocks, etc. Its six years old or so and it has taken me everywhere. Although a color screen would be nice, I use an iPhone now too... and the two make a great pair. The Iphone takes me right to the closest parking place - and then it goes in my pocket while the SporTrak leads me the rest of the way. And I'm not worried about dropping either my iphone or a $250 GPS on the ground.

There are plenty of protectors for the iphone. I have a silicone wraparound thing, but otterbox makes a hard plastic shell with a rubber protector that makes the darn thing into a fortress. Still not waterproof though...so watch the storms.

I too have been using my Iphone successfully. One option that no one has mentioned is while using the Groundspeak app you can click on map. Then on the map page you can click on satellite view. Then you can zoom in and if the cache is not blocked by a tree you can see exactly where it is suppose to be. (Next to a log, sign, tree, bush) Of course this depends on how accurate the coords are. Also if it's under foliage it won't help but then some GPSs don't do that well in there either. I found one that was in the trees because when I looked at the picture I noticed in the parking area one of the white lines pointed directly at it. I just followed that white line.

I would hope that when a cache is placed, Google maps (satellite view) should be checked to verified the coords are accurate.

I would hope that when a cache is placed, Google maps (satellite view) should be checked to verified the coords are accurate.

I dont know about trusting google maps for "cache accurate" street maps. In my area, for example, there are several streets drawn on google maps that are incorrect, out of position, or just dont exist. I can check the satellite/hybrid view, and the drawn streets are not even close. Saying that, they ARE getting better.

I consider the google maps on geocaching just another tool - like my delorme topo atlas. They help me get there, but when its said and done, its down to description, hints, and the GPS. I also remember when geocaching did not HAVE google maps - only an awful orange screen with blue dots, with bare minimum roads.

If you want to make sure your coords are spot on.... mark it...walk away and "seek" your cache. If you keep coming back to different spots, maybe you need to change things.

BTW - Ive tried using my iphone gps. It does okay for locating me while driving, but for geocaching it sucks. I dont know how you guys do it.

Welcome to Geocaching!!!!!

You know, my experience has been that whenever you get several appliances packed into one package, they all tend to be a little on the mediocre side.

Definitely consider getting a GPSr. I have the Garmin GPSMAP60cx. It is rugged, dependable, has a USB port for downloading caches, and very accurate!!!

Best of Luck!!!

Grigorii Rasputin

WWW.Glass-cockpit.org

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx and an iPhone 3G. I have not had a lot of luck caching with the iPhone.

I bought the app from GSP and was impressed at what it could do but when it came to flat out accuracy, the phone never even came close to what I can do with my Garmin.

The best reception I get with my Garmin is 3M (just under 10 feet) and I usually have within 3-5M accuracy in most locations unless I am REALLY covered and then a lot of the time I get great reception.

Recently, I wanted to get a cache that had been hidden near my work but I didn't have my GPS so I thought I would try and use the iPhone. Well, 17M accuracy was as best as I could get (about 50ft) and after wandering around the same area for a half hour, I found the cache. If I had not had the clue, there is no way I would have ever found it.

I have instead resorted to using the phone for paperless caching. If I go caching and need the hint, or want more info, I open up the app, have it find caches near me, and the one I am looking for is usually the closest so I choose it and get the info I need. Since I always have my phone with me when I cache, it works great instead of hauling my PDA around with me.

The iPhone also doesn't allow you to "mark" them as found, and go back to them later to log. A real GPS has all of that functionality.

Personally, I am in the market to buy myself a newer GPS within the next year and I will likely get something that let's me do paperless caching without my phone. I'll still keep up with the iPhone app and keep it with me in case I am without GPS, but after having cached with both the phone and a real unit, I'll stick to my trail GPS.

I don't think anybody here is saying that the Iphone is better than a hand held GPS. In fact the compass mode makes it very apparent that it's not. And as soon as the economy gets better (I'm on a fixed income) I'm going to get one. But if you have to use your Iphone I've had very good luck using the Groundspeak app. the Google map feature and clicking on the satellite view and then zoom in all the way. Now this doesn't work for all areas because Google doesn't have enough data in some areas. But here in California I can zoom down and see a car and the pin they place on the map can actually show me which fender! It has shown me caches next to logs, small bushes, large rocks. Really in these cases the handheld GPS wouldn't have done me any better. It's obvious this won't work for wooded areas but I have found a couple in trees because the pin pointed to the center of the tree and I was able to determine which tree. So give it a try next time before you pull out your GPS.

I just got my iPhone and am using the geocaching app. On my first day (with the new phone and out as a geocacher!) I found 5 of 8 tries. I'm concerned that my accuracy is so far off. When I go to "Navigate" it will say something like N 40 ft, with 150 ft accuracy. Is there anyway to calibrate or fine-tune the GPS on the iPhone or in the spp?

Nisa;)

I just got my iPhone and am using the geocaching app. On my first day (with the new phone and out as a geocacher!) I found 5 of 8 tries. I'm concerned that my accuracy is so far off. When I go to "Navigate" it will say something like N 40 ft, with 150 ft accuracy. Is there anyway to calibrate or fine-tune the GPS on the iPhone or in the spp?

Nisa;)

The iPhone's GPS chip is there to provide e911 compliance and to allow the unit to be "location aware". It's more about telling you where the nearest pizza joint is, than zeroing in on tupperware in the woods.

The iPhone is a nice Car GPS but not worth using it if you drop it in the mud or go caching rain or shine.

A Garmin eTrex series would be your best bet to protect your investment on that iPhone.

Get it a cradle for the car and leave it in it.

Actually just put it in the glove box. Tis the season to "smash and grab". Yes, you can cancel your service, but all they need to do is insert their sim card. OR - just keep and use as an iPod "touch".

I started caching this past Summer, with a Nuvi 200, quickly upgraded to the CO 400t. I also now have an Iphone.

Like the many posts prior, Battery power, and the element of destruction from the many adventures caching will take you , will not help keep that Iphone from falling into a river, tumbling down that cliff, nope the pristine.condition will be gone.

sure you can charge it in the cache-mobile, but it will be hard to protect from the elements.

I do use my I-phone, mainly in the cache-mobile, and once in a while for sat pics of the area, and to check the listing, and log the find or DNF. Otherwie it is tucked safely away in the swag sack.

I would suggest getting a handheld, outdoor style GPS'r, has a better GPS chip set, and are designed for the outdoor elements , much better than the I-phone.

I have a few GPS units, and Oregon 400T and a 60Csx. I am considering picking up an iPhone just because I would really like having the satellite maps of the areas I go to. From the sounds of things, the iPhone does a really nice job with that. I can get the iPhone for $150 through my work, but my only reservation is that I am with Verizon service now, and have heard unfavorable reports regarding the ATT coverage. So, there's that. I had hoped that one of the Verizon handsets would be able to do the satellite maps as well as the iPhone, but that is not the case, at least not yet. I also would like to be able to find caches whenever and wherever I go. I already have about 20k caches for my region loaded in both my 60CSx and my Oregon, but the data has to be downloaded. I think I would like the iPhone GC app just to be able to pull up the live cache data, on site.

I am curious about how good a GPS the 3G model is, tho. I can't imagine it's as good as the 60CSx reception-wise, but there is a lot to be said for having the entire cache page handy.