Palm TX and paperless and Vista

The Yinnies

My friend has a palm tx and vista. She cannot load GSAK onto her computer. Is there any other way to go paperless without using GSAK?

And why not? Many users are using GSAK on a Vista computer, I'm one of them. GSAK should be loaded into C:\GSAK on a vista computer, not C:\program files\GSAK. The default installation of GSAK does that. If you have other problems try here to get help.

Jim

There is something that won't let her.

I don't suppose you have any kind of error message, or do we just make guesses? My first guess is anti-virus software. But follow the link I gave before for help, there are some really helpful folks over there and even Clyde will chime in with help.

Jim

I am just a tadpole, so I don't have GSAK yet.

But what I do is send the cache points to my nuvi, load those into Mapsource, copy/paste the waypoints from there into a Palm Desktop "memo", remove whitespace, add any notes, and then Hotsync. I put the Palm TX in a ziplock bag to keep it dry.

My gpsr is an ancient Garmin GPS 45 (circa 1995) that just has 6 char waypoint names and 16 char discription, so I further condense a copy of waypoint info to upload to that. And it has minimal character set, so when a cache was 600' or 0.13 mi south of the waypoint, my description was "600 FT 0-13 MI S".

Despite my old scanning gpsr w/no maps and 15 meter (49') accuracy at best, I found the first 2 caches I searched for (micro cache in the woods and a keyholder) without looking at any encrypted hints. I enjoy a challenge.

If you are not aware of it, see http://wap.geocaching.com/ from the Palm TX. If you do not have WiFi, there is a Windows program called "mRouter" that can network connect it using PPP through Bluetooth or its USB cable.

Just chiming in as a Windows Vista user who is running GSAK happily and without incident.

Just to further difficult matters, I'm running 64-bit Vista and GSAK still loaded (and performs) beautifully!

GSAK runs fine on 64 bit. Just don't try to hot sync your palm, you won't be so happy.

Jim