Hey Owners.... What's In YOUR Case?

infiniteMPG

After doing my once a month or so clean up of my GC toolbox that remains tucked in the back of my Jeepster, it started me wondering if it was at all odd for me to haul this around everywhere I went and if other GC owners might be doing the same. So I decided this was a good question to toss out on the floor in the forums. My "travel kit" for geocaching maintenance starts with a nice (and cheap from Wal-Mart) Stanley tote box with fold down sides and six side drawers :

GC01.jpg

It looks pretty innocent when closed up, but after a while it's collected quite an array of necessary maintenance items. The drawers are divided into groups of things like tools such as needle nose pliers, scisors , super glue, various screws, nails, c-clips, and wire ties, a drawer of blank log sheets for micros and regulars, a drawer of a variety of velcro fasteners, one of pens, markers, bug spray, Cortaid Ivy Wipes (a necessity!!!), some first aid stuff, various plastic baggies, and regular sized cache log books.

GC02.jpg

The fold down compartments are perfect to hold a wide variety of larger gear, camo paint & degreaser, camo tape, mini-pry bay/hammer combo tool, bailing wire, batteries, popcicle sticks, magnets, micro and small containers of various flavors and swag items.

GC04.jpg

And the other side has camo rope, fake vines/leaves, industrial double-sided tape, 35mm's, magnetic key holders, nano containers, poncho and a few other various items.

GC03.jpg

Not saying I'd enjoy explaining to the authorities what this gear is doing in my Jeep, but hopefully they'd of at least heard of geocaching :laughing:

So I guess I need to ask.... What's in YOUR travel kit???? :rolleyes:

That looks like a heck of a geocaching setup.

This is my basic bag for caches under a 10 mile round trip:

GPS

Palm

Extra batteries

Camera

Extra camera batteries

Gun

Gloves

Blaze orange vest (hunting areas)

headlamp

two flashlights

TBs and coins if I have any

A couple of pens

Hand sanitizer

Water

I naturally carry a bit more for longer trips.

Your case looks like my benchmarking toolbox.

- Rev Mike

Edit - Third typo of the day.

Edited by Rev Mike

In my geocaching travel kit that stays in my car (from memory):

- Knee high waterproof rubber boots

- Rain poncho

- Brimmed hat for the rain

- Baseball hat

- Deet bug spray

- 2 hiking poles

- Orange safety vest and hat for caching in hunting areas

- Pen & paper

- LED Maglight

- LED Headlamp

- Spare pair of hiking boots

- Sweatshirt

- A few bottles of water

- Leather gloves

- Garbage bags

I have a separate first aid kit that's always in my car too. I don't carry cache containers in my car because any cache I hide is going to be well thought out. The paper and pen comes into play long before a cache container is needed.

I like this topic and am completely envious of the condition of your geocache replacement / repair kit.

The ammo cans that I carry have:

several types of camo duct tape

pliers

screwdriver with interchangeable head

wire

wire cutters

screws

nails

sharpies

ready-to-go log books in various sizes

pencils

my geotokens

several small ready-to-go camoed nano caches

several ready-to-go small caches

I usually have one ready-to-go ammo can with me as well

swag items

spare GPSr

Anything that I find on the trail that may become camouflage.

After doing my once a month or so clean up of my GC toolbox that remains tucked in the back of my Jeepster, it started me wondering if it was at all odd for me to haul this around everywhere...

Odd? Maybe, but I like the idea. I need to contain my geocaching into a smaller space and that looks like a great way to do it. It had taken over a filing cabinet. I winnowed that down a bit but a well designed toolbox looks like a good way to go.

Well done.

After doing my once a month or so clean up of my GC toolbox that remains tucked in the back of my Jeepster, it started me wondering if it was at all odd for me to haul this around everywhere I went and if other GC owners might be doing the same. So I decided this was a good question to toss out on the floor in the forums. My "travel kit" for geocaching maintenance starts with a nice (and cheap from Wal-Mart) Stanley tote box with fold down sides and six side drawers :

GC01.jpg

It looks pretty innocent when closed up, but after a while it's collected quite an array of necessary maintenance items. The drawers are divided into groups of things like tools such as needle nose pliers, scisors , super glue, various screws, nails, c-clips, and wire ties, a drawer of blank log sheets for micros and regulars, a drawer of a variety of velcro fasteners, one of pens, markers, bug spray, Cortaid Ivy Wipes (a necessity!!!), some first aid stuff, various plastic baggies, and regular sized cache log books.

GC02.jpg

The fold down compartments are perfect to hold a wide variety of larger gear, camo paint & degreaser, camo tape, mini-pry bay/hammer combo tool, bailing wire, batteries, popcicle sticks, magnets, micro and small containers of various flavors and swag items.

GC04.jpg

And the other side has camo rope, fake vines/leaves, industrial double-sided tape, 35mm's, magnetic key holders, nano containers, poncho and a few other various items.

GC03.jpg

Not saying I'd enjoy explaining to the authorities what this gear is doing in my Jeep, but hopefully they'd of at least heard of geocaching :laughing:

So I guess I need to ask.... What's in YOUR travel kit???? :rolleyes:

If and when you go find caches out in nature do you lug that with you?

I have a much bigger and heavier toolbox for my benchmark stuff but if I am heading to a mark on a summit or something I just throw the bare minimum into a backpack.

- Rev Mike

If and when you go find caches out in nature do you lug that with you?
Nooooooooooo.... this is just my general "tackle box" for my maintenance runs, and it doesn't include the ammo cans, Lock-n-Locks, fake plastic animals and fruit with containers built in, some camo stuff (Spanish moss, etc), and other things that are too big for the case. If I'm doing a maintenance run deep somewhere I pull from this box and toss it in a backpack or waist pack depending on hiking, biking or 'yakkin'.

If I'm seeking caches it's a totally different load, which includes hiking stick (from Indian village off the Appalachian Trail with GC crest in the handle), GPSr, Olympus waterproof camera, PDA, and a load of other gear depending on the mode of transportation. But the OP is geared more towards the owner maintenance kits.

I have been used to having a little fun poked at me from my gear in my Jeep even back in July, 2006 : WeeklyPlanet July-2006

(even if they can't spell my name correctly.... hehehe) :laughing:

I have a bag with lots of other stuff, but I seem to forget it in the trunk of the car except for the longest of hikes. Hope to never be in a situation where I curse my forgetfulness.
I think I am guilty far too often of remembering my geocaching gear for maintenance or hunting and then when out on the trails realize I forgot my water... :)

GC01.jpg

GC02.jpg

GC04.jpg

GC03.jpg

Not saying I'd enjoy explaining to the authorities what this gear is doing in my Jeep, but hopefully they'd of at least heard of geocaching :)

So I guess I need to ask.... What's in YOUR travel kit???? :)

For cache maint. I use all you have pictured just not as well organized....good job with the case.

For Hunting :

1. Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS Unit + Belt Holster (EBAY- If you will have a regular partner , get two )

2. Palm M500 PDA and case ( ebay- buy an extra for backup )

3. 12” metal probe for searching tree cavities etc. for micro caches

4. 2 “ or 3” extension mirror

5. Small, intense flashlight ( Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax )

6. Pencil

7. Sharpie ( Fine Point)

8. Cotton Gloves

9. Pocket Screwdriver

10. Walking stick

11. Plastimo Iris 50 Hand Bearing Compass ( Great for offset caches)

12. C401FSDC MAHA NiMH Battery Charger

13. Maha 2500 mAh NiMH PowerX AA Batteries (GPS,camera,flashlights,etc. )

14. Digital Camera

15. Access to computer w/ internet connection ( premium membership in geocaching.com is best

I'm fairly new, so I'm seeing a lot of really good ideas here.

Right now my cache kit consists of:

1) digital camera in camera bag. I keep my log-writing pen in the camera bag, because sometimes I do not take the:

2) baby formula bag that was given to me when I had my baby in order to tempt me into buying formula. It's fairly large and has lots of pockets and is waterproof, so is very handy. It contains:

a) the GPSr (a Garmin with UpUpDown maps of Japan loaded)

B) batteries for the GPSr

c) lots and lots and lots of 100-Yen-store swag

d) a couple of pathtags

e) paper towels

f) a couple of large-ish notebooks that could be logs, with pens

g) several small printed logbooks

h) plastic bags folded up into small triangles, for CITO

i) some nanocaches, either to use or to leave as swag.

j) did I mention the swag? Really, the bag is mostly filled with swag.

I'm thinking, though, that I should add some other stuff. I like the extension mirror idea, and I really need to pack some Off! in there since I always forget it. And some water. I like the LED headlight idea too. You guys are really smart!

Edited to add: I also have several packets of zip-lock-type polybags. They're available in a myriad of sizes at one of the local 100 Yen stores and I always make sure I have them handy. Some of the caches around here are either not watertight or are really subject to condensation, so if I run across delicate stuff, I'll dry it off and bag it up (in addition to cleaning up the cache).

Did I mention swag?

swag_sm.jpg

Edited by Jackalgirl

GPS

Palm

Extra batteries

Camera

Extra camera batteries

Gun

Gloves

headlamp

two flashlights

A couple of pens

Hand sanitizer

Water

Seriously? A gun?

Yes.

Came in handy the first time I ran into a mother bear with cubs.

- Rev Mike

One indispensable item I forgot to show better in the owner's kit is a Euro-Pro Shark 8" Pry Bar :

61J91E72C7L._SS500_.gif

This is a short pry bar with a slit end like the back of a claw hammer for pulling nails, a really sturdy pry end for prying stuff (duh!), but the back side of the nail pulling end is flattened and heavy and is a neat little hammer for driving in small nails for hanging stuff with. It's only 8" long so it stores easily. And between that and my Gerber Clutch I'm set :

GerberClutch.jpg

You may think this is your regular ol' universal pocket tool but understand this guy is only 2-1/2" long and light as a feather and tough as nails! One of the best investments I've made.

c) lots and lots and lots of 100-Yen-store swag

I loved the 100 Yen stores in Japan! Much better than the $1.00 stores here, though I spend enough of my money at the $1.00 store!

I've just stared geocaching, I have 27 finds, but am taking notes for the day I start hiding. I love the organization of the toolbox.

One indispensable item I forgot to show better in the owner's kit is a Euro-Pro Shark 8" Pry Bar :

61J91E72C7L._SS500_.gif

This is a short pry bar with a slit end like the back of a claw hammer for pulling nails, a really sturdy pry end for prying stuff (duh!), but the back side of the nail pulling end is flattened and heavy and is a neat little hammer for driving in small nails for hanging stuff with. It's only 8" long so it stores easily....

The thought of why anyone would need a pry bar passes through my mind... :)

Seems to me most cache owners would cringe at the thought of you searching for their cache using that thing. If the cache is hidden in a way that a wrecking bar makes it easier to find, I can't think of how you'd re-hide it in the same way you found it, unless you have an UN-wrecking bar. :P

As far as using it to drive nails, that's a whole 'nuther can'o'worms. Whose property are you poking nails into? Regardless of the fact that you might not actually be doing any real harm, what will the property owner think of it? :laughing:

Edited by Too Tall John

The thought of why anyone would need a pry bar passes through my mind... :P

I would have totally agreed with you until last Sunday. A cache was hidden in the corner of an old foundation (from a barn, I believe). There was a tree growing up in the corner, and the cache, a jar, had been hidden in the corner between the tree and the two walls. A rock had been placed on top of it. The last hider, however, had put too much force on the rock, which had become tightly wedged in place. We tried using sticks, but they broke under the force. We looked all over the old farm before finally finding a piece of iron that was able to pry the rock out.

That said, I'm sure I would not have carried the pictured prybar into the woods with me, and would not have hiked back to the car to get it.

Seems to me most cache owners would cringe at the thought of you searching for their cache using that thing. If the cache is hidden in a way that a wrecking bar makes it easier to find, I can't think of how you'd re-hide it in the same way you found it, unless you have an UN-wrecking bar. :)
Never took this along to hunt caches, only to hide or maintain. But if you'd of seen some of the rusted Altoid cans we've found and the damage we did to our bike pedals and other things trying to pry them open, you'd understand this wouldn't be such a bad thing to haul along :P

As far as using it to drive nails, that's a whole 'nuther can'o'worms. Whose property are you poking nails into? Regardless of the fact that you might not actually be doing any real harm, what will the property owner think of it? :laughing:
A skinny picture hanging nail in the side of a old dead tree or abandoned fence post in the middle of nowhere isn't doing a great deal of harm... and a lot less harm then people's feet or bike tires getting to it. The only time I've ever used the prying end was to pry apart some tree roots where someone hid a hide back in the wrong place and it got wedged where it didn't belong. A lot less damage then pulling out the ol' bushaxe :laughing: (that doesn't fit in my case)

Hi! My name is June and I'm a cache-aholic.... :)

I personally use a back pack. All the junk inside is in baggies so I can quick grab them and set them on the floor of the truck without all the stuff scattering all over. Then I can place a large ammo box, or several Lock-N-Lock containers, in the backpack and off I go! I look like an ordinary hiker and feel better than I would carrying an exposed large ammo box down the trail.

In my backpack:

* Swag of course!

* Replacement Pens

* Sheet of Labels (I'm also an organizeeverythingaholic)

* All shapes and sizes of stash notes, (some of each for geocaching, letterboxing and hybrid boxes)

* Blaze Orange Vests (lots of hunters around here)

* Writing Utensils, pens, pencils and sharpies

* All shapes and sizes of replacement log books

* Little Diary keys (several of my KID CACHES have diaries for log books)

* Camera

* Batteries

* All sizes zipper baggies, for trash and replacing broken ones

* Map Compass

* Survival Whistles

* Little compact soap (Paper thin sheets that you just add a touch of bottled water to and you have suds!)

* My Clip-On Retractable Geocaching Pen (See it there hanging on the outside of the backpack?)

I also have a large plastic bin with some of the bigger stuff that stays in the truck:

* Caches ready to be planted

* A nano that I won at an event, taped to the inside of the lid, I have no idea what to do with it.

* Wire, 2 different guages

* Wire cutter

* Plyers

* Green Spray Paint that adheres to plastic

* Camo duct tape

* Fishing Line

* Thick Sharpie marker

OK, so now, there you have it, I AM A GEEK! I've been letterboxing for about 2 years and geocaching for only a few months! I can't imagine how much stuff I'll have a year from now!

This has been fun, thanks for the thread! :P

EDITED TO ADD: I don't know how to add the photos! Bummer....

Edited by MsMotorcycle
OK, so now, there you have it, I AM A GEEK! I've been letterboxing for about 2 years and geocaching for only a few months! I can't imagine how much stuff I'll have a year from now! This has been fun, thanks for the thread! :D
Wow..... no GPSr??? hehehehe Just kidding, great list. When we head out into the wild we also dump required materials into back pack but never thought about segregating it into baggies (maybe big freezer bags?). Good idea. But somethings still don't fit which makes it odd when you get spotted hiking while carrying a large bleached cow skull or rigged up tree stump up on your shoulder.... :D
EDITED TO ADD: I don't know how to add the photos! Bummer....
The pictures have to be online somewhere and then you use the INSERT IMAGES button at the top of the editing window (the little tree icon). When you click on the icon it will just ask you for the URL address and name of the image. After you put it in you can also highlight the image text and center it, too. Always preview first as some sites don't allow redirections and sometimes the pictures don't show up.

f6cd27b3-38c0-49ac-8712-dd341e36e906.jpg

:D

Nope! No GPSr! It stays in my hand or my jacket pocket at all times, usually connected with a tether strap. I've lost it once and it was a horrible feeling.

I love baggies, the big quart and gallon size ones. They are great for compartmentalizing things. I used to have all the loose stuff in the backpack. When I needed to empty it to put a cache in for carrying into the woods, everything would end up all over the floor of the truck. What a hassle to pick it all up and put it back into the backpack. Now that it's in gallon baggies, it works so nicely. Wish I had thought of it earlier.

As my friends like to tease......"She has a bin or baggie for everything in her house!"

What did I tell ya! I'm an organizeeverythingaholic! :D

GPS

Palm

Extra batteries

Camera

Extra camera batteries

Gun

Gloves

headlamp

two flashlights

A couple of pens

Hand sanitizer

Water

Seriously? A gun?

Yes.

- Rev Mike

I hope you've never shot a mother bear...

Seems weird to me...since you're stepping into her territory. How about carrying a bear bell, instead, and making your presence known, thereby avoiding murder...

Thanks for the great info. I'd been wondering what more experienced cachers keep on hand.

Currently the bag I carry out with me contains

-headlamp

-gloves

-couple swag items

-any print outs for the caches I'm targeting

-GPS case

-GPS car charger

-Spare pens/pencils

-Spare logsheets

Probably should throw a pair of socks in there for when I inevitably dunk my feet in a stream/puddle/lake/ocean. :laughing:

You guys are seriously organized! I carry a small daypack. Besides my ziplok of caching tokens, swag, and bag of TBs/coins to drop, I usually carry these:

Hand sanitizer

Hand lotion

First aid kit (small, basic)

Multi-tool

Tweezers

Small piece of wire

Couple of pens

Coin-size ziploks & sandwich size (to replace damaged bags

I find in caches)

Compass

Small mirror (on a swiveling, extension handle)

Water bottle & energy bar (never know when you'll be hiking & caching)

Reading glasses

Tissues

Log book

Ready-to-place caches with logs

GPS

Palm

Extra batteries

Camera

Extra camera batteries

Gun

Gloves

headlamp

two flashlights

A couple of pens

Hand sanitizer

Water

Seriously? A gun?

Yes.

- Rev Mike

I hope you've never shot a mother bear...

Seems weird to me...since you're stepping into her territory. How about carrying a bear bell, instead, and making your presence known, thereby avoiding murder...

A bear bell just tells a brown bear that dinner is on the way.

Out here, there are things that will eat you (or just mess you up for the fun of it) if given the chance. As much as you need to be aware of nature around you, some things are just out to get you and they will hunt you for sport. If you ever look up at a ridge above you and see a mountain lion, you will be glad that you are carrying something. Snake shot in the chamber and +p for the rest.

A bear bell just tells a brown bear that dinner is on the way.
Here in Florida it would tell the deer and hog hunters that a target is on the way....

::BURP!::... pass me another one, here comes a hog and I think it ate Santa!

Out here, there are things that will eat you (or just mess you up for the fun of it) if given the chance. As much as you need to be aware of nature around you, some things are just out to get you and they will hunt you for sport.
Nothing more fun then hiking miles and miles from civilization (when it's not hunting season), start noticing emptied shotgun casings on the trail and then start hearing random gunshots echoing thu the trees.... directly between you and your path back to your car....