Low Cost GPS Entry into Geocaching for New Hobbist?

mchakravorty

Groundspeak Forum Users,

Recently stumbled on to geocaching.

Sounds interesting and fun.

Looking for advice on the best way to enter in at cheaper dollar point.

I need a GPS. Read a number of threads reviewing GPS Units and offering advice.

My Questions are the following...

1. What is the cheapest GPS you would recommend for a starter?

2. What is your experience with Remanufactured GPS Units?

3. Anyone have a Remanufactured DeLorme PN-20 Experience?

Regards,

M.Chakravorty

First off, what is cheap in your opinion? You can find a basic eTrex yellow pretty cheap ($50 or less) but I'm not sure if that's cheap or expensive. I'm guessing that since you're looking at a remanufactured PN-20, then $50 is cheap since the PN-20 runs more than that I assume. Not sure, but if the unit is Remanufactured by Delorme, then it should function as new and come with some sort of warranty, if not, I would stay away. I've always been a Garmin fan. I use a Colorado 300 and am very happy with it. I got it off of Craigs list for what I thought was cheap, but some probably wouldn't.

I looked around for the lowest cost decent performing unit when I wanted a handheld unit, and ended up with the eTrex Venture HC.

Pros:

• Low cost (about $115 online)
  • USB interface (the cheaper Garmin models are serial RS-232)
  • High sensitivity receiver
  • Garmin - so widely supported by software

Cons:

• Only 14 characters for waypoint name, 30 characters for notes (not for paperless geocaching)
  • No electronic compass
  • Very simple maps
  • Only 500 waypoints (some other Garmin models allow 1000)

It is more than sufficient to get you to your waypoint. Not much in the way of bells and whistles.

All,

Thank you for your prompt responses.

Sorry for the unclear original post.

I have an obligation to remain on my Blackberry Phone so while I'd love to get an iPhone its not an rational option for me. My Price Range is $75-$150. I'll check craigslist and online for eTrex Venture HC, that seems to be very popular on the boards. The Delorme Remanufactures do have warrently coverage.

If anyone else has opinion please continue to share.

I expect to purchase online Tuesday before Lunch EST so that I may do a field test this weekend.

Regards,

M.Chakravorty

All,

I have an obligation to remain on my Blackberry Phone so while I'd love to get an iPhone its not an rational option for me. My Price Range is $75-$150. I'll check craigslist and online for eTrex Venture HC, that seems to be very popular on the boards. The Delorme Remanufactures do have warrently coverage.

I expect to purchase online Tuesday before Lunch EST so that I may do a field test this weekend.

Regards,

M.Chakravorty

I had one of the refurbished DeLorme PN-20s, never gave me a second of trouble. in fact, I liked it so much that I sold it so I could buy a PN-40. Also, look at the Garmin Legend HCx, www.pcnation.com has them for $183 shipped (FedEx 3-day shipping for free), very good price for a very nice unit. Although the refurb PN-20 at www.tigergps.com is about the same price shipped, and is also a very nice unit, although a little on the slow side for screen changes and map redraws (still worth it, though, don't let the slower processor scare you off).

All,

Regards,

M.Chakravorty

Check Amazon for the Venture HC. They have the best price you will find...

As said above, Tiger has a decent price on the PN-20 reman.

I use a Venture HC, and am pretty happy with it. It has all the essentials you need in order to cache. For paperless, I use an iPod nano. When I bought mine, I had never heard of DeLorme... I might have gone with that, but it is more money too - and I didn't want to spend any more than I had to.

I use a Venture HC, and am pretty happy with it. It has all the essentials you need in order to cache. For paperless, I use an iPod nano. When I bought mine, I had never heard of DeLorme... I might have gone with that, but it is more money too - and I didn't want to spend any more than I had to.

With the PN-20 you'll get the needed mapping software for part of the entry price, with a new or re-furb.

of any thing else, that will be an added expense.

To be blunt they all come with the most rudimentary base map, w/the PN-XXs it's(additional mapping) part

of the initial outlay.

Norm

With the PN-20 you'll get the needed mapping software for part of the entry price, with a new or re-furb.

of any thing else, that will be an added expense.

To be blunt they all come with the most rudimentary base map, w/the PN-XXs it's(additional mapping) part

of the initial outlay.

Norm

I noticed you said the mapping software was needed. Why is it needed? Am I missing out on something big by not having it?

Hi Sportside, I too am new to Geocaching. Right now I have a old Magellan 315 that I have had for years and it is a great unit, especially since I upgraded the firmware. I have had no problems with it. I wanted to upgrade to something that I could easily connect to the computer and have maps available to use if I needed/wanted. I though since I had such good luck with Magellan I would get a Triton 500. Had everything I wanted and was under $200.00. I decided to do some research first and found out that the Triton units are having issues with the firware. I even went to their forum and read through some of the post there. The stories were too scary for me, so then I decided to look at Garmins. Way to many units to decide upon and way to expensive for my budget once I decided on a unit that would work for me. I kept reading here and there about the NP-20. I did not even consider it because it was not a mainstream unit. Sure I own Delorme maps, but a GPS! I got frustrated after two days of reading forums and looking around on Garmin and Magellan web sites so I decided to look closer at the Delorme PN-20. I got on their forum and found mostly good stories from the people there. Lots of people were helping each other out. Lots of good info on how to manipulate maps and make the unit run faster. I read about how firware upgrades were great and made the units more valuable to the owners than when they bought them new. I saw Delorme representatives interacting on the form. All these things made the decision for me. Don't take my word for it (I am in no way connected to Delorme) read through the forums yourself. I just ordered today a refurbished unit and am now patiently waiting for its arrival so I can play with the software it comes with.

Well, I know that making that big leap into a new GPS is frustrating. After all today's times are a bit rough and I know I wanted to get the most bang for my buck so I hope this helps. Good luck and good caching, ghcoe.

Edited by ghcoe

<edit>

To be blunt they all come with the most rudimentary base map<edit>

Norm

Norm

Thanks for giving me some insight as to why an upgraded map is needed. I appreciate it.

Sandwich eaten, brain back.

The base maps that ship with most current entry level handheld GPSrs are as basic as the manufacturer

(i''m speaking in general, there is an exception) feels is necessary to get a functional (sic) unit out the door.

My magellan XL lacked most state routes, had no streets (period), and 0, nada, for topography.

In order for me to have any more than the slimmest hint as to where I was in relation to my surroundings

the purchase of MapSend was required, there was also routable streetmaps avail. but at the better part

of a c-note Topo was fine for me, it had streets. So, in a nutshell : The pusher man gits ya hooked, then

feeds yer habit. Not so with DeLorme, you buy your GPSr, open the box, take out your stuff, and start

learning how to use it, there's a very astute user community @ their forum who are patient, and truly

have a desire to share, and help. a valorous bunch.

OK, I'm stepping down, who wants a turn on the soapbox now?

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Not so with DeLorme, you buy your GPSr, open the box, take out your stuff, and start

learning how to use it, there's a very astute user community @ their forum who are patient, and truly

have a desire to share, and help. a valorous bunch.

OK, I'm stepping down, who wants a turn on the soapbox now?

Norm

Not me. I have to get to the DeLorme forums

http://forums.delorme.com/index.php

to attend a Box Opening. :)

I noticed you said the mapping software was needed. Why is it needed? Am I missing out on something big by not having it?

Detailed maps are not essential, but I think most of us would agree that they greatly enhance the usefulness of your GPS. They can show or allow:

1. Street routing
  2. Points of Interest (e.g., restaurants, gas stations, hospitals)
  3. Streams, rivers, ponds, lakes
  4. Topographical data
  5. Trails

...and there are other things. It's not a bad thing to start off without maps and add them later when you're ready for them...or when you can afford to add them in, as the case may be. But it does depend on what you want to use a GPS for.