Attachment Options for Garmin 60Csx

vwaldoguy

I'm seeking advice from others who use either a Lanyard or Carabiner clip on their 60Csx. Obviously, that half inch hole in the GPSr shell is meant to be clipped to something, does anyone use it? Uncertain if I'd want it hanging around my neck, but perhaps clipped to a belt loop or a backpack strap might be useful. Anyone have any pics of their 60csx in various forms of attachment?

Thanks,

Van

Edited by vwaldoguy

The lanyard supplied by Garmin is intentionally designed to be weak and break away if caught. I lost a GPS in Switzerland when my lanyard broke. Long sad story.

I now use a much stronger lanyard. I purchased a "Duck Call" laynard at Bass Pro Stores. It is a tight fit to thread it through the lanyard slot. It is about 18 inches long.

I still use the belt clip supplied by Garmin as the primary clasp. The lanyard has a carabiner at the end that I secure to my belt. If the belt clip fails (and it will because it is not sturdy), I have a safety net with the lanyard/carabiner. Allows me to hold GPS in my hand, easily clip to my belt and if I drop it, the lanyard keeps it from hitting the ground.

May sound like overkill but after losing one unit, I am not taking any chances.

p.s. I strongly recommend you put reflective tape on all four sides of your GPS. Makes it easier to find (at night with a BFL) if you do lose it in dense bush.

Edited by Tequila

Be sure you do not attach any restraining device to the large hole on the right side of the antenna; the rubber material is weak and tears easilly. The small lanyard attachment point on the left side of the unit near the top is a little stronger, but mine has already broken. Really, the only strong attachment point is the belt clip post. There are adapters for clipping a carabiner to this post (see link), but because I have never used one, I can't tell you how well they work.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-belt-cl...r/beltcarab.htm

GW

I just hooked on the supplied wrist strap. Then I hooked a lanyard with a clip end to the wrist strap. I couldn't find a lanyard that ended with a string small enough to fit. But I could finds lots of pretty ones with clips. Just hooked one on the wrist strap and I'm good to go. The lanyard is long enough that I can still hold it in my hand and read it. But, it can hang in front when I need both hands free.

And Glenn W is right. That space next to the antenna will NOT support any attachments. I already know of someone who did that and it tore almost immediately.