Adopting an abandoned cache? Can it be done?

Coffee Peddlers

I just placed a cache along a trail and at the other end is a cache that is not only missing but the owner hasn't logged in for over a year. What I would like to do is adopt the cache and place a new container (avoid it being archived) at the corrodinates. Its on a short trail (about a kilometer long) and this would make it so there was a cache at either end of the trail.

Just wondering if it can be done and if so who would I contact to do it.

Thanks

I just placed a cache along a trail and at the other end is a cache that is not only missing but the owner hasn't logged in for over a year. What I would like to do is adopt the cache and place a new container (avoid it being archived) at the corrodinates. Its on a short trail (about a kilometer long) and this would make it so there was a cache at either end of the trail.

Just wondering if it can be done and if so who would I contact to do it.

Thanks

Why not just replace the container and let it remain as an active cache?

From what I understand from another thread, abandoned caches should be archived. That being said, there are some caches which have escaped this. Now that it has brought to attention, it will most likely be archived.

OOPS, well now I will know for next time :D

And thanks Tequila; I didn't think of that and that would work all the same. The point was to keep it from archiving more than change of ownership.

SSSSHH, I think a Lock n Lock might fall out of my pocket next time I try for that cache :blink:

If the cache is actually missing, by dropping another one in its place is only preserving the listing on this site, the actual cache is gone and as such, the listing should be archived to preserve the history. Further, by just dropping another replacement cache in place of an abandoned, unmaintained cache, you are just setting out another abandoned, unmaintained cache there. If you plan on maintaining the cache, you should submit your own cache listing there.

There is a time to allow a listing to be archived, possibly permitting newer cachers to hide a new cache in a fresh new way, if the location is truly worth a visit, someone will hide a new cache there.

From what I understand from another thread, abandoned caches should be archived. That being said, there are some caches which have escaped this. Now that it has brought to attention, it will most likely be archived.

OOPS, well now I will know for next time :)

And thanks Tequila; I didn't think of that and that would work all the same. The point was to keep it from archiving more than change of ownership.

SSSSHH, I think a Lock n Lock might fall out of my pocket next time I try for that cache :rolleyes:

Wasn't very difficult to figure out, seeing as you have only two hides, and Cache Tech disabled the one in question. Yes, it's quite a classic there, placed in 2001, by someone with 1 find and 3 hides (the other two in Newfoundland) who never even validated his account. It will almost surely be archived now, I'd go with the "tribute cache" placed by yourself.

I'd never replace a missing cache, although I did once replace a cracked container with new lock-n-lock. Probably shouldn't have done that. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I guess It doesn't matter Imagine that. I wonder if I can get that lock-n-lock back? :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I really wasn't going to comment but there was something that I felt needed to be added.

Based on what it says in the listing guidelines, there are only two physical things required for each and every cache. A container and a logbook. For argument sake let's call those key-components. The rest is optional and determined by the cache placer (note that I did not say owner) apart from some 'off-limits' trade items.

Why do I mention that? Well, if those are the minimum things needed to start up a cache then they are also the ones that constitute a cache remaining active. Sure, if you see the logbook is full so you add another one then that is a nice thing to do. If there is water inside and you dry it up, kudos to you.

Here, however, is stuff that is strictly for the cache owner (note this time I did say owner).

Replacing the container - this is an owner function because the container belongs to them, and no one else.

Replacing the logbook - same as the container. Adding another is different, leave any existing ones in place.

Relocating the container - you can't update the coordinates as you don't have the needed site permissions.

Removing "Needs Maintenance" icons - Since the cache owner is responsible for repairing their cache, they must be the ones to clear the icons. Reviewers may do this, but I prefer not to. I'd rather teach them how.

If you want to assume ownership of a cache, then contact the cache owner to have them adopt it to you. Really though, with only a few extreme cases, no cache lives forever. No cache is so important that it can't be archived and if it is then the history will always be there. If the location is that great, another cache will fill the void, and everyone gets to revisit.

When you think about why you would want to adopt/replace a cache that appears abandoned you should also think about how the general area has been affected, if a new cache would be more of a benefit, and if the area has become stagnant.

The cache has been disabled, and I have tried to message the owner a couple times to inform him that the cache is missing and no response.

I really enjoy the caches that require bushwacking and this one was very enjoyable since it wasn't a straight in bushwack.

The end of the day I made it to the location regardless of a log book to prove it and really, its getting there that draws me to this hobby. And the trinkets inside is what draws in my kids. And this one I did solo (well the furry one was with me) so it was a win.

And now I walk away with more knowledge than I came with. Thanks Everyone.

Cheers