Which GPS should I buy?

I have only used these two:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtp...p?section=10460

They are both excellent for geocaching. I never felt that the failure to find a cache was due to a lack of capability of either.

A number of folks here are favoring paperless geocaching. Both of these models will provide a paperless geocaching experience right out of the box - no other hardware or software to aquire.

They are both excellent for geocaching. I never felt that the failure to find a cache was due to a lack of capability of either.

A number of folks here are favoring paperless geocaching. Both of these models will provide a paperless geocaching experience right out of the box - no other hardware or software to aquire.

thanks for the feedback.

Edited by magicman/sewjourner

They will also do turn-by-turn autorouting right out of the box with the included street-level maps, while Garmins require you to buy another software suite for about $100 to do that.

Don't forget about Garmin's 60CSX. Yes, you have to buy maps but I don't know of any cacher who regrets purchasing it.

I consider it the standard GPSr of Geocachers. Much loved, well used and well tested. It's proven to be a great GPSr for me.

thanks for your advice

would you consider this GPS paperless. I know some units can download 500 caches at a time. can this one do that?

would you consider this GPS paperless. I know some units can download 500 caches at a time. can this one do that?

It depends on your definition of paperless. Apparently (meaning : I read it here, no firsthand experience) the 60 CSx can store 100 characters in the waypoint notes. Might be enough if you read through each waypoint and summarize the clues and hints, but not enough to just dump a bunch of waypoints into the unit and go. This is way better than the 30 characters on my eTrex Venture HC, but not exactly a lot more.

To some, paperless extends to logging the find on the unit itself then having the website updated. I haven't found so many caches in a single day (yet?) that I find this necessary, but having to search out the caches again in order to log them can be annoying.

If you just want an easy way of uploading waypoints to the unit without typing it in, nothing beats the "Send to GPS" plugin for Garmin units. For more than a few caches you'd will want to use GSAK or similar app.

The most basic Garmin units store 500 waypoints. The 60CSx can store 1000 waypoints.

Edited by Chrysalides

No, I wouldn't consider using only the 60CSX as going paperless. Most paperless cachers use a PDA alongside the GPSr. There is a workaround using POI Loader that you can get up to 99 characters of a hint. (More than enough for most hints.) You can mark caches as "found" in the 60CSX so that you know what ones you found and in what order you found them. (For logging when you get back home.)

The 60CSX will hold up to 1000 caches as Geocaches. I have been told (but have not yet tested this) that using POI Loader and loading the caches as waypoints allows as many to be stores as there is available memory. (Again, I have not tried it.)

There are pros and cons to using POI Loader and having loaded the caches as Geocaches. I do both. The more information I have, the better!

I have also just started and after reading numerous posts purchased the Venture HC (119.00 and free shiping Amazon.com) Started using it the next day and have found it to be easy to use and download information to.

Wow.. Amazon's price for the Venture HC seems to be creeping up the last week. Glad I got mine when I did.

I have also just started and after reading numerous posts purchased the Venture HC (119.00 and free shiping Amazon.com) Started using it the next day and have found it to be easy to use and download information to.

Wow.. Amazon's price for the Venture HC seems to be creeping up the last week. Glad I got mine when I did.

The price is going up, $127.00 today.

Perhaps all the information above regarding paperless caching might be reviewed relative to this new information:

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocach...the-mac-and-pc/

Thanks for the link. Very nice stuff that is being worked on. Unfortunately they're still work in progress at this point. Worth revisiting in a few months.

They are hoping to have them out before Christmas.

I was just going to mention that too. Makes me that more happy about my PN-20 that is on it's way. Already more valuable to me than when I purchased. :D

Another vote for Delorme. Great FREE maps: check. $30 subscription to unlimited images: check. Paperless: check. Durable: check. Accurate: check. Idiot-proof: check.

I have a couple PN-20's; as soon as I lose, break, or give them away, I'll get a 40. The only downside (of the 20) is that you have to go into Topo7 to edit the comments, because the GPS will only save the first 800 or so characters, and you thus lose all the good stuff.

The only downside (of the 20) is that you have to go into Topo7 to edit the comments, because the GPS will only save the first 800 or so characters, and you thus lose all the good stuff.

Not for much longer. Going to do away with the 800 character limit on the above mentioned firmware update! I guess they do not have a downside after that! :)

per the Delorme blog, the new widget that they are working on that is due out before the holidays will enable you to decide what information you want included in the geocaching specific firmware update they are working on. logs, full description, hints, cache size, owner, etc. You will also have the ability to organize the order that this information will be displayed. I have an explorist that hasn't been out of the closet for over a year since i bought my PN-20. There is nothing wrong with the unit and I loved it. Now I am debating about parting ways with my 20 and even the explorist in order to purchase the 40.