Best pda software

andytus

In my not-so-humble opinion, that largely depends on exactly what it is you wanta do with it, geocachingwise.

Even with all the stuff there is out there, what I took to doing is just saving the cache-page as text-only into a folder; hook my iPAQ up to its docking cradle, which fires up ActiveSync, then just drag the folder over to the iPAQ.

I do decrypt the hint before saving the page....and if the last 4 logs don't tell much I usually expand to the others -- both before saving as text, naturally.

When afield, if I need a reference I just open the file & read it. You don't see graphics (meaning there's a good bit o' easily overpassed text garbage....but you CAN edit that out if you really feel the need - I don't)....and the only thing that doesn't provide is the stars for the diff/terr ratings, which I usually remember from reading, OR, I can edit them into the text file before sliding them over to the iPAQ.

It's not as fully functional as some (instant online logging, etc.) but I can do that anytime after I get back home, & much faster on the laptop anyway.....so no big loss there. I can however add whatever notes I want for later reference, while still afield.

Basically, a sort of plain-Jane form of paperless caching.....but works for me. And with a very low learning curve!

My ladyfriend likes Cachemate....fwiw.

~*

For Windows Mobile, check out GPXview or GPXSonar. I believe GPXView is the free one and works well for an on the go cache database. GPXSonar is a bit better, but issues not displaying caches sometimes unless you 'correct' the data in GSAK first.

I haven't tried Cachemate on windows mobile yet, but that was what I used on my Treo650.

Another option if you have a built in GPS on your Phone/PDA is GeoScout.

So, GPXView, GPXSonar, Cachemate, GeoScout, and another I just thought of called BeelineGPS.

You'll have to try a couple and see which you prefer.

I'm new to all this, but I've had a great time using CacheMate and Garmin Mobile XT on my Windows Mobile equipped Blackjack 2 cellphone (integrated gps!). The CacheMate developer offers a plugin that marries CacheMate with Garmin XT allowing me to send cache coords straight to Garmin.

I've found CacheMate very easy to use and well worth the $10. After compiling a database of many caches in my area, I'm always equipped with everything I need to cache while on random outings. My favorite feature is being able to sort caches by distance from my current location.

I've yet to use GSAK, but from what I understand I can export the caches that I've logged in CacheMate and it will automatically update the geocaching.com logs. I'm going to be playing with this soon.

Within minutes of using CacheMate, I had 500 entries loaded on my phone in a conveniently sortable database. I shudder at the thought of doing that with individual txt files.

If all you're doing is storing cache info, then Cachemate will get the most votes.

If you're in the USA, I recommend BackCountryNavigator along with a bluetooth GPS receiver. You can download topo maps (down to 1:24k resolution) and aerial photos (1:6k resolution in rural areas and 1:1.5k resolution color in some urban areas). Import GPX files to take you right to the cache. Even if you don't use the GPS features of the programs you'll have the cache locations superimposed over a map of the area.

If you're outside the USA then BeeLineGPS will do everything better than BCN EXCEPT you can't download maps.

IMHO, Cachemate isn't hard to learn at all. When I first downloaded it and fired it up, I had less than 200 caches. Nobody could really help me and I just fiddled around with it. I had it figured out that same evening and hit the ground running.

Of course, Cachemate isn't any good if you don't have GSAK to export the database. I think GSAK takes a little more work. You can figure out the basic stuff pretty easily though and when you're comfortable with it move on to the harder macros and such.

I have a windows mobile 6 pda. I was wondering what the opinion was on gps software. So, What is the best?

GPX Sonar. Copy the GPX to the PDA. Done.

You can then use GPXSonar to export waypoints to whatever mapping program you use on your PDA if and when you are ready to do that. Or you can skip it because you have maps on your GPS.

Haven't used Cachemage. Do use GSAK, but haven't yet tackled the learning curve to force it to work the way I'd like it to work (which is to say, I don't want a database of stale cache data, but I do want t slice and dice the current GPX data set I'm working with).

...Of course, Cachemate isn't any good if you don't have GSAK to export the database...

know some who would disagree with you here. You can take your PQ files and import them directly into CacheMate on a Windows Mobile device without using GSAK to manage a database on your PC. I know at least one person who clears their CahcheMate database on their PDA and just loads in the PQ data before they go out. They don't bother keeping a large history around, but then in doing things this way, they also don't need to use GSAK on their PC.

I don't remember of GPX importing is built into CacheMate on the Windows Mobile platform, or if it is a free plug-in download, but it is an option.

I personally do use GSAK to manage a local database, but it isn't necessary if all you want it a copy of the cache data to go with the caches in your current PQ.

...Of course, Cachemate isn't any good if you don't have GSAK to export the database...

know some who would disagree with you here. You can take your PQ files and import them directly into CacheMate on a Windows Mobile device without using GSAK to manage a database on your PC.

Yep, I am one who would disagree with the original statement. I use GSAK on my laptop to filter caches before they go to my GPSr, but the data that goes into Cachemate is simply my downloaded Pocket Query. You don't need GSAK for Cachemate in any way, shape, or form.

What about actual gps software that alloows you to use your pda/smartphone/what-have-you as a gpsr?

I have been trying vitosoft's navigator II but it seems off when I compare it to my eXplorer 500le, not sure which is inaccurate atm lol.

I bought a Garmin GPS 10x, and that came with a copy of MobileXT, as well as City Navigator 2008 NT. I use those with my PDA for street routing, and it seems quite accurate.