Unusual Geocaching Questions!

Inmountains

We have all seen on here the many common questions such as who has the most finds, most hides, most in a day, how far a TB has traveled, etc.. But I would like to ask some questions that I have not seen on here. They may have been asked, so I apologize in advance if they have already been asked.

1. What is the furthest distance between two finds that you have made in ONE day (walking only)?

2. What is the furthest distance between two finds that you have made in ONE day (driving)?

3. What is the furthest distance between two finds that you have made in ONE day (flying)?

4. How many caches have you found while NOT geocaching, meaning no GPS, no notes?

5. What is the most states that you have found a geocache in one day? I suspect the NE area.

6. What is the MOST times you have gone back to try and find a cache the owner said was there? 4 for me.

7. What is the LONGEST you have ever stayed at one cache trying to find it? 3 hours for me.

I may think of more but these seem like fun!

1. What is the furthest distance between two finds that you have made in ONE day (walking only)?

About 10 miles

2. What is the furthest distance between two finds that you have made in ONE day (driving)?

I have no idea

3. What is the furthest distance between two finds that you have made in ONE day (flying)?

Don't think I've ever found caches in two places on a day I flew somewhere

4. How many caches have you found while NOT geocaching, meaning no GPS, no notes?

Found a few without GPS but never one without maps/notes

5. What is the most states that you have found a geocache in one day? I suspect the NE area.

Two on a number of occasions. PA and NY (a few times) NJ and NY, NY and VT, CT and MA

6. What is the MOST times you have gone back to try and find a cache the owner said was there?
Six. Never did find it.

7. What is the LONGEST you have ever stayed at one cache trying to find it?

About an hour and a half

9 miles

about 900 Nashville to Miami

about 3500 UK to NY

3 or 4

5 States and DC a couple of Thanksgivings ago. VA, MD, PA, DE, NJ and the District of Columbia, including an APE cache. We nearly made a run to WV to make it six, but the in-laws had dinner ready.

6. What is the MOST times you have gone back to try and find a cache the owner said was there?

7. What is the LONGEST you have ever stayed at one cache trying to find it? 3 hours for me.

Interesting questions... I enjoy breaking my stats down in new and unique ways, so I've already previously put some thought into a few these.

about 4 miles (8 round trip), but I'll have to check

730 miles, give or take, between Watertown, SD and St Louis, MO

3,960 miles between This cache in Minnesota and This one in Hawaii. These two were also my "greatest temperature difference between two cache finds in a single day": from +6 degrees F to almost 80.

Two. Actually, one of them somebody else found and told me about. Another one, I thought "that guardrail looks like a good place to hide a cache..." and there was one there!

Six, in this order: SC, NC, TN, GA, AL, MS

6. What is the MOST times you have gone back to try and find a cache the owner said was there? 4 for me.

4 times, then it went on the ignore list. It was a needle in a haystack nano hidden with no reference points.

About an hour.

Couldn't be more than a mile. If I think of anything better, I'll edit the post.

I'll say about 250 miles (as the crow flies, cache to cache distance).

I don't believe I've found any caches in two places on a flying day. Too busy checking into the airport and stuff.

Hasn't happened yet. Plenty of letterboxes though. :grin:

Not really New England, but NY, PA and NJ once, and NY, PA and Ohio once. So Three.

I'll say 4. I tend to give up after that. :)

Never more than an hour. Just did 45 minutes last weekend.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

12 miles

450 to 500 miles

Are you talking about A geocache or geocaches? If it is the latter then 2.

6 and I finally found it.

30 to 45 minutes

Edited by DoctorWho

about 2 miles

about 325 Ft. Payne, AL, to Hattisburg, MS

I've cached on days where I flew, but not at both ends of the flight

If you mean remembering that a cache is in an area and trying to find it cold, then one. If you mean just walking around and tripping over one, then zero.

Four: NC, SC, GA, TN

5 (still not found)

A little less than 2 hours

We have all seen on here the many common questions such as who has the most finds, most hides, most in a day, how far a TB has traveled, etc.. But I would like to ask some questions that I have not seen on here. They may have been asked, so I apologize in advance if they have already been asked.

1. Probably about a mile or two.

2. Never, don't drive

3. Never

4. I don't have a GPS, so all of them, but I usually do paperless caching via a handheld, so none.

5. Just one: NJ.

6. Twice, going to be three times next week when I go back to find a pesky local cache.

7. An hour or more.

Hope that helps!

3 or 4 miles

about 600 miles

Hasn't happened yet

17 hours total for a single urban micro (in multiple trips)

5 hours (in one trip)

I'm not sure what you mean here? I've found a several from the title or description, but I was hunting them. I just didn't have any gps with me. This one I'd seen the cache come up, and knew from the title roughly where it was. I was fairly near it, no gps, thought I'd walk in and hunt it.

I once found a cache on a hunch, seeing on a Saturday morning that a certain cacher had just beat me to FTF on several hides, I figured he'd leave some caches behind. Hunted in one place that reminded me of his hide style, and found a cache that he hadn't even gotten home and written up yet.

Last week I found a cache while looking for a place to put a stage of my multi-cache. That hide was never published - after doing some research on this site, I'm fairly certain I know who hid it.

I stumbled upon a terracache.

I've found 4 letterboxes that I wasn't hunting.

I found a OYR just figuring that there'd be one (hide on the porch of a Cracker Barrel Restaurant).

I've found a couple of urban micros just remembering the title and trying the obvious spot.

I found a multi-cache once without using my gps. I was at the parking, trying to decide if I had time to do the cache - was walking around, waiting for the gps to find a lock, and had a hunch. Checked a spot, found cache.

I'm not certain, but I'd guess I was 3 or 4 hours

"Interesting questions... "

I disagree.

These are what I tend to think of as "'Favorite Color' questions" - such as, "What's your favorite movie?"

In a 2-person dialog, interesting perhaps as a conversation point of reference.

But in fora such as this? Why!?! As in, who will remember my answers tomorrow? What do we learn?

As opposed to, e.g., the question about "favorite pens".....in which considerable info of applicable (directly!) value is available.

Now, I realize "one man's dross is another man's pleasure" & wouldn't dream of stopping your version of "fun"....but insofar as this type of question, that's why I practically never bother participating. High drivel factor. Space & time waster.

Just sayin'...

~*

1. Probably a couple of miles.

2 250 miles or so. The first was in Maine and the last in Vermont.

3. About 700 miles. One was on the way to the airport in Syracuse, NY and then found several in St. Paul, MN after I landed.

4. none that I can think of, though I have found a couple letterboxes

5, Three. Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

6. I think 6-7 but I eventually found it. It was moved once about 100' and I DNFd several times on it in both spots.

7. About 2 hours, but I spent close to 3 1/2 hours searching for one that I eventually found after four attempts. (It's rare that I get to spend more than 3 hours continuously geocaching). I've only had one day that I was able to spend more than 6 hours actively looking for caches.

8 miles.
200 miles, as the crow flies. Dunno how far we drove...
Zero.

One, I found while leading a hike before I knew about geocaching. Read the "Do Not Disturb, Official Geocache" on the outside and did just that. It wasn't until a few months later that I was officially introduced to the game.

The second, I was driving a busload of seniors for a retreat and we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch. I had been talking with a few about caching, and as we sat on the porch waiting for others to finish, I mentioned that there was likely a cache very close by. I leaned forward, and suddenly, there it was, peeking out from under something at me! Other than knowing that (at the time) CB welcomed caches, I had no prior knowledge of the cache.

2 (Utah/Arizona, Maine/New Hampshire, NH/Massachusetts)
1.5 hours. Then, the guy I was caching with found he'd lost his keys. We set a cache to tell the whole story. Edited by Too Tall John

4 miles (over 8 round trip). before i had a truck, i had to walk for any caches in the AZ desert

nearly 1000 miles... Started in with one in NM, got a cache in TX, then OK, and finished near Kansas City, KS

haven't yet, but will on my honeymoon next year :blink:

hasn't happened yet

4 NM, TX, OK, KS

i also had a day of finding a cache in AZ, CA, and Mexico

3. then felt really stupid when i finally found it

2 hours in the middle of the night in the middle of the desert. turned out to be nearly 65 feet from the landmark that was given.

Edited by uws22

1. 10 miles on foot.

2. 338 miles by road.

3. 397 miles as the crow flies.

4. 6.

5. 5 WV, MD, VA, DC, DE.

6. 11 times and it was there.

7. About four hours.

- Rev Mike

I found a OYR just figuring that there'd be one (hide on the porch of a Cracker Barrel Restaurant).

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I don't think I've ever used a GPSr for an OYR cache. More of a, "Hey, it's a Cracker Barrel. Bet there's a hide-a-key stuck to an antique washing machine over there". More often than not, there has been.

I disagree.

These are what I tend to think of as "'Favorite Color' questions" - such as, "What's your favorite movie?"

But in fora such as this? Why!?! As in, who will remember my answers tomorrow? What do we learn?

As opposed to, e.g., the question about "favorite pens".....in which considerable info of applicable (directly!) value is available.

Now, I realize "one man's dross is another man's pleasure" & wouldn't dream of stopping your version of "fun"....but insofar as this type of question, that's why I practically never bother participating. High drivel factor. Space & time waster.

Just sayin'...

~*

Dude, you post to the wrong thread? :D

I disagree.

Just sayin'...

~*

Dude, you post to the wrong thread? :blink:

Dude, you unnerstand English? :D

~*

I disagree.

Just sayin'...

~*

Dude, you post to the wrong thread? :blink:

Dude, you unnerstand English? :D

~*

The real question is, can you SPELL in English? "Dude, you unnerstand English?"

I will remember a LOT of the answers here. For the under privileged in the IQ department, these types of questions are called "Conversational Creating" questions. Since Geocaching.com posts how many finds, how many hides, when you joined, it would be rather redundant to ask "How many finds do you have?" or "How many caches have you hidden?" or "How long have you been caching?" Now these questions are fine IN THE FIELD but on here, it would be like calling someone on the phone and asking what their phone number is.

If you do not want to answer the questions, that is fine but feeling the need to dis someone for asking a question shows you need more excitement in your life. Why not just IGNORE the thread and move one?

Another question which I know has been covered before is "What is the most unusual thing that happened to you while geocaching? For me, I went to place a cache and there was already a cache there, UNPUBLISHED. This may be common in the big city, but out here in the boonies where we average less than one cache per square mile, this is highly unusual. Come to find out, the cache was placed by someone on vacation and they could not get it approved as they lived to far away from the cache. So I adopted it. What a great hobby/sport!

I disagree.

Just sayin'...

~*

Dude, you post to the wrong thread? :ph34r:

Dude, you unnerstand English? :blink:

~*

Nope, sorry, still not with you. Does this mean you don't like the thread? :D

6 1/2 miles and about 1800 feet elevation difference.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/sgbofav/1100-Trip.jpg

325 miles on my way home from Geowoodstock 6.

Map

One or two.

4 times

About an hour.

Edited by Kit Fox

I disagree.

Just sayin'...

~*

Dude, you post to the wrong thread? :ph34r:

Dude, you unnerstand English? :blink:

~*

Nope, sorry, still not with you. Does this mean you don't like the thread? :D

*LMAO* Nope - not at all.

Try again.

Just sayin'....

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

5 to 10 miles maybe.

610 miles (GCWNTB and GCHDDY on 3/27/07)

4,800 miles: GC13J2Q and GC4192 on 6/16/2007

5 States: VA, NC, SC, GA, AL (3/27/07)

I usually stop counting after the third time.

I usually give up after 30 minutes.

around 16 miles

950 or so

About 1700 miles (Illinois to California

I think this is 0, however have found 3 with no GPS and did not take notes with me but looked at the maps prior to going out so I WAS geocaching.

5. What is the most states that you have found a geocache in one day?

I believe 5

There are one or two that I can honestly say dozens.

45 min to an hour

Probably two or three miles

About 150 miles.

Stopped flying when they make me take my shoes off.

Though, my brother finished the Maine DeLorme Challenge at 4 AM, flew home to Seattle, and found a cache in Washington the same day. 2484 miles.

None

Three. New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland in one instance. Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine at another time. Could have found one in New Jersey, and another in New York, along the route, if we had wanted to. But the objective was to get to Maine. Maybe on the next trip to Maine, I'll find one each in NJ, NY, CT, MA, Vt, NH and ME. Doable if I really wanted to.

Three, I think. Give up when I stop having fun.

When I stop having fun (and searched eveywhere I could think of): I'd guess 45 minutes max.