have always been polite in trade requests and this post is not

directed at one person in particular. But I am seeing a trend lately

on the forums and have been on the receiving end of a few of those

begging emails too. Just wondering what others thought and are they

experiencing the same thing?? Or am I being unusually sensitive and

should I crawl back to my little block of ice and just float happily

by??

Have you seen this thread ?

I've never understood the begging for coins, either.

To your exact question - I've received a number of trade requests for my personal coin over the years and always politely decline and explain that I don't trade and only leave them in caches. I've never received a nasty reply or had to deal with anything like what you've described.

In short, a simple request to trade is OK. Anything beyond that is too far.

Just wondering what the general consensus is out there about people

begging for geocoins and emailing other cachers for their personal

coins? I know there are lots of coins that I'd like to have or get and

I am sure I have posted once or twice about wanting such and such a

coin. But I don't believe I have gone to the extent of emailing people

begging (almost harassing) and making them feel guilty or explaining

what hardship that I am having just to try and get a coin. I think I

have always been polite in trade requests and this post is not

directed at one person in particular. But I am seeing a trend lately

on the forums and have been on the receiving end of a few of those

begging emails too. Just wondering what others thought and are they

experiencing the same thing?? Or am I being unusually sensitive and

should I crawl back to my little block of ice and just float happily

by??

it's gross, and completely out of hand. It's why I rarely post anything coin related anymore, so I don't have to deal with it :)

Have you seen this thread ?

I've never understood the begging for coins, either.

To your exact question - I've received a number of trade requests for my personal coin over the years and always politely decline and explain that I don't trade and only leave them in caches. I've never received a nasty reply or had to deal with anything like what you've described.

In short, a simple request to trade is OK. Anything beyond that is too far.

I admit to having posted in that thread so maybe I am guilty of my own complaint? Food for thought.

Yes - to a trade.

No - to a gift request.

Yes - to a mission.

No - to "Can I have it for nothing". Hey I buy at USD prices in NZD. almost double the listed price. Add on US postal rates. My income is in NZD. Based on a 30 hour week. Go figure!

I am blown away when I get a little extra in trades, but wonder sometimes if it is expected of me to be so generous to others.

Time is the asset I use best. And No is a word that I am learning to say.

Do those who beg, get the item, say thank you and then disappear?

I wonder.

I have noticed that there are a lot of new people to the forums (or what I would consider a lot) that come on, post that they are new and that they can't afford coins (or they want to give a certain coin to someone or they had a bad day or whatever) and literally ASK for people to send them free coins! I am surprised that people respond to this! Especially since so many of them just drift off and never return to the forum again. This might sound harsh but if you don't have any money, geocoin collecting MAY not be for you...is there an eye roll smilie...oh there it is... :)

I also cringe when another mystery coin surfaces...I think it is a very cool concept and think it is wonderful for someone to be so generous...but the implied begging on some of those threads...wow.

I think in general, it is in poor taste to ask people to send you something for free unless it is offered.

If people are emailing you through the geocaching.com system, and you have already told them no, you don't have a trade, or coin for sale, and they continue to email you through the system, it is abuse, or spamming, and it can be stopped. If you have posted your email address publicly, or given someone your email address, then I'm afraid you have brought this upon yourself. Anyone who is pestering over and over again needs to be told frankly and in no uncertain terms that you do not want to continue to be contacted, period, end of story. Pestering someone over and over after you've been told "No" is harrassment, and shouldn't be tolerated, and you should block their email from your email server. Pestering, or begging, can also turn people off so much they won't ever want to deal with the pesterer, so it's a very bad practice. Please don't do it, and you are not allowed to do it using the geocaching.com system. Groundspeak doesn't tolerate spamming using their system.

Thank you,

Eartha

I think that "Hearts desire" thread is ok as long as you don't ask or beg for someone to give one to you. What's the difference between that thread and a wanted list on any of the coin tracking sites? As long as you offer up something for trade, coin or cash, then it's ok in my book. Although I don't get asked or begged for coins, it does get annoying seeing all the other posts where someone does. I think as geocoins/geocaching becomes more popular there will be more of it happening, especially if someone thinks they can get something for free and turn around and sell it on ebay for profit. I'm also annoyed by someone who started caching last week and already has minted a coin or two and trying to sell them. I like to think of geocoins/geocaching as a hobby, but there's always someone out there looking for a quick buck.

Just my .02

I think that "Hearts desire" thread is ok as long as you don't ask or beg for someone to give one to you. What's the difference between that thread and a wanted list on any of the coin tracking sites? As long as you offer up something for trade, coin or cash, then it's ok in my book. Although I don't get asked or begged for coins, it does get annoying seeing all the other posts where someone does. I think as geocoins/geocaching becomes more popular there will be more of it happening, especially if someone thinks they can get something for free and turn around and sell it on ebay for profit. I'm also annoyed by someone who started caching last week and already has minted a coin or two and trying to sell them. I like to think of geocoins/geocaching as a hobby, but there's always someone out there looking for a quick buck.

Just my .02

i have to agree with you, rifleman, i look at the heart's desire thread as an intense request for a trade, not a plea for a gift.

gifted coins make me uncomfortable and i HAVE to find something on the person's seeking list to return the gift.

Now, i do NOT expect people that i gift coins to do the same. i like giving away coins. i know, double standard blah blah blah.

what is not fun is to gift a coin and not get an email saying it arrived, at least!

at the same time, if you have a personal coin that is listed "for trade" and someone writes you suggesting a trade, especially if they have a coin on your seeking list, please PLEASE have the common courtesy to write that person back, even if declining.

that seems to be a no brainer but sheesh, it is as if some folks have gotten bigger than their britches.

right on chantal!

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I admit to having posted in that thread so maybe I am guilty of my own complaint? Food for thought.

I actually don't mind the Hearts Desire thread for a couple of reasons...1. as a relative newbie myself, I can see really neat interesting coins that I didn't know existed. 2. When participating in a mission, I can search it and see what my recipient likes (I usually can't get a hearts desire coin but maybe I can figure out their "coin collecting style"). I just try to look past those that are over the top in their request for someone to fulfill their desire.

I must admit, I have emailed a couple of people asking for information on a coin or if they knew where I could get such and such a coin...hope they weren't thinking I was asking for a freebie. :)

I don't have a problem with the heart's desire thread, either, especially if it's just mentioning a coin that you'd love to have once and leaving it at that.

It's the repeated begging, often with a hardship story attached, that is irritating. It's a turn off on the person, too.

I will admit that I have, in the past, sent a pm/email asking if there was some way to arrange a trade because I didn't have the funds to purchase a particular coin, but it was few and far between. I don't make it any secret that we're pretty much dirt poor, but I also try hard to not beg for a coin, even when I'm dying for it, lol!

If I ever do beg, someone come by and knock me upside the head and tell me to remember my manners!

FOR THE RECORD....

Because my money IS low I have very, very few trading coins. The coins that I do for Jim I have him sell all of my share except for one complete set for me, and the ones that I did for Oakcoins I either put on Ebay or I used for missions. My personal ones of the cat I received only 12 of, I sold the rest of them. So... I really don't have many traders at all!

Naomi

I make it a point to ask a person for a trade only once. If they are not interested, I just let it go. But I have ran into every situation listed above. It is amazing.

I also got some kind of blanket mailer asking for another free coin since I donate one on a mission. But it wasn't even the same person who had the mission.

The begging is kind of gross, but I liked the hearts desire thread at first because it seemed more like a question of "what one coin would complete your collection" rather than "what do i want to beg for today" Also it was quite helpful for a mission where I got someone with no trade list :)

It was really wonderful to see people fulfilling other's hearts desires, just to make someones day. I didn't think of posting implying begging at all; but after awhile it started to seem like people would beg until they got something and then beg for something else. I don't really go into the thread that often anymore.

I can't imagine emailing someone to beg for a gift.

I would hope this is not directed towards us. We almost always never excpect anything for free. We offer trades all the time with people, We would hate if anyone thinks we are harrasing them.. If anyone has a issue with us in particular we would hope they would come to us.

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

Oh where to start, lol.

Hence why I don't post as much...

Quit running contests...

Quit making tsun versions of coins minus event versions...

Quit trading as much as I used to...

Don't post in mystery coin threads unless I receive the coin...

and the list goes on... it's very frustrating.

To be very blunt and honest, I don't honestly believe that many people see themselves as begging.

It's often tough to look at our own actions and see what it is we are truly portraying to others.

We love reading the heart desires and we love seeing people having a better day of receiving a coin they received in the mail. When we see people being happy that makes us more happier. We once in awhile post in heart desire. We both just feel terrible that this had to be brought up in the forums and just so to say if anyone has a problem with us to please contact us. We would like to say were sorry. This hits close to our hearts...don't know how to feel right now.

i have to agree with you, rifleman, i look at the heart's desire thread as an intense request for a trade, not a plea for a gift.

I guess I would disagree. I like the intent of the Heart Desire thread and how it all started out but it's turned into a request for free coins. If it was a request for a trade, people could post in the trade thread. Even if it was merely a post stating a hearts desire it wouldn't be so bad...but boy, there is some obvious begging for free coins going on in that thread which can't be denied.

I haven't been involved in this forum for all that long but I used to wonder why some of the 'old timers' didn't come around much anymore. I can say that I can somewhat understand now...after some of the emails, "offers" and requests I got it really did turn me off a bit.

and to anyone that has emailed me recently for trade requests....it's not you I'm talking about :) I'm okay with legitimate trade requests..

I guess I would disagree. I like the intent of the Heart Desire thread and how it all started out but it's turned into a request for free coins. If it was a request for a trade, people could post in the trade thread. Even if it was merely a post stating a hearts desire it wouldn't be so bad...but boy, there is some obvious begging for free coins going on in that thread which can't be denied.

I haven't been involved in this forum for all that long but I used to wonder why some of the 'old timers' didn't come around much anymore. I can say that I can somewhat understand now...after some of the emails, "offers" and requests I got it really did turn me off a bit.

and to anyone that has emailed me recently for trade requests....it's not you I'm talking about :grin: I'm okay with legitimate trade requests..

Wow. We've never exchanged a word that I know of, and yet you're already in my head. Nicely worded. :)

TMA

Wow. I've been in these forums for a couple years now and don't post as much as others (more of a lurker) but I have to say that I can't understand ASKING FOR A GIFT. Not really a gift is it... IMHO

Anyway, I thought I would put a note in here to others lurking around that I personally (I'm sure others too) welcome emails for trades. Why would I put effort in to a coin hoping others desire it if I didn't want to trade it or sell it? If all you have to trade for a coin is money then fine :). I prefer geocoin, but coin coin is good too! I have gifted coins to others (some in this thread even) and traded with many many more (some in this thread as well).

There are some bitter posts here, I just wanted to stress that I hope readers don't see it as a "never ask for someone's coin under any circumstances" type thread.

Edited by scavok

Before this gets all twisted. I thought this post was about excessive email, even after an offer had been declined? The ones who persist on sending emails with new offers.

I have given away coins and at times, and I have thought nothing of it.

Case in point, I had a cacher order two coins and I sent the third for free to complete the set. Other times I have paid for overnight shipping to get a coin to a cacher before Father's day, Christmas, and even Valentine's Day, and not once have I ever asked for more shipping. I can relate to those people.

It's fine to ask for a trade in my book, just don't be excessive.

I think it has gone too far. I have posted in the heart's desire thread once as it was fun and it was nice to see my own coin in there once. But has really become a drag when you come online or get emails about how someone is poor and they can't afford coins or they need someone to donate a coin to someone to raise money. Yet when times are tough there is no hand out from that person.

Just to go off a little, everyone has a bad day, get over it. I have bad days 5 days a week but I don't feel I need to come on here give my sob story so perhaps you will send me a coin to make me feel better.

I also dislike mystery coins and rarely if ever post in the threads. Begging for the fairy to visit your home is really annoying. If the fairy or cowboy or whoever the mystery person is wanted you to have the coin they would. What happened to finding coins in caches instead of the mail box. It was a lot of fun when you saw someone find a geocoin that wasn't a regular in the forums or didn't have three of the same mystery coin.

Sweetlife, I have received emails from you for trades but NEVER felt that they were a problem or you were harassing me.

Is it Five O'clock somewhere?

I just reread PengoFamily's original post and it's not clear to me whether what is being referenced is someone asking for a free coin or asking and asking and asking and asking for a trade. Either situation isn't too cool in my books.

I would have to say that if I was approached for a trade and I politely declined and was approached again with a new offer, I wouldn't mind. It's a kind of negotiation. I guess I wouldn't like the same offer being emailed to me countless times hoping to wear me down.

I think trading is great fun! And how else do you do it but contact people by email? I think as long as you are polite and respectful, there's no worries.

i agree with many of you in here. i wouldnt dream of messaging someone privately or publicly begging to be given a free coin. yes i have sometime posted in the hearts desire thread, but at the end of the day its up to all readers to decide whether to grant that wish or not. so far i have been unable to reciprocate to those particular individuals who have been very nice to do that, but i always try to pay it forward in someway.

as for the mystery coins, again there are those who do try to get themselves noticed in the hope of getting one, but again, the choice of giving those coins is up to the mystery coin givers and i like many on here do respect that deeply.

the sad thing is, no matter what the website or community, there will always be people trying to get something for nothing, and if we do recieve contact from these freeloaders, i think we should try to educate them on what this community really is about.

this discussion has given me an idea for a cointest, would it upset any of you if i set it up on the back of this discussion?

cointest? nah no poblem here as long as I win..me ..pick me...pick me LOL

Just to clarify my original post is referring to people who email for a trade then email again then a few montsh later again about the same coin. I love to trade. But there are only so many times I can tell someone that I don't have coin 'x'. If I didn't have any left the first time I highly doubt that some magically appeared the 3rd or 4rth time that I was emailed about it.

And there appears to be a lot of newer collectors beggin for free coins because they just discovered geocoins and love them and ooo and ahhh they are shiney so give em free ones type thing. That gets old fast.

I would hope this is not directed towards us. We almost always never excpect anything for free. We offer trades all the time with people, We would hate if anyone thinks we are harrasing them.. If anyone has a issue with us in particular we would hope they would come to us.

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

I went to the Heart's thread and saw the last post there was this...

My heart desire would be for that my wife, if she would be lucky to receive a Pittsburg colored Earth Turtle. Val is having more difficulties, with pain in her back, hips and going down in her legs and feet. She is becomming more dependant using her wheelchair more. Her self asteem is been pretty low lately. I just love to see her smile. So my heart desire for her. Probably a wish, but it is my wish....I will continue to give her my support and my unconditional love for her.

Barry of sweetlife

I have never posted in that thread because it completely comes off as a begger's market there. Whether you claim your intent is to trade or not, you have not made a trade request for a coin that only 10 were produced. Further, if your intent is to trade, where it would be placed in the trading thread, you wouldn't be putting all kinds of personal medical issues into the post. That has nothing to do with a trade offer. Just be honest. You want someone to send you a rare coin for free and are using a disablity to help get it. Personally I find that rather sad, but that has become the norm here anymore so it really isn't a shock.

Barry I have met you before at events and think you are a nice person. You are not alone in the way you ask for coins, but rather happen to be the last person posted in the begger's thread. You posted here and claimed your post there was a trade request and not begging, so here's how I see it. For a lot of us, your post can't be taken for anything but begging, so maybe it is viewpoint. Maybe this will help you see how other's are taking your posts. Once again you are not the only one known for doing this often.

In a general sense the whole forums have devolved into this. If you beg or whine enough and can present some type of medical issue, or work loss issues, or something else, people will send you coins. Unless you are me of course. Then when you have a sad sad day, you get a virtual cup of coffee! :)

Whatever happened to people buying coins and trading coins they have instead of begging for what they want?

I've been fortunate enough to recieve some free coins - but never from begging. The way I see it, coins are really personal items that are cool. I'm also a big fan of other personal items and sometimes we get so "coin" crazy, we forget all the other cool stuff out there - from flutes, to shot glasses, to rocks, sticks, wands, etc.

I'm not a big fan of coin trading via the mail anymore either. As you can imagine, I've been collecting coins for awhile and have a rather large collection. Some coins have a lot of meaning, but as soon as I started getting coins that didn't "do" it for me - I stopped. Sort of. I still collect, but I don't get 10 of every new coin (which I was doing back in 2004/5)

Now, I like to get coins from cachers I know, cachers I like from the forums, or coins from areas or with themes that I like.

All that stated. I do give out a LOT of free coins. At events, to my geocaching for families events, etc. People generally don't "beg" for them. They just like them because they met me and like the coin as a memory of the fun we had caching! I tend to give out about 10-20 coins a month. Mostly via caches, events, or by meeting folks. I also don't log all my cache finds any more, so sometimes they are surprizes for people that find a cache I was at.

Like most things with this game - there are many folks with many ideas. There are very few right/wrong things. If someone begs in the forum - ignore them (or not), if they harass you - take Eartha's advice.

There are some bitter posts here, I just wanted to stress that I hope readers don't see it as a "never ask for someone's coin under any circumstances" type thread.

Not bitter, just frustration, annoyance, etc. I think more of us were referencing the begging not the trading requests. Another thing to keep in mind, not everyone here is experiencing what some others do. I remember thinking there were alot of bitter 'old timers' when I first got active here and I have come to understand why they think and feel the way they do and why they have ceased certain behaviors/actions. Even so, many of these very same people are very giving in person and not bitter just tired of the going-on's here. It's bound to happen for those who are pretty active here sooner or later.

work loss issues

Eeek, I know (hope) this isn't about me, but I posted a few weeks ago mentioning the loss of my job but it was in response to having received a mystery coin and saying that it had cheered me up. I find begging unsavoury, but hope people won't feel unable to mention personal circumstances at all for fear of being seen as begging. I also posted for help/advice in getting some coins on a mission recipient's list - I received some great advice and have been able to do some trades that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, people have been kind but I hope the trades done were as fair as possible.

Nope didn't refer to you at all. Had no clue.

The big difference is where you put the emphasis on your post. The trend of late is to focus on all the external things and that usually generates sympathy and support which in turn leads to coins, which again leads to more mush.

Plenty of us share stories and life experiences here, but we don't do it in a way where it would lead others to feel the need or even want to send us coins to make us feel better. If you need someone to send you a free coin to make you feel better, then you should reevaluate your life and your priorities. If the free hand out forums ever went away, where would you turn?

I know some are going to say Obama is going to take a third of my coins to give to those less fortunate, but I have been stock piling my coins out of the country in fear of this so I should be getting my hand out as well. :)

Chantal, do ya have room on your piece of ice for a dragon? :) I know exactly how you feel. There does seem to be a lot of begging on and off the boards. We all have our problems...but I feel that the forums are not the place for it (heck, I come here to escape mine). Nor do I think that problems are an excuse to ask for a coin over and over and over again. If my girls ever repeatedly asked me for something, that is one sure way to guarantee that they will probably never get it.

I don't really understand the idea of the Heart's Desire thread...if you are looking for a coin, and have something to offer for it, then that is what the pinned trade thread is for. Although it was initially fun watching people post the coins that they really liked, and very generous folks granting their wish, it did not take long for it to morph into a begging thread. I don't read it anymore because I find very little joy in it.

When I ask someone for a trade, I usually keep a record of that whether it has been accepted or not so I won't ask the same thing a few weeks later. I sometimes have a short memory :)

I wrote once on the Hearts Desire thread but wasn't expecting to receive the coin as a gift, my trader list is in my signature.

The most annoying thing for me is when I write someone and doesn't get a reply. I usually write them back a few weeks later just in case. I don't mind getting a NO as an answer as long as I get a reply. Why do some people have a trader list if they don't have the intention of replying?

I always do my best to answer rapidly to someone who contacts me. I treat people the way I like to be treated :grin:

I have a lot of coins up for trade.

When I see one I like I usually send my trading list. Sometimes, well, most of the times, people find something they like on that list.

I always feel bad when people send me additional coins or pathtags, cause then I feel indebted.

I actually got one mystery coin out of the blue! Such a surprise!

I read those mystery coin threads and tend to think it might be the cultural difference. Reading here is revealing that some of you feel it's begging as well. What a relief!

I love coins, but it is a very dear hobby. But is that a reason to prostitute oneself? Definitely no!

As to harrassing via email. That is disgusting! Asking for a trade is fine, but when the answer is no, then be it. Just try to get the coin from a different trader...

Just my 2€cent

ElliPirelli

I think in general, it is in poor taste to ask people to send you something for free unless it is offered.

Amen.

I'm also annoyed by someone who started caching last week and already has minted a coin or two and trying to sell them. I like to think of geocoins/geocaching as a hobby, but there's always someone out there looking for a quick buck.

Just my .02

Amen again.

The begging is kind of gross, but I liked the hearts desire thread at first because it seemed more like a question of "what one coin would complete your collection" rather than "what do i want to beg for today" .

It was really wonderful to see people fulfilling other's hearts desires, just to make someones day. I didn't think of posting implying begging at all; but after awhile it started to seem like people would beg until they got something and then beg for something else. I don't really go into the thread that often anymore.

Exactly. I stopped looking at that thread after about a week when the lists were 4-5 coins per post and it just got worse from there IMO.

I like the intent of the Heart Desire thread and how it all started out but it's turned into a request for free coins. If it was a request for a trade, people could post in the trade thread. Even if it was merely a post stating a hearts desire it wouldn't be so bad...but boy, there is some obvious begging for free coins going on in that thread which can't be denied.

Can I get a 3rd "Amen"? :grin:

Wow. I've been in these forums for a couple years now and don't post as much as others (more of a lurker) but I have to say that I can't understand ASKING FOR A GIFT. Not really a gift is it... IMHO

Right. It's not a gift if you ask for it.

I also dislike mystery coins and rarely if ever post in the threads. Begging for the fairy to visit your home is really annoying. If the fairy or cowboy or whoever the mystery person is wanted you to have the coin they would. What happened to finding coins in caches instead of the mail box. It was a lot of fun when you saw someone find a geocoin that wasn't a regular in the forums or didn't have three of the same mystery coin.

Thank you for saying what I've always said & thought.

Not bitter, just frustration, annoyance, etc. I think more of us were referencing the begging not the trading requests. Another thing to keep in mind, not everyone here is experiencing what some others do. I remember thinking there were alot of bitter 'old timers' when I first got active here and I have come to understand why they think and feel the way they do and why they have ceased certain behaviors/actions. Even so, many of these very same people are very giving in person and not bitter just tired of the going-on's here. It's bound to happen for those who are pretty active here sooner or later.

Awww, I knew you loved me. :)

Sorry if I took this thread off-topic by mentioning that other thread. My bad.

To re-emphasize, I don't mind people asking for a trade. This is how I've met many people and made some good friends. It never hurts to ask. Once. For anybody new reading this, do NOT be afraid to ask for trades, just leave it at that and both parties will be happy.

Edited by Kealia

OK, now there should be no hurt feelings here. Everyone wants special coins, and lots of us express our enthusiasm for them here with plenty of gusto. I think a lot of people get all sugary to make the coin sender or the mystery person feel good about the gifts they give so freely. I think the issue is more to the point that if someone has asked someone for a trade or coin, and that person said no, then that should be the end of it. Just ask to be put on a list if the other person ever does decide to trade the coin. No one is mentioning any one person in particular, so don't anyone think it's about you in particular. But if anyone is feeling a twinge of guilt, then maybe you know in your heart that you've asked once to often? I'm not even sure I see that there is a problem, but I rarely ever read the Heart's Content thread. I only skim through once in a while to make sure it's all good. If people didn't want to give the coins away, they wouldn't. Some hearts are BIG. (Some wallets are bigger, too :) )

Chantal, do ya have room on your piece of ice for a dragon? :)

I will always have room on my piece of ice for a dragon...as long as you don't breathe fire and melt it. :grin::)

How about Pigs? I promise my sharp trotters wont break off bits of ice.... :grin:

Every now and then, when I think someone really likes or wants a coin I have, I will give it. But I am being asked in emails to give the beggars geocoins that have been gifted to me or I have traded for. That's not on.

Begging makes me feel guilty for saying no, and I dont like feeling guilty, especially when I do gift coins every once in a while.

Sweetlife, You did nothing wrong. I met you both at MWGB and think you are some of the nicest folks out there. You even gave me a few coins and wanted nothing in return.

There are a folks few posting in here that are guilty at one time or another of sending pestering emails about trades. I know this from past experience and saved emails.

We are all guilty of asking for things we really want. Some of us just take longer to get the hint and stop asking...

We love reading the heart desires and we love seeing people having a better day of receiving a coin they received in the mail. When we see people being happy that makes us more happier. We once in awhile post in heart desire. We both just feel terrible that this had to be brought up in the forums and just so to say if anyone has a problem with us to please contact us. We would like to say were sorry. This hits close to our hearts...don't know how to feel right now.

Fortunately I haven't seen any begging so I've been spared and I've also spared the begger a strong dose of opinions. Whining and begging on the forums has turned me off Mystery coins. It was fun to see where there might be one to find in a cache and zoom hundreds of miles to snag it. But it's now become panhandler city out there. Of course out here in SoCal panhandling is big business with some outfits pulling in $25 and hour so who needs a job when you can guilt for dollars.

To the panhandlers for coins I say.... get out your sign and hang out at the next Mega Event and if you have a puppy or a barefoot child you'll do even better.

Chantal, do ya have room on your piece of ice for a dragon? :)

I will always have room on my piece of ice for a dragon...as long as you don't breathe fire and melt it. :grin::)

How about Pigs? I promise my sharp trotters wont break off bits of ice.... :grin: .

Ok, picture this... a penguin, a dragon and a pig floating around on a nice big North Atlantic block of ice... with a shark swimming circles... for protection of course!

Sorry... I digressed right off the bat. This thread is a bit sad and I felt the need to create a funny visual. Hope that's ok. Now, get paddling ladies - it's 5:30pm on a Friday - there's martini's waiting somewhere!!

Kealia - here's Amen #4 if that's ok. You deserve a hearty pat on the back - too bad there isn't a 'smilie' for that !

FWIW, I've been on the receiving end of some begging and it's not nice. I don't read Heart's Desire anymore, but we still love mystery coins!

OK WAIT!

Let me give you all a newbie perspective. We are new as many know now,and I hope this is not intended for us,and if it is, I would hope that if somthing we have said offended you, would be brought to our att. becide this thread.

We have written many postings here in the short time we have been around,so its hard to say we havent asked for a coin, but we definatly do not beg. We are tring to feel this place out,, We have posted in the desires thread and a bunch of mystery coin threads too, learning along the way. In one mystery thread I asked if newbies were reciving the coins,and after a reply,stated we would keep our fingers crossed...would this be considered begging? ,,as We was wondering if we had a chance to recieve the coin..???

As a newbie (here to stay) I might add, There is a scence of Jelousy when you see 2-300 cachers recieving coins in the mail and you think how recieving a mystery gift (coin or nott), may change your day or how you feel or just be plain nice someone thought of ya!!! And on top of that when you want to be apart of something and be involved with everyone else, and your trying to be ,,spending many hrs typing and reading hundreds of threads, and then you suddenly realize you do not know any one yet!!!

We also dont have much cash for coins, but again we dont beg for them, our collection will grow over time slowly and we are fine with that, We have a spot on our page for our first donated coin, it will be mentioned,,We know at some point over the years to come we will be gifted a coin for no reason, that coin will have a special spot for us and will be listed on our profile page, but again I say we are not begging you to send us a coin,, we just know it will come someday and have created a spot for it and for it to be apreicated!!

In the short time we have been here, we have posted many posts ,,I hope WOWing a mystery coin, is not considered a way to get noticed, we have also added our addy to the cachers list, so that some day soon we may gift to a few pepole on that list, I hope this is not considered begging for a gift coin!

We just want to be apart of these forums and the geocaching comunity, for gifting,recieving,talking,caching,collecting,,or what ever it is that you do here ,,we want in!!!lol

were tryen!! let us know if we have done anything in this forum that would make you not like us ,,we are gr8 poor pepole...lol :grin::):grin:

Ok, picture this... a penguin, a dragon and a pig floating around on a nice big North Atlantic block of ice... with a shark swimming circles... for protection of course!

Sounds like a cool coin to me! :)

LOL, I agree. :grin::grin: So who's minting it so I know who to ask for one for free. :):)

i'll mint it as long as they all have on red ballet shoes!

rsg

Sounds like a cool coin to me! :)

I wasn't going to say that, but as soon as I typed 'circles' it certainly crossed my mind too - I 'got the visual' :-). Isn't it amazing the things that make us think of our words in 42mm x 3.0mm metal almost instantly!

OK WAIT! ...

you gotta remember, everyone, EVERYONE, even old timers were newbies once. i have been around since the forums first started, but just got addicted to coins recently.

even though when the first coins were available to buy, canada coins with funky tracking numbers, i bought several. boy we thought those were hot stuff. and now look how things have grown!

so keep on posting, asking questions and being nice and in 10-15 years you won't be a new newbie any longer. i have been on this forum for 8 months, but i am still a newbie!

besides, lots of the old timers have gotten OLD and CRABBY! and be careful on ebay.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl