Interesting Pipe Cap

CoyoteTrust

Yesterday I found MF0277.

It is monumented between RR tracks and Old US 66. I've found a bunch of pipe cap type marks before, but this one was different. Maybe I haven't had enough experience in finding them, but this particular style of pipe cap was a first for me. The cap is only about 1.5 inches in diameter. Also, does anyone understand the meaning behind the stampings (i.e.: T.I.N.G. and I. GR.)?

1434e87a-0504-4cd3-869c-ae7b595ac2d6.jpg

99b84345-da33-4992-ab59-ae9eb9781008.jpg

13af3498-f8d9-4d82-af52-808916541c13.jpg

Edited by CoyoteTrust

CT,

That's what makes our hobby so interesting...

Even though we can find the mark, not all of our questions get answered.

I noticed the stamping doesn't exactly match the designation. The last digit is a "1" instead of an "I".

T.I.N.G. and I. GR. 1

T = Township?

I = ??

N = North?

G = Grade/Grange/Gas?

You've got a pretty good mystery there. Maybe a call to the county surveyor's office would be in order.

Good luck,

~ Mitch ~

Edited by Difficult Run

Possibly T.I.N.G. is Texas-Illinois Natural Gas Pipeline? The vertical white pipe in the background of the photo might indicate some kind of buried infrastructure between the road and the railroad.

edit: I found a map of gas pipelines in Illinois, and plotted the location of the benchmark as the yellow dot.

IL_pipelines.png

Edited by holograph

Hey, kudos "holograph" I think you nailed it. I remember seeing pipeline signs in the area but honestly didn't pay much attention to them. In the bottom-most pic I posted, I believe that white pole is related to a pipeline in the area. Not 100% sure but there are a lot of pipelines in my home area and they are 'marked' with similar white or yellow poles.

Diff Run: Good eye on that "I" being a "1". I guess I did notice that... and I failed to note that in an NGS report, hmm.

Thanks to all for the inputs & interest.