LARP Cache?

OK, here's the thing. I'm a bit of a geek and got to thinking. I love gaming (rpg, like D&D and not over the computer) and I love geocaching. I'm batting the idea about for putting the two together for a con. Naturally, it would be a puzzle cache, but how to go about doing it. Riddles and math problems and such, a couple battles here and there. The GM would have to follow, but not interfere with the players (for the fights and such) and would ba available for additional hints (as with any puzzle cache) One cache leads to the next, and you get a treasure at the end, a geocoin or somesuch. Any ideas?

I had an idea to do something similar. I want to do a choose your own adventure style multi with a thick plot line, mabey wizards, warrriors and you style with multiple characters to role play. So the first cache would have you choose your character and the rest or most of the caches (or pages, if you think of it as a solo gamebook) would have you go to related caches. I wanted to implement puzzles and letterbox type things, with riddles and clues or maps. And even have character sheets that you would have a virtual inventory and notes of what you found in a cache so you can use it for another one. for example: Like if one path went to a micro with a rope in it and you come to a plot line where it would be usefull you could use it and that choice would put you to a differant cache than if you didn't find the one with the rope first. fights would be done with a solo/ virtual type system. Six sided dice or pick a number and go there type thing to see what the outcome is. The hardest part for me would be to come up with a storyline that was good enough quality to make it awsome. I am not an author but I can usually come up with some creative ideas. I have been looking for someone to co create something with. if the story is there the caches and locations would be easily adapted to suit the needs of a "real life" gamebook. Its not quite as cool as Live action but with a solo based game it wouldn't require a gm and could be done as a mult with 100s of possibilities. Say the shortes route to the final would be 10 caches and you are a hero. Making all the right decisions and finding everything in a perfect order. Or you could go in circles and cover 50 miles of territory and find all 50 or 100 caches before you get to the end. Of course there would have to be more than one possible ending and mabey one ultimate goal or treasure. I don't know, I have just recently begun to think about this and should just try to write a "book" and then adapt it to coordinates instead of pages. I have over 800 different gamebooks of all varietys and should just start reading them all again, and again. I just don't want to steal any ideas from the story lines.

Just some random thoughts,

Dan

This sounds like a great idea for a Wherigo, if you're OK with only having a few cachers able to find it while the hardware is less prevalent. Alternatively, you could make it a multi with choices in each stage; you could let seekers choose their path themselves, you could make them choose a character and follow a character-specific (combat/magic/stealth) path, you could put dice in stages to help randomize the path, or you could mix any of those.

I'm waiting for a cache (puzzle, Wherigo or whatever type suits you) in the idea of "Harajuku Fun Madness" - a LARP game from Cory Doctorow's book "Little Brother" (the book is free on the web). It's been a year since I read it, still only a cache by the name "Harajuku", no connection with LARPing.

Even if it's unlikely that a cache like this will be made in my area, I would like to read the description and the logs!

OK, here's the thing. I'm a bit of a geek and got to thinking. I love gaming (rpg, like D&D and not over the computer) and I love geocaching. I'm batting the idea about for putting the two together for a con. Naturally, it would be a puzzle cache, but how to go about doing it. Riddles and math problems and such, a couple battles here and there. The GM would have to follow, but not interfere with the players (for the fights and such) and would ba available for additional hints (as with any puzzle cache) One cache leads to the next, and you get a treasure at the end, a geocoin or somesuch. Any ideas?

ooooh! Let me know when you do it. Or local Amtgard groups have caches in their parks, and a "treasure" quest would be great! Would have to be something that not only the geocachers, but the LARPers would enjoy doing, too!

I don't have any ideas but I think it's a great idea. I was in a LARP at an anime con once where there were a lot of clues to find which were leading to the goal in the game. A few of the clues led me to find a "treasure chest" which contained a cloth bag filled with (plastic) coins, bead necklaces and Swedish Fish. I didn't get the point of the fish until the person running it explained in the after-game meeting- it was a RED HERRING (duh!)

I dig the idea of a PCV combat or LARP quest mixed with caching, but there are a few catches:

** A con is a temporary event. How would that work with placing caches, which are usually a long-term thing? Would they be removed from the hotel at the end of the con? You micht want to check out the info here on how to do an event cache.

**If there's going to be combat, don't forget about the insurance issues involved. You'll need waivers and all the legalese sorted out.

**Not every con goer can afford GPS units. Heck some of them have to skip meals and all but sell blood for gas money to get there and back. You might be better with letterboxing for this. Give your players sigils to use on the scrolls.

Hubby and I were actually introduced to letterboxing and caching at a local con about 2 years ago. The actually held a panel on it. At a pirate themed con, no less.

We were interested, but couldn't afford a unit. Then a local living history museum started a little geocaching thing for kids, with loaner units. We went with a buddy and his two kids, but my great big old kid had the most fun.

The next weekend, he came home with a Garmin box and a stupid grin on his face. Dang him! That thing is crack! Now he's trying to lure our gaming crew into it! My Locate Object spell has a digital readout now and gives a bearing accurate to within 30 feet! AAAAGH!!! :blink:

I too have thought about multipath storycaching.

Kaiwarrior, as for 'stealing' ideas from a storyline, I wouldn't worry about that to much. Unless you are copying them word for word, you should be ok, and in fact I bet you could actually get permission to adapt a 'Lone Wolf' story, as all of the books are available online for free.

The problem I see is with the number of caches you would have to put out there to create an interesting story. One solution would be to add this to existing caches. You could find existing caches and then deposit the 'adventure segment' into them. You might want to get the cache owner's permission, as they can then update the cache information to include data that the adventure is there, but you probably would not have to actually do this. You would want to have a note on 'adventure segment' to tell people not to take it.

I thought this would be a great way to do a murder mystery story.

If you're moderately patient with coding the concept, and are a fairly good storyteller, I'd say that Wherigo would be an excellent choice.

The whole idea of Wherigo came about due to a desire to bring RPG's into the real world...

In late 2001 after running Geocaching.com for over a year, Jeremy Irish and Elias Alvord came up with an interesting challenge: How could they bring their favorite adventure games outdoors with GPS technology?

Edited by Touchstone

What about a Combat scenario geocache game.

You have to infiltrate the enemy to seek out his treasures.

Using modern day aides like paintball markers each army or set of players could defend their cache of treasures.

I have been trying to come up with just the right scenario for this what ideas do you have?

We could even travel around and have tactical games across the country.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

I am actually working on a "choose your adventure" series type cache. I am working out the details but basically at the begining you are working for the Royal Nebraska Navy on a hunt for some pirates. about 3 caches in you will infiltrate the pirate base. You do some caches for the Pirates of the Plains (while secretly working for the RNN) and at the end yuo get to choose if you want to work for the RNN or the PoP....about 18 caches total (around 8 logable caches, lots of multi/puzzle caches involved). Starts with one cache but branches off however all end in the same place so you are able to log all the caches. The ending cache will be the long sought after Legendary Golden Ammo Can. :o still working out final details, i have all the containers, coordinates, clues ect, just need to work on fine print

I am actually working on a "choose your adventure" series type cache. I am working out the details but basically at the begining you are working for the Royal Nebraska Navy on a hunt for some pirates. about 3 caches in you will infiltrate the pirate base. You do some caches for the Pirates of the Plains (while secretly working for the RNN) and at the end yuo get to choose if you want to work for the RNN or the PoP....about 18 caches total (around 8 logable caches, lots of multi/puzzle caches involved). Starts with one cache but branches off however all end in the same place so you are able to log all the caches. The ending cache will be the long sought after Legendary Golden Ammo Can. :anibad: still working out final details, i have all the containers, coordinates, clues ect, just need to work on fine print

That sounds awesome.

Maybe we could work out a GRA (Geocaching Royal Army).

Signal as the Mascot.