found coin

conecuh1

I found this wooden coin at Gimme A Break Southbound off I-65 in Alabama. I am new to Geocaching and this is my first coin found. I checked the list of trackable coins and have not found this particular one. I posted a picture of the front and back of the coin on the site when I logged in the find,but haven't gotten any response about any info on the coin. Do I keep it, do I place it somewhere else? I'd like to start a collection when I do find one. Can you give me any info? Any suggestions would be helpful.

That's someone's personal Wooden Nickel. You can just treat it as swag and trade for it. Then it's yours to keep. Most trackable coins you find are travelers and are not meant to be kept. Check the coin description when you log it to be sure.

There are times when people will leave unactivated trackable coins as swag. If you pick one of those up, make sure you trade something good for it, then it's yours to keep. Have fun caching!

I took a look at your pictures and that is a wooden token left in the cache as a sig item. You are free to keep it. When you find a coin though that is a different story. Most are left as travelers. A lot of them have mission statements attached. The coin somewhere will say track at geocaching.com with a 6 digit number. Those are meant to travel from cache to cache. Every once in a while you may find one that someone left as swag that hasn't been activated or that isn't trackable. Those should be traded for with great swag--trade even or trade up. I have found very few of those though so when finding a coin I consider it a traveler which doesn't need to be traded for.

For more info on geocoins and trackable items click on the TRACKABLE ITEMS tab on the top left of any Geocaching.com page (it's in the middle between GETTING STARTED and RESOURCES). Once there click on the Geocoin FAQ for a lot of good info on coins as travelers and collectibles.