Is there a good way to make counties obvious in City Navigator 2009?

I'm trying to see what caches along our route might be in counties that we haven't "logged" yet-- but I can't even tell if there are county lines ON the City Navigator 2009 map...if they're there, they are so light and there is so much other STUFF on the map that they can't be easily identified.

So, are there any programs/plugins/etc. out there that will provide a county overlay or similar feature?

I'm trying to see what caches along our route might be in counties that we haven't "logged" yet-- but I can't even tell if there are county lines ON the City Navigator 2009 map...if they're there, they are so light and there is so much other STUFF on the map that they can't be easily identified.

So, are there any programs/plugins/etc. out there that will provide a county overlay or similar feature?

city nav dont show counties u can use http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ just select the state or all us and download it u will have to instil it to the gps in a differnet place then city nav if ur city nav is on the sd card just instil the counties to the internal memory

Edited by the_alien_spy

city nav dont show counties u can use http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ just select the state or all us and download it u will have to instil it to the gps in a differnet place then city nav if ur city nav is on the sd card just instil the counties to the internal memory

Did you text that from a cellphone? :DB)

the US States and County Boundaries map on that site works great for this purpose. While you can only view one map at a time in Mapsource (as far as I know), if you upload both the county boundary maps and City Navigator maps to your GPS unit, the county boundaries should be overlaid above the map.

My preferred solution is to get a map program such as Microsoft Streets and Trips and import your pocket query into it. I think it's a much better program than Mapsource when it comes to viewing maps on your PC.

the US States and County Boundaries map on that site works great for this purpose. While you can only view one map at a time in Mapsource (as far as I know), if you upload both the county boundary maps and City Navigator maps to your GPS unit, the county boundaries should be overlaid above the map.

DavidMac,

Thank you very much for that link! I have been looking for a way to get county delineation information on my GPS. Now I have it.

TillaMurphs

Why are the state boundries such a mess? There are double or even triple boundary lines, in some cases spread a mile apart. Will it look like this on my GPS?

1. This is due to coordinate thinning of the original dataset. You can find more details here:

Scale, Generalization, and Limitations of the Cartographic Boundary Files

2. Most likely if you are zoomed to a level outside "the target scale range of 1:500,000 to 1:5,000,000".

One thing to note from the download page:

Price: Free
Edited by coggins