The Great TB Race of 2009

TripCyclone

I have been working on some thoughts regarding a new TB race for 2009 and am now officially announcing it for all those who might be interested. Full details can be found at:

Trip's Geoadventures - The Great TB Race of 2009

In summary, it is not a typical race for mileage, but a race for points. Points are awarded for meeting certain goals. The TB with the most points at the end of the year is the winner. There is no entry fee to participate, but you are expected to provide your own TB and traveler, and be able to ship it to the designated starting location (go to the link above to about why this is being done). Geocachers around the world are welcome to enter.

Geocaching related prizes will be awarded at the end of the race for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Expect there to be some decent prizes to be awarded. 3rd place is guaranteed a prize worth at least the cost of purchasing a TB and the average shipping cost combined (I will handle shipping the prizes).

The deadline for entry is January 5th, 2009, the day the race will begin. See the entry rules and FAQ's at the above link for more information. The race will end on January 5th, 2010.

If you are interested, please make sure to check out the above before asking questions, as you might find it's been answered already. Posting your interest on that page is encouraged to help give an idea of how many people want to join. I will keep tabs on this forum if you have questions or comments, or even a suggestion. My ears are open.

It would be great to get a good sized race going. I would also like some help in spreading the word. Mention it to your geocaching friends, post it on your group forums, or mention it at events. The more participants, the more exciting the race.

TripCyclone

UPDATE:

It has been less than 72 hours, but we already have seven requests for entry. The race is now an international race with one of the entries. Keep the entries coming.

I forgot to mention this in the previous post. If you think the race sounds interesting, but are not sure you want to enter, you can still help. We are looking for cachers who would like to place "Official Checkpoint Caches". These can be new or established caches. I am putting together a simple graphic that can be included on the cache page to identify it as a checkpoint cache. Check out the link listed in my previous post to find out more about how these checkpoint caches will benefit the race.

TripCyclone

Edited by TripCyclone

UPDATE:

I have set up an official blog for the race, complete with rules, FAQ's, and contestant details (to be updated as contestants send me their TB information). Check it out at Great TB Race.

At this point, we have almost 20 entries from around the world, and the race is still growing. You still have time to join the race. Contact me through my profile or through a comment on the race page to enter and get more details on what you need to do to become a contestant in the race.

TripCyclone

I have been working on some thoughts regarding a new TB race for 2009 and am now officially announcing it for all those who might be interested. Full details can be found at:

Trip's Geoadventures - The Great TB Race of 2009

In summary, it is not a typical race for mileage, but a race for points. Points are awarded for meeting certain goals. The TB with the most points at the end of the year is the winner. There is no entry fee to participate, but you are expected to provide your own TB and traveler, and be able to ship it to the designated starting location (go to the link above to about why this is being done). Geocachers around the world are welcome to enter.

Geocaching related prizes will be awarded at the end of the race for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Expect there to be some decent prizes to be awarded. 3rd place is guaranteed a prize worth at least the cost of purchasing a TB and the average shipping cost combined (I will handle shipping the prizes).

The deadline for entry is January 5th, 2009, the day the race will begin. See the entry rules and FAQ's at the above link for more information. The race will end on January 5th, 2010.

If you are interested, please make sure to check out the above before asking questions, as you might find it's been answered already. Posting your interest on that page is encouraged to help give an idea of how many people want to join. I will keep tabs on this forum if you have questions or comments, or even a suggestion. My ears are open.

It would be great to get a good sized race going. I would also like some help in spreading the word. Mention it to your geocaching friends, post it on your group forums, or mention it at events. The more participants, the more exciting the race.

TripCyclone

Am intrested in joining the race and would like a standardized TB description and TB Info Card. I have ordered my travel bug, and am awaiting its arrival. as I understand it when it arrives I notify you and you will send me an address to ship it too. Thanks for your help.

Just a announcement to anyone following this. We currently have over 50 entries to the race, between activated TB's and the list of people who have contacted me. If you are following the race site, you'll see we already have one prize added to the prize pool (and maybe another one coming soon), along with our new cache container for the starting line.

The race has been pushed off to January 7th due to some conflicts with how I receive mail when I'm out of town. However, the deadline will remain at January 5th. A reminder that if you are late noticing this deadline, please contact me. There might still be a way to enter.

Keep checking the racing page to keep up with updates and bookmark it so that you can follow along during the year.

TripCyclone

Great TB Race

Just a announcement to anyone following this. We currently have over 50 entries to the race, between activated TB's and the list of people who have contacted me. If you are following the race site, you'll see we already have one prize added to the prize pool (and maybe another one coming soon), along with our new cache container for the starting line.

The race has been pushed off to January 7th due to some conflicts with how I receive mail when I'm out of town. However, the deadline will remain at January 5th. A reminder that if you are late noticing this deadline, please contact me. There might still be a way to enter.

Keep checking the racing page to keep up with updates and bookmark it so that you can follow along during the year.

TripCyclone

Great TB Race

I would like to enter could yousend me the information on were to mail the TB. I live in Mississippi I wil palce a cache in my yard for a check point if you want me to. I can palce the cache and not enter a TB if thet would be better.

IMO there should be a BIG bonus: Like a point multiplier - for each separate cacher a bug travels through. Not just a simple point award.

This is to avoid one cacher grabbing a bug and then 'dipping' it from cache to cache meeting all the goals.

If the points increased exponentially for each cacher the bug travelled through, it would be a big disadvantage for one person to hold a bug and not allow others to play.

IMO there should be a BIG bonus: Like a point multiplier - for each separate cacher a bug travels through. Not just a simple point award.

This is to avoid one cacher grabbing a bug and then 'dipping' it from cache to cache meeting all the goals.

If the points increased exponentially for each cacher the bug travelled through, it would be a big disadvantage for one person to hold a bug and not allow others to play.

We have put in place a no dipping rule that should help with that. If someone dips, that racer only gets credit for the final cache they place it in. Many of the racers voted on this one after the subject came up. The only exception we might allow for this is for the FTF points, since some caches might be too small for the items.

Hopefully, this would help discourage people from holding on to the TB, as it would prevent a disadvantage to the TB in the end.

Redsknu2: If you are interested, click on my profile and send me a line. Include your e-mail address and I'll get the info to you ASAP. You have until January 5th to pop it in the mail. I'd be happy to work with you if you still need to get a TB.

We are up to over 60 entries so far from at least a dozen countries. We have our first addition to the prize pool already, an unactivated geocoin, and we will soon have another once I get the picture taken so I can announce it. I have also been contacted by a few people willing to donate towards the prizes, but am holding off until the items are in my hands to announce them. For more details, check out the website:

Great TB Race

TripCyclone

If you want an "Official Checkpoint Cache" in Pueblo, CO, I'd like to offer one of mine.

GC1GHHG

The cache is only a short distance from my house so it's easy for me to maintain; in fact, the parking for the cache is where I can see it from my livingroom window, so I can keep tabs on the activity in the area (if I'm home, of course.)

And the race begins...

The cache that is starting the race has been published. It is currently out waiting for FTF with 76 TB's in the rather large ammo can. I believe we might have just a few more in transit to be added when they arrive.

Check out the cache at: The Great TB Race Starting Line.

For complete racing coverage for the next year, go to The Great TB Race. Don't forgot to bookmark it if you plan on checking back once in a while.

And for anyone wondering about what kind of prizes there are for the winners, we are up to four unactivated geocoins so far and some money donated to help buy prizes. And this is all before the race started.

Enjoy,

TripCyclone

tripcyclone.wordpress.com

tbrace.wordpress.com

Good luck to all participants!

Thanks Millie and I'd like to join Millie in saying good luck to all the racers. A BIG thank you goes out to TripCyclone for all the work and time he's put into organizing this race. If you haven't had a chance yet to check out the TB race home page he created check it out (his post 2 above this one has a link to it). Our fearless organizer did a super job!!!! :yikes:

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

I added a picture to my TB page that Smiling Bee took, what do I need to do to get it linked with contestants page. I put it in photobucket but it won't let me copy and paste with img. Thanks in advance for any help.

Karen

Hi Karen. I also have a TB in the race. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll want to contact TripCyclone, the organizer of the race, and let him know you now have a picture on the TB page. I think then he'll be able to get the link made. Good luck to your racer! ;)

Just a reminder to make sure you log the TB's if you take any from this cache, or find any out in other cachers. Out of the 21 TB's still listed in the starting cache, 10 are unaccounted for. People grabbed them and never logged them. Sort of a sad race for some if we can't track them down. I hope to post something on the racing page within the next 24 hours announcing who is missing in case people find them (I'm waiting for some e-mail responses).

TripCyclone

What is the difference between a travel bug and a travel slug?

I picked up a 'slug' in CA -can it be entered in the race?

I haven't heard of a travel slug in regards to trackables.

Unfortunately, the entry period has closed. You can follow the race atGreat TB Race. If you would still like a way to participate, check out the tab titled "Checkpoint Caches". This is an option for people who would like to help out the race. And all you have to do is have a cache available that can act like a checkpoint in the race. We have a small amount available at the moment, but the more the merrier.

If the race goes well enough, we might look at organizing a second one next year.

TripCyclone

Unfortunately, the entry period has closed. You can follow the race atGreat TB Race. If you would still like a way to participate, check out the tab titled "Checkpoint Caches". This is an option for people who would like to help out the race. And all you have to do is have a cache available that can act like a checkpoint in the race. We have a small amount available at the moment, but the more the merrier.

If the race goes well enough, we might look at organizing a second one next year.

TripCyclone

the travel slug is a geocoin, but that's another forum

ILYK

TripCyclone

the travel slug is a geocoin, but that's another forum

ILYK

Thank you - will look there

<p> Hi everybody! I just wanted to give an update on the The Great TB Race of 2009. All racing TBs have now been moved out of the starting cache! I believe there are about 80 racers in this race. First I'm sure I can speak for all the racing TBs owners when I say thank you to the Kansas City area geocachers for getting all of the TBs on their way!!!</p>

<p> While lots of the racing TBs are within about 100 miles of the starting cache in the Kansas City area, there are some that have already logged hundreds and I think there are about 6 that already have traveled over 1,000 miles. That means that no matter where you are in the U.S. and later internationally to watch for racers coming to a cache near you!</p>

<p> If you want to keep your eye out for racers near you all you have to do is check cache inventories near you for racers. The easiest way to determine if a TB is a participant in the race is by looking at the TBs name. If in it's name is says something to the effect of The Great TB Race of 2009 then it's a racer and it's owner would love for you to move it along. Of course moves of hundreds or thousands of miles are great, but even a move to a nearby cache will earn the racer a point so don't feel shy about moving them even short distances.</p>

<p> The race will be running through January 2010 so if you want to keep up with the race you can view the race blog by CLICKING HERE! There are about 80 TBs racing in this race so it should be a fun year watching them race literally all around the world.</p>

<p> The last thing I'd like to do is extend a big Thank You to TripCyclone for organizing this race and making it become a reality! You've done a super job!!! :)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

<p> Hi everybody! I just wanted to give an update on the The Great TB Race of 2009. All racing TBs have now been moved out of the starting cache! I believe there are about 80 racers in this race. First I'm sure I can speak for all the racing TBs owners when I say thank you to the Kansas City area geocachers for getting all of the TBs on their way!!!</p>

<p> While lots of the racing TBs are within about 100 miles of the starting cache in the Kansas City area there are some that have already logged hundreds and I think about 3 that already have traveled over 1,000 miles. That means that no matter where you are in the U.S. and later internationally to watch for racers coming to a cache near you!</p>

<p> If you want to keep your eye out for racers near you all you have to do is check cache inventories near you for racers. The easiest way to determine if a TB is a participant in the race is by looking at the TBs name. If in it's name is says something to the effect of The Great TB Race of 2009 then it's a racer and it's owner would love for you to move it along. Of course moves of hundreds or thousands of miles are great, but even a move to a nearby cache will earn the racer a point so don't feel shy about moving them even short distances.</p>

<p> The race will be running through January 2010 so if you want to keep up with the race you can view the race blog by CLICKING HERE! There are about 80 TBs racing in this race so it should be a fun year watching them race literally all around the world.</p>

<p> The last thing I'd like to do is extend a big Thank You to TripCyclone for organizing this race and making it become a reality! You've done a super job!!! :(

Well, we've hit the two months mark with the race. Here are some highlights:

One racer has taken broken the 100 point mark with not only the largest jump (4700+ miles), but also with a 17 border crossings in one jump. They are almost 70 points ahead of second place.

At least two racers have left the United States.

Several racers have only the checkpoint caches left to find to have earned points in every category.

A few racers have gone MIA from the start. A few were presumed MIA and have later popped up on the radar. At least two went missing in a muggled cache.

Come check out the race site to find out more and keep up with the race. Check to see how you can help by providing a checkpoint cache, or become familiar with how to earn points in case a racer shows up near you. All of this at The Great TB Race.

TripCyclone