Low cost gpsr for paperless caching or semipaperless

rcjeep37

Right now I have the Magellan Triton and I can't find a program that lets me transfer caches to it. So I end up hand entering the coords which is very very very frustrating. I am looking at the Garmin venture hc but want to buy wisely and want to just trans all the coords to it. Anyone got any ideas for me?????? :anibad:

Right now I have the Magellan Triton and I can't find a program that lets me transfer caches to it. So I end up hand entering the coords which is very very very frustrating. I am looking at the Garmin venture hc but want to buy wisely and want to just trans all the coords to it. Anyone got any ideas for me?????? :anibad:

I have a Venture HC and my thoughts on computer integration with this receiver:

1. It holds 500 waypoints. You can add waypoints using GSAK but there doesn't seem to be a way of selectively erasing, so you'll need to wipe out all the waypoints and re-enter a new set.

2. You can mark a cache as found on the unit (right from the compass page) and it will ask if you want to navigate to the next nearest cache. It also removes it from the list of geocaches when you're looking for a waypoint (you can still go to it, by selecting Find->Waypoint instead of Find->Geocache). After that you can see in your calendar when you found which cache. But there does not appear to be a way to transfer this information back to the computer.

3. Waypoint name is 14 characters and waypoint description / note is 30 characters. Not quite useful enough for paperless caching, if by that you mean having the full description, hints and logs on your fingertips.

Edited by Chrysalides

I have a Venture HC and my thoughts on computer integration with this receiver:

1. It holds 500 waypoints. You can add waypoints using GSAK but there doesn't seem to be a way of selectively erasing, so you'll need to wipe out all the waypoints and re-enter a new set.

2. You can mark a cache as found on the unit (right from the compass page) and it will ask if you want to navigate to the next nearest cache. It also removes it from the list of geocaches when you're looking for a waypoint (you can still go to it, by selecting Find->Waypoint instead of Find->Geocache). After that you can see in your calendar when you found which cache. But there does not appear to be a way to transfer this information back to the computer.

3. Waypoint name is 14 characters and waypoint description / note is 30 characters. Not quite useful enough for paperless caching, if by that you mean having the full description, hints and logs on your fingertips.

I guess I would like to download the caches to the gpsr instead of print each sheet off and then having 20 pages of caches to swim through. I figure I can just make small notes of the clues and name if I need to. Does the unit show detailed roads instead of printing off a map to read? As for the finding and logging it I can make some notes about that too.

There is another current thread talking about a really cheap way to go paperless and have it all. It requires buying a really cheap Palm PDA - there are lots of older models available for really low prices - and adding a program called CacheMate to the Palm. This allows you to load all that stuff into CacheMate on the Palm and manage it the way you want. So you can make comments, change things, accumulate info for solving puzzle caches, mark caches as found, with the date and comments. It means carrying two devices - the GPS and the Palm - but you can lose the paper and have much more flexibility.

To see if it's interesting to you, just Google "CacheMate" and check out it's features. For more details on how to do it, check out the current thread in this section about cheap paperless caching.

...ken...

I guess I would like to download the caches to the gpsr instead of print each sheet off and then having 20 pages of caches to swim through. I figure I can just make small notes of the clues and name if I need to. Does the unit show detailed roads instead of printing off a map to read? As for the finding and logging it I can make some notes about that too.

Data entry on the Venture HC (and probably all other eTrex units) can be a major pain. The basemap also leaves much to be desired. You can upload maps into the unit, but I can't speak from experience since I have not tried it myself.

Personally I use my Nuvi for driving to a parking spot close to the cache, then use the Venture HC to get to the cache. I haven't done any caches that require more than 15 minutes of hiking yet (and only one of those), so the lack of detailed maps on the GPSr may be a limiting factor. Time will tell. Right now I plan to use park maps to get to the general vicinity of the cache.

The Nuvi can store thousands of cache locations as custom points of interest. The entire cache description will be available, but any images will not be. There's a separate thread on this topic.

Right now I have the Magellan Triton and I can't find a program that lets me transfer caches to it.

Your Triton should have come with CD that has VantagePoint on it. That's the software needed to transfer gpx points to your Triton.

You can download the software here

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.as...amp;PRODID=1903

You can easily go paperless with the Triton with a premium geocaching account.

Right now I have the Magellan Triton and I can't find a program that lets me transfer caches to it.

Your Triton should have come with CD that has VantagePoint on it. That's the software needed to transfer gpx points to your Triton.

You can download the software here

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.as...amp;PRODID=1903

You can easily go paperless with the Triton with a premium geocaching account.

I did get the vantage point software but for some reason it wont work. When I go to open it will say that it has stopped working and closes. Not sure about that either

Here is the lowest cost GPSr providing true paperless geocaching:

http://www.tigergps.com/refurbpn20.html

Everything needed is in the box, no addtional application software to aquire, no other maps to buy, no additional hardware (PDA) to carry around, no keystroke entry of coordinates.

Outside of that, there will be nothing over which to complain. :anibad:

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Here is the lowest cost GPSr providing true paperless geocaching:

http://www.tigergps.com/refurbpn20.html

Everything needed is in the box, no addtional application software to aquire, no other maps to buy, no additional hardware (PDA) to carry around, no keystroke entry of coordinates.

Outside of that, there will be nothing over which to complain. :blink:

If the darn PNs had a larger display (AND better battery life!) THEN maybe, possibly, they would be the ultimate GPSer.

Edited by Indotguy

What is the dif between PN40 and The PN20?

The PN-40 is a new model that is expected to be shipped in a week or so. It has all the functionality of the PN-20 in addition to:

1. A duo processor that makes everything, particularly screen refresh rates, far faster.

2. An electronic compass which provides heading at zero speed.

3. A barometric sensor that also provides altitude derived from ambient pressure with or without an auto-calibration capability.

The main difference is speed. The PN-20 is a bit underpowered for the imagery processing needs, so screen redraws can take from one to 5 seconds depending on the task at hand. Being the patient type, this didn't bother me much...but it was a deal-breaker for some.

The PN-40 has a dual-core processor that makes operation as crisp as one could want. I liked the PN-20 a lot, but I love the PN-40 that I was able to beta test. Additionally, the PN-40 has more memory, an electronic compass, and a barometer; the compass is nice for geocaching as you don't need to be moving to get a reading.

The form factor is virtually identical on both models; the firmware is also very similar.

Edit: I see CowboyPapa and I are making our rounds at about the same time today...again...

Edited by embra

Just tossing in another bread crumb to chew......

If you use a 60CSX and have GSAK, you can load the caches two ways. You can use the standard "send to GPS" within GSAK and send over the waypoints.

If you use POI loader from Garmin (it's a free download!), you can load up to 99 characters of a hint. That's usually more than enough to get the whole hint.

You can mark caches as found in the 60CSX so when you get home you can log them.

Of course, my vote is to to use a Palm running Cachemate. That's what I do!

What is the dif between PN40 and The PN20?

Outside the differences listed above, the most immediately apparent is the appearance,

one (20) is Caterpillar yellow, and the other (40) is Kubota orange . . . ;^)

Gotta love 'day-glo', has any one ever checked to see if they fluoresce?

Maybe the PN-60 will be that green, or blue Saab used in the '70s on the

Sonnets (model 97).

Norm

Edited by RRLover