HOW LONG

Bama & pachyderm posse

At least three weeks to a month is normal. People can't cache every day. It should be a very friendly email. And then wait patiently. The nicest "thank you so much for moving my TB, I can't wait to see where it goes" email goes much farther than the "Hey you, when you gonna move my bug! You've been holding long enough!" type email. So many times people misplace them in those backpack, rucksack, belly bag, river bag, purse, trunk, car, things they call "The Black Hole", and don't want to admit to you that they might have lost it, but really didn't, they just misplaced it, so you have to give them time to log it, find it, move it. But..... you don't want to wait too long in case they just plain forgot, so you do what feels best for you in the long run.

Personally, I might wait a couple of weeks. I think two weeks is more than enough time for someone to drop a bug.

On the other hand, this last spring I found a geocoin in a cache here in Michigan, but I was going to Europe about a month later. I wanted to place the coin in Switzerland. BUT, I emailed the owner FIRST and asked if I could hang on to the coin for the several weeks before my trip. He had no problem with that.

I think most TB owners just want to be kept informed of their bugs' progress, and that's reasonable.

I think people taking and moving travel bugs should do their best to get them back into circulation asap.

Just my two cents!!!

Rasputin

WWW.Glass-cockpit.org

At least three weeks to a month is normal. People can't cache every day. It should be a very friendly email. And then wait patiently. The nicest "thank you so much for moving my TB, I can't wait to see where it goes" email goes much farther than the "Hey you, when you gonna move my bug! You've been holding long enough!" type email. So many times people misplace them in those backpack, rucksack, belly bag, river bag, purse, trunk, car, things they call "The Black Hole", and don't want to admit to you that they might have lost it, but really didn't, they just misplaced it, so you have to give them time to log it, find it, move it. But..... you don't want to wait too long in case they just plain forgot, so you do what feels best for you in the long run.

sent an email a week ago no answer now what ? :blink:

Wait.

Looks like that person hasn't cached since he picked it up. He's probably lying in a hospital bed the a gauze bandage wrapped around his forehead. According to my wife's stories it'll be another six weeks before he comes out of the coma, and another four before he remembers your bug.

Wait.

Looks like that person hasn't cached since he picked it up. He's probably lying in a hospital bed the a gauze bandage wrapped around his forehead. According to my wife's stories it'll be another six weeks before he comes out of the coma, and another four before he remembers your bug.

he is a she bookeeper thattha I will be 66 soon i hope i can wait lol :blink: Edited by Bama & pachyderm posse

Someone took a geocoin of mine and placed in in a brand new TB Hotel cache. Trouble is, the cache hasn't been published yet, and its been 2 months. After seeing the coin placed in the unpublished cache and sitting there dorment for over a week, I emailed the cache owner. He told me the cache was in a low lying area and after the resent rain, he didn't want to leave the cache there. Well, it hasn't rained much in the last 2 months and my coin is being held hostage! Think its time for another email?

I have my first Travel Bug. And I'm so excited to see where it goes.

I live in Canada, and I want to log it starting from home, and then I'm dropping it down in Southern California, and Mexico.

Is there a way to log my home location (or a cache near home) as my starting point?

Thanks for any help given!

I live in Canada, and I want to log it starting from home, and then I'm dropping it down in Southern California, and Mexico.

Is there a way to log my home location (or a cache near home) as my starting point?

Yep, just go out with your TB in tow and find a local cache (no need to physically place the bug in the cache) and when you log your find, drop your bug into the cache. Then go back to your bugs homepage and retrieve it back out of the cache. When you drop it into another cache, the miles will be calculated from where the bug was dropped last (ie, the local cache near you). This is called dipping.

Bruce

Yep, just go out with your TB in tow and find a local cache (no need to physically place the bug in the cache) and when you log your find, drop your bug into the cache. Then go back to your bugs homepage and retrieve it back out of the cache. When you drop it into another cache, the miles will be calculated from where the bug was dropped last (ie, the local cache near you). This is called dipping.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

It is precisely to avoid these annoying emails from people overly anxious about their Precious Bug that I avoid trackable items as much as I can. In the rare event that I decide to move an item on, I don't log it out of the cache until I have placed it in a new cache. That way, the owner never bothers me.

No, I don't keep trackable items. I only move them from caches that are so rarely found that the items really need to move on. Finding a decent cache that is big enough to accept trackable items is harder than it might seem. I don't want to leave them in trashy tupperware that is likely to be muggled.

So how long should you wait until you pester the person who was kind enough to notify you that they have the item?

Forever.

Some people have real lives to live. Caching isn't their # 1 priority in life. They don't get out every week, 2 weeks or even once a month as they have real things to do in life.

Even those who do get out frequently may hit a spell of nano/micros where TBs won't fit. Those seem to be getting far too common anymore.

Other caches may be located in the boonies where they only get found once in a blue moon or during certain times of the year not found at all. Those a person might not feel dropping a TB where it would be in left for months without being found again. They would rather carry the TB for a few more caches hoping to find one that gets hit more frequently where the TB might get picked up and moved quicker.

ok Wadcutter how about this the person has been out caching,has found largercaches, has not responded to e-mail, and last but not least held coin 4 days short of two mo. what other excueses can you think of

They misplaced it in the bottom of their pack, haven't found it there yet, and don't want to admit they don't know where it is at the moment. Then when they do find it, they'll quietly log it into a cache, and hope you are happy. That's a classic example of what happens sometimes. No two humans are alike. Just keep the emails polite. You'll catch more flies with sugar than you will with vinegar.

ok Wadcutter how about this the person has been out caching,has found largercaches, has not responded to e-mail, and last but not least held coin 4 days short of two mo. what other excueses can you think of

Think about your attitude here. You feel entitled to have someone move your bug for you on your schedule unless they can come up with a suitable "excuse."

If I were the person in question, I would make it a point not to respond to you. I would further be tempted to put the coin into a cache somewhere and not log it in just to be rid of it.

It's owners like this that make what would otherwise be an enjoyable part of geocaching miserable.

Stop right there.

Please read the forum guidelines posted at the top of these forums, and may I point out this part, you will notice it is #1.

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

Stop right there.

Please read the forum guidelines posted at the top of these forums, and may I point out this part, you will notice it is #1.

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

you are right . i should not have let go that far . I just wonted to know how to handel this prob, thanks for your input

Stop right there.

you are right . i should not have let go that far . I just wonted to know how to handel this prob, thanks for your input

this is the advice i was trying to follow At least three weeks to a month is normal. People can't cache every day. It should be a very friendly email. And then wait patiently. The nicest "thank you so much for moving my TB, I can't wait to see where it goes" email goes much farther than the "Hey you, when you gonna move my bug! You've been holding long enough!" type email. So many times people misplace them in those backpack, rucksack, belly bag, river bag, purse, trunk, car, things they call "The Black Hole", and don't want to admit to you that they might have lost it, but really didn't, they just misplaced it, so you have to give them time to log it, find it, move it. But..... you don't want to wait too long in case they just plain forgot, so you do what feels best for you in the long run.

Think about your attitude here. You feel entitled to have someone move your bug for you on your schedule unless they can come up with a suitable "excuse."

If I were the person in question, I would make it a point not to respond to you. I would further be tempted to put the coin into a cache somewhere and not log it in just to be rid of it.

It's owners like this that make what would otherwise be an enjoyable part of geocaching miserable.

Yes! I feel entitled to have my bug moved by those who take it. It is clearly stated in the tag that it is to be moved. That's why I bought it. Do YOU feel entitled to keep a loaned piece of property as long as you like???

It is precisely to avoid these annoying emails from people overly anxious about their Precious Bug that I avoid trackable items as much as I can. In the rare event that I decide to move an item on, I don't log it out of the cache until I have placed it in a new cache. That way, the owner never bothers me.

No, I don't keep trackable items. I only move them from caches that are so rarely found that the items really need to move on. Finding a decent cache that is big enough to accept trackable items is harder than it might seem. I don't want to leave them in trashy tupperware that is likely to be muggled.

So how long should you wait until you pester the person who was kind enough to notify you that they have the item?

Forever.

Hmmm, bad form and a bad attitude. It is not at all unreasonable for a trackable owner to ask someone about the status of a trackable after a few weeks of no movement. In fact I have trackables that have been picked up and forgotten for months until I sent the email inquiring about them. Almost all inquiries have resulted in a polite response and the trackable getting back on the geocaching road.

There have been a few times when I held on to a trackable longer than I should have and the owner asked me to move it along. I have always responded nicely and moved the trackables along as soon as I could and in accordance with the owner's wishes.

Nice and easy with no angst.

If you choose to participate in the trackables aspect of the game you should at least be making a good faith effort to do so within the normal expectations of that part of the game.

Eartha explained it.

No one is required to respond to anyone's email. Sorry you feel slighted they didn't respond but there's nothing mandating anyone respond to you or anyone else. Believe it or not some people rarely check email and may go weeks, maybe months, before doing so. I know that's hard for geeky people to believe but not everyone lives on their computer.

4 whole days short of 2 months? Well, we should go find the person and boil them in oil and pull out their fingernails. Shame on them for holding a TB for 2 months. I guess they'll never be able to run for president or pass a top secret security clearance. I'm surprised they are still allowed to be walking free and haven't been locked up in some dark and dank hole fed nothing but stale bread and rancid water. The world just isn't safe anymore for decent people.

Not every cache, even the large ones, are placed where they are found very often. A TB could sit in some caches for months without that cache being found. That won't have helped the TB along. A cache may look like it was a good location to you 1000 miles away but to the person on site they know what the situation actually looks like. That cache might have been logged several times in a month but there are a whole lot out there in places that wouldn't be found for several months due to weather.

One time I got a "nasty" email from a TB owner because I had his TB for over a month. This owner pointed out that he'd been tracking my caching history and that I had logged over 20 caches since picking up his TB but hadn't left it as he felt I should. What this astute person didn't bother to check was those were all film cans or nanos and if he could tell me how to fit his railroad spike TB in a film can then I would be happy to leave it in the very next one I find.

Relax. People have real lives to live. There are other priorities in life. You've been at this all of 3 months and 22 finds. If you get so worked up over this then you won't last long in this hobby. And it is just a hobby, not a life and death way of life. TBs will move eventually and if they don't then it's not the end of the world. That's the life and death of TBs. Some last for years and move quickly. Others never make it out of their first cache until they're lost forever. There are a whole lot more important things to worry about. But if that is the major worry in your life then it's a pretty easy life.

Eartha explained it.

No one is required to respond to anyone's email. Sorry you feel slighted they didn't respond but there's nothing mandating anyone respond to you or anyone else. Believe it or not some people rarely check email and may go weeks, maybe months, before doing so. I know that's hard for geeky people to believe but not everyone lives on their computer.

4 whole days short of 2 months? Well, we should go find the person and boil them in oil and pull out their fingernails. Shame on them for holding a TB for 2 months. I guess they'll never be able to run for president or pass a top secret security clearance. I'm surprised they are still allowed to be walking free and haven't been locked up in some dark and dank hole fed nothing but stale bread and rancid water. The world just isn't safe anymore for decent people.

Not every cache, even the large ones, are placed where they are found very often. A TB could sit in some caches for months without that cache being found. That won't have helped the TB along. A cache may look like it was a good location to you 1000 miles away but to the person on site they know what the situation actually looks like. That cache might have been logged several times in a month but there are a whole lot out there in places that wouldn't be found for several months due to weather.

One time I got a "nasty" email from a TB owner because I had his TB for over a month. This owner pointed out that he'd been tracking my caching history and that I had logged over 20 caches since picking up his TB but hadn't left it as he felt I should. What this astute person didn't bother to check was those were all film cans or nanos and if he could tell me how to fit his railroad spike TB in a film can then I would be happy to leave it in the very next one I find.

Relax. People have real lives to live. There are other priorities in life. You've been at this all of 3 months and 22 finds. If you get so worked up over this then you won't last long in this hobby. And it is just a hobby, not a life and death way of life. TBs will move eventually and if they don't then it's not the end of the world. That's the life and death of TBs. Some last for years and move quickly. Others never make it out of their first cache until they're lost forever. There are a whole lot more important things to worry about. But if that is the major worry in your life then it's a pretty easy life.

I never thought i would get the riping that i have goten over a semple question.as for only 3 months every one has to start sometime , have you read all the input ? seem like most agree , I wish some would not make personel attaks , if i can surive viet nam this is a pice of cake , like I said in the start whats the right way and all the emails are frendly.

Edited by Bama & pachyderm posse

I never thought i would get the riping that i have goten over a semple question.as for only 3 months every one has to start sometime , have you read all the input ? seem like most agree , I wish some would not make personel attaks , if i can surive viet nam this is a pice of cake , like I said in the start whats the right way and all the emails are frendly.

It's a simple matter of putting things in perspective and not worrying because someone has a TB for 2 mo. You weren't the only one in VN, and a several other places since then, like a lot of us, should know to put life in perspective. Some of us have learned that, some haven't.

TBs routinely have short lives. That's the hazardous life of the TB. Learn to live with it, don't worry about it, and go on about the important things you can control, not the things you can't.