Etrex Legend Cable - Need Adapter to DL Caches?

jcanda

Hi everyone,

I just searched through the forums for about 10 minutes, but unfortunately couldn't find an answer to this.

As far as I know my etrex legend only came with one cable. The cable connects to the top of the GPS and the other end of the cable is like the plug that a computer monitor goes into... not sure of the actual name of it, but it's exactly like the plug on the back of a computer where you plug your monitor into.

I'm guessing I either:

1. Can't import caches

2. Need an adapter

The problem is I can't find an adapter anywhere offline and I'm not even sure if this GPS is capable of doing the data transfer if I do find an adapter.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance!

That is a serial transfer cable. You would plug it into a serial port on your computer. However, many computers sold in the last 4 years or so do not include a serial port. You can get a USB to serial adapter cable but those are often difficult to configure and sometimes do not work with the GPS. A serial port card can be purchased for around $30 if you have a desktop computer and a free card slot. SHould work if you gewt it plugged in though.

As StarBrand said, that's a serial (or RS-232) cable. If you have a store near you that allows returns, get a USB to RS-232 adapter and give it a try. I have mixed luck with them, some devices work and some don't.

Serial is a little more troublesome to configure than USB. With USB, you just plug it in (and pray, but that's another topic entirely). With serial, you need to ensure that the cables are the right one (you shouldn't have this issue), you've selected the right COM port, and that the settings are correct (9600 bps, no parity, 8 bit data, 1 stop bit or 9600 N81 in RS232 shorthand). Get any one wrong and nothing works, without any helpful error messages.

It's also worth noting that Garmin does not guarantee that their "Send to GPS" plug-in will work with serial interface. However, GSAK should work with it, and it should set up your serial port speed correctly.

Give it a try. Installing a USB to serial adapter is a lot easier than installing a PCI card in the computer.

Thanks for the replies. Now that I look at it I see that there is a different number of holes than a monitor plug has prongs. Other than that it looks identical to a monitor plug... thanks for the clarification.

The PCI card sounds pretty simple to install and I know I have 1 PCI slot open on my system, sounds like the cheaper option. Is there something difficult to it other than physically installing it?

Yes, the Etrex Legend (ole Blue) uses a conventional -pin RS-232 serial cable. On the back of your older computer or laptop you might find a serial port with either 9 pins or 25 pins, both male gender in the backplane. This is not the same as the 25-pin printer port or the 15-pin VGA port, both female gender in the backplane.

If your desktop computer does not have this, you can add a very inexpensive ($8 typical) PCI add-in card that provides a male RS-232 serial port. Some have multiple serial ports as well as a female printer port.

If your laptop does not have this, the only solution is a usb-to-serial adapter. These are also inexpensive. Pretty much all of the them are based on either the PL-2303 chipset or the FTDI chipset. They require the installation of a driver before you plug them in the first time. No biggie.

People seem to have better luck with the FTDI chipset version.

Regardless, when you install the driver, you have to note the assigned COM port (check it in the control panel device manager) so that you can select the correct COM port in your various softwares.

The PCI card sounds pretty simple to install and I know I have 1 PCI slot open on my system, sounds like the cheaper option. Is there something difficult to it other than physically installing it?

Other than installing the drivers, no. But you'd need the drivers for the USB to serial (edited) as well.

I looked at both PCI cards and USB adapters on NewEgg, they're about the same price. In fact, the least expensive PCI card cost a little more than the cheapest USB adapter. Either way you won't be out a lot of money.

Edited by Chrysalides

I have a Garmin eTrex camo (older style with the four pin hook up on unit). I ordered a usb cable for my gps unit and now to need to install a "driver".

Problems encountered....

#1 - Not a techy guy. Can surf the net but installing programs is scary. Is there a step by step process available?

#2 - com ports????? Huh? What you say? How do I get to them and how do I change them (in the program or on my computer)? (btw - I have vista)

#3 - GSAK??? huh? What's that?

I ordered my cable from "discount cables 4 u" and they weren't much help. They sent me to rnrplace dot com to get my driver. Only problem I can down load a driver (I think I did it) but I don't know what I need to do next or how to set up anything else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 - com ports????? Huh? What you say? How do I get to them and how do I change them (in the program or on my computer)? (btw - I have vista)

I don't have the particular cable, so I can't walk you through exactly what happens. But, typically what happens is, you download an executable file, you double click on it to run it, and it puts some files into the system directory (or directories). When you plug in your cable, the computer detects it (if asked if you want to connect to the Internet to check for drivers, say "no") and loads the correct driver.

I don't have Vista, so I don't know if they make you jump through any extra hoops for "security". Perhaps someone running Vista can give a better description.

A COM port (short for communications port) is a serial port found on most older and a few of the newer computers. It is a RS-232 port and the standard is very old. What the USB adapter (and its driver) does is to emulate a COM port interface so that applications think they are talking to a COM port. The application should either probe all available ports, or ask you to choose one. If you're not sure which one it is, trial and error will not hurt.

GSAK - Geocaching swiss army knife. A very popular application / database for managing geocaches. Check the website for more information if you like.

I don't have the particular cable, so I can't walk you through exactly what happens. But, typically what happens is, you download an executable file, you double click on it to run it, and it puts some files into the system directory (or directories). When you plug in your cable, the computer detects it (if asked if you want to connect to the Internet to check for drivers, say "no") and loads the correct driver.

I don't have Vista, so I don't know if they make you jump through any extra hoops for "security". Perhaps someone running Vista can give a better description.

A COM port (short for communications port) is a serial port found on most older and a few of the newer computers. It is a RS-232 port and the standard is very old. What the USB adapter (and its driver) does is to emulate a COM port interface so that applications think they are talking to a COM port. The application should either probe all available ports, or ask you to choose one. If you're not sure which one it is, trial and error will not hurt.

GSAK - Geocaching swiss army knife. A very popular application / database for managing geocaches. Check the website for more information if you like.

Thanks for the reply. The problem I keep having is that the program doesn't detect my cable and asks me if I want a particular com port or search for another. Neither respnse to the dialog box gets it working.

Anyway... Thanks for the information and giving me a better understanding.

Thanks for the reply. The problem I keep having is that the program doesn't detect my cable and asks me if I want a particular com port or search for another. Neither respnse to the dialog box gets it working.

Have you installed the driver? You need to install the driver before that particular COM port becomes available. Those USB to serial adapters are also a little on the fussy side, and don't always work unfortunately. Good luck with troubleshooting - best bet is probably to google for the adapter type and vista to see if anyone else had the same issue.