Quote marks in the title of a Cache...

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has noted the above messes up the macros in GSAK.

Funnily enough, using quotemarks in the engineering databases of BAE Systems where I work is practically a hanging offence - it totally mucks up searching the databases.

I use the clever GSAK macros developed by whizz-kids to place custom icons in Memory-Map and subsequently into my Garmin units (car and hand-held). Whenever some-one uses quote marks (single or double) in the title of a cache, I get the old blue dot instead of a snazzy icon. I end up having to search them out in GSAK and hand amend them in the database prior to exporting filesets.

Any chance on a general ban on quotemarks?....

That's what the "Problem characters to remove from waypoint name" field is for. Just add the " to that field.

Ah! Thanks Stuey - found that under "Export - Oziexplorer" using the search function under Help. Unfortunately this option does not appear to be available under custom export used by the macro that I use to generate the Memory-Map icon output.

Any other thoughts... Clyde... you watching?

Edited by Sue and Bernie

You might want to ask at the GSAK forums, detailing which macros are a problem.

GSAK used to have a problem with quotes but that was many versions ago. I have written and use many GSAK macros and I've not had a problem with quotes for a long time.

There will certainly be a solution in GSAK which doesn't involve trying (and inevitably failing) to stop people using quotes in cache names. A database that doesn't properly handle quotes isn't a very good database :anibad:.

The custom export in GSAK actually requires a GPX file to be produced first. Therefore you need to alter a GPX export definition to ignore the " and save that GPX export definition, then select that saved GPX export definition in your custom export, and that will remove the offending ".

Edited by Moote