How do you deal with TB Hotel owners that insist on 1 for 1 trade?

Castle Mischief

Our family has a trip to Disney World coming up and I've been plotting my routes and adding caches to list of "must visit" spots along the way. I've noticed several "hotels" that insist in the cache listing that finders trade 1 to 1 with trackable items. As you might guess, some of these are pretty full of bugs (at least according to the cache inventory).

I know that the bugs should be free to travel. I know that the TB/Coin owners wishes should trump the hotel owners.

But should I risk ticking off the hotel owner and potentially having my "found it" log deleted because I picked up a few extra bugs to move out of state?

How do you deal with this? Do you free the bugs and hope for the best? Do you claim ignorance of the hotel owners cache description?

How do you deal with this?

I look to the spirit of the game. Not every cache owner with a trade rule is going to delete your found it log if you don't abide. Did they specifically say they would? Either way you need to determine if you are going to be able to assist the bugs you take.

Move them bugs. If you do have your log deleted, refer that cacher here.

I have a personal limit of having no more than three TB's in my possession at any one time, but I wouldn't feel any qualms about visiting a hotel without any bugs to drop and grabbing three to take with me. Or the other way around..dropping without taking new ones out (if I know I won't be caching enough in the near future to keep the bugs moving). I generally swap 1 for 1 on TB's, especially at hotels...but only because I drop my inventory and replace them with three new bugs. Bugs are meant to move, not trade and TB hotels should not be prisons, where a bug can only be paroled if another is incarcerated.

Bruce

I own a TB hotel myself. I decided not to put a restriction on it for the same reason others have mentioned, not turning my hotel into a prison. All it takes is one person to drop several at once and suddenly you have more than the container can handle.

However, I did place a suggestion. In my description I hinted that I'd like to try and have two TB/coins present at all times, but that sometimes they need to get back to their travels and the hotel experiences a minor drought. In those moments, I'll just drop some in myself.

TripCyclone

I own a TB hotel myself. I decided not to put a restriction on it for the same reason others have mentioned, not turning my hotel into a prison. All it takes is one person to drop several at once and suddenly you have more than the container can handle.

However, I did place a suggestion. In my description I hinted that I'd like to try and have two TB/coins present at all times, but that sometimes they need to get back to their travels and the hotel experiences a minor drought. In those moments, I'll just drop some in myself.

TripCyclone

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

- the hermit crabs @ Dec 2 2005,

Look at it this way: Say my dog gets loose and someone finds him. Do they have a right to keep him until they find another dog? NO.

On the other hand, a cache owner CAN list a cache as a mystery cache with additional logging requirements, then deny your smiley if you don't follow the rules.

What a world, what a world.

If my TB is in a TB hotel with restrictions, take it out and publicly log that the TB wasn't in there. Send me an email and let me know where you left it. We all win.