GPS recommendation?

I'm a complete novice looking for a recommendation for a GPS unit. Primarily, I would like it for driving directions but I also want to get started geocaching. I'm pretty technically-minded and interested and excited about learning more! My price range is $300-$400. Would the Garmin Nuvi 660 be suitable?

My apologies to all if a similar question has been posted before. It seems new models are coming out all the time and I wanted to get the latest information.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Get TWO!!!

While this question has been asked and answered many times, neither is perfect for the opposite task. The cheapest Nuvi ~$100 is infinitely better for driving than the best handheld. Same is true for outdoor tasks, the true handheld wins away from the vehicle. Not only better, but two are often cheaper than the all-in-one solutions. Just get the same brand so they can share maps.

May I suggest a Nuvi 2x5 and eTrex H series as a start.

Get TWO!!!

Roger that!

I have both a DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40 (Beta test unit) and I decline to use either for driving. Fortunately, I don't have to as I have an OEM, in-dash GPS/NAV unit in my Jeep. OTOH, having both types provides the comparative basis for that advice. After viewing while driving the 3" x 5" screen of my in-dash, I do not feel safe looking at the handheld while driving more than 10 mph.

I agree that getting TWO is the best idea here (its what I have done) but I have been looking at a few Garmin car units recently and I started wondering...

If I buy an older Garmin C340 or 2720, can I buy the Garmin City Navigator NT and use it on my Venture Cx and the car unit? I can't find anywhere if garmin allows you to use it on more than one device.

Right now i've got a TomTom for the car, so it doesn't matter, but if I replace it with a Garmin it would be nice to know that I can buy one update and use it for both.

Thanks for the advice. I knew I came to the right place. I just ordered the eTrex Vista HCx and it should be here by the weekend. I've gone geocaching a few times with friends and now I'm looking forward to getting out there on my own! Guess I'll wait a bit to get the car GPS. Thanks again!

I have a nuvi 500 that works well for both.

Thanks for the advice. I knew I came to the right place. I just ordered the eTrex Vista HCx and it should be here by the weekend. I've gone geocaching a few times with friends and now I'm looking forward to getting out there on my own! Guess I'll wait a bit to get the car GPS. Thanks again!

I have the Legend HCx, which is the same unit without the electronic compass and barometer. You will find that if you add detailed road maps, like City Navigator North America, you have all of the features and functions of the Nuvi, minus the touchscreen and voice guidance. I'm not recommending your eTrex as a total solution for vehicle nav, but you have made a great choice to help you get introduced to it.

With a detailed map product installed, you can search for addresses, intersections, cities and points of interest (POIs), as well as waypoints and caches. When you find any of them you can have the eTrex create a route to them. You can choose whether you want it to route you via roads or offroad. Then it will provide guidance through beeps and onscreen directions.

If you get a vehicle mount of some sort for it (I would suggest an inexpensive vent mount) you can try it out for vehicle nav and see what things you want when you get around to purchasing one more suitable. A larger display with touchscreen and voice guidance are two obvious gotta-haves. But you may find that using the eTrex will persuade you that a lot of the bells and whistles in the expensive Nuvis aren't necessary (you may still want them anyway ... after all, these are just toys for most of us!).

In the mean time you've got one of the better handhelds. If you decide to get serious about caching, be prepared for the idea that you might need to get a Palm PDA for paperless caching because you can only put the name, location and a very short description into your eTrex for caches.

...ken...