HELLO from a newbie

hello in a total newbie to geocache

went out yesterday to have a go at a local cache but the gps data thingy on my n95 was next to usless lol so ive installed ceocache navigator onto my phone now so im all set to go back and have another go at finding the cache

will be looking at getting a dedxicated gps device soon prolly the garmin ehtex from argos ??

been looking on this forum and saw there are all sorts of gps games to be had

so onto my questions

what is benchmarking ???

and all the other types of games ???

im not that tech savvy so plz use simple terms to describe if you can

many thanks in advance

darren

hello in a total newbie to geocache

went out yesterday to have a go at a local cache but the gps data thingy on my n95 was next to usless lol so ive installed ceocache navigator onto my phone now so im all set to go back and have another go at finding the cache

will be looking at getting a dedxicated gps device soon prolly the garmin ehtex from argos ??

been looking on this forum and saw there are all sorts of gps games to be had

so onto my questions

what is benchmarking ???

and all the other types of games ???

im not that tech savvy so plz use simple terms to describe if you can

many thanks in advance

darren

can't answer all your questions, but...

benchmarking is finding benchmarks using your GPS. A benchmark is the USA equivalent of a trigpoint, except they are usually smaller plaques, bolts and so on, attached to buildings. They are (were?) used for surveying. You can safely ignore these unless you go to the states, as they're aren't any in the UK (Trigpoints aren't listable on GC.com, we won't get into a discussion of why..!)

Most of the games referred to on these forums will revolve around geocaching. Many cachers will develop personal 'games' such as getting lots of FTFs (being the First To Find a cache) or racing to certain milestones. I'm not aware of other games (one is enough for me!), but some google searching should tell you about other non-geocaching games you can play with your GPS (although why you would want to I don't know!) :)

Finally, dunno how much the etrex is from argos, but shop prices are usually about 100 quid. You can often get this down to about 60 quid with the likes of e-bay, or even trawling through the for sale parts on the UK forum here or at the GAGB forums.

Hope thats some help!

Dave

edit for some attroshus spelling

Edited by purple_pineapple

thanks for the info purple not going to bother with benchmarking then

i have been looking at a gps uk site that sell lots of handheld gps systems and ive found a better etrex for about 10 gbp dearer than the argos model basically ill have about 100 pounds to spend in about 2 weeks time so will be doing a lot of searching on the net for a good deal

thanks again purple

darren

Hello ForestFerret, i have not been caching long, but i got a Garmin eTrex Venture HC from Amazon for £100.00 I have had excellent results as i only use it for Caching, so dont need it for mountains, boating etc.... :)

It is one of those recommended by Garmin for caching as it has a Geo-Cache function, which is basically a graphic for when you have found a geocache.

Found 2 today in fact. All the best. :(

Edited by seacarrot12

Welcome to this great, addictive, freindly sport forestferret.

Congratulations on finding your first cache, I hope you enjoyed it and it's the first of many.

As The Slaughter Family mentioned, check out the nearby waymarks on cache pages for more interesting locations nearby, Such as UK benchmarks and trig points, you can log these on Waymarking.com using the same account as your geocaching.com one.

As you probably already know we're a friendly bunch, so feel free to ask any more questions you have :anibad:

Dave

thanks for the warm welcome guys and yes after my first find yesterday im totally hooked went out again today and had a go at a multi was great fun working out all the clues found the first part a micro worked out the clue to the main cache but didnt find it might have been muggled but will go back and try again soon

i am ordering my garmin summit today so should have better results soon :DB)

Hi

If you're looking for a basic GPS, look in the carboot ads section, you will find something you like in there at a better price than Argos. Im currently selling my old Maggy315 in there - a good entry level unit (although it is a housebrick). My first Etrex H cost me £60 trough Ebay, just bought my new Magellan 200 with uk basemaps for under £55 on EBay.

I find GPS units installed on phones are not as good as the dedicated units. I started geocaching with a map and compass, don't reccomend this as it is hard work.

Hope this helps

Maurice

Edited by momagic48