Logging a PM cache

jholly

6) Sorry for being on my soapbox but if there were not premium caches that are not able to be logged by regular members would there be any premium members??

Yes, up until recently loggng a pm cache was open to non-premium members. PMOC's would hardly be a reson to shell out any money. Most are very pedestrian.

5) I don't see a lot of extra good perks to premium membership over a regular membership, so ask yourself seriously before you put out a cache. Do I really want my fellow cachers to be limited by this being a premium cache?

6) Sorry for being on my soapbox but if there were not premium caches that are not able to be logged by regular members would there be any premium members??

Most people think one of the main perks to being a PM is the PQ's (pocket queries). If you were to pull PQ's, I'd bet they'd loose better than 95% of PM's. I don't think your going to find very many people to say they are a PM just so they can get the extra caches, or just about any other PM feature, PQ's are the driving factor to PM's.

5) I don't see a lot of extra good perks to premium membership over a regular membership, so ask yourself seriously before you put out a cache. Do I really want my fellow cachers to be limited by this being a premium cache?

Most people think one of the main perks to being a PM is the PQ's (pocket queries). If you were to pull PQ's, I'd bet they'd loose better than 95% of PM's. I don't think your going to find very many people to say they are a PM just so they can get the extra caches, or just about any other PM feature, PQ's are the driving factor to PM's.

Thus closing the loophole probably won't add much to the number of premium members, and saying they would reopen it and not doing so has reduced their credibility. But there are lots of caches out there and I've never seen a premium cache that was worthy of my favorites list, so the loss is minimal.

Thus closing the loophole probably won't add much to the number of premium members, and saying they would reopen it and not doing so has reduced their credibility. But there are lots of caches out there and I've never seen a premium cache that was worthy of my favorites list, so the loss is minimal.

You've got to remember this is the holidays and they won't release something during that time. In case something unforeseen would mess other thing's up. Give them some time. It would be nice to get an "official statement" on when they are going to put it back but until the holidays are over I wouldn't get my hopes up. Let them enjoy the holidays as everyone should be doing and once normal hour's of work resume I'll bet or hope might be a better word for it, they will open that back door again.

But sending out updates just before the holiday's isn't a good idea. If it broke something else in the code then they would be lining themselves up to work and get thing's going (basically forcing them to make some sort of hotfix). And I don't think this is high on the proitory list.

That being said, any status on this Nate?

Give them some time. It would be nice to get an "official statement" on when they are going to put it back

The official statement WAS made before thanksgiving, promising a fix the Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

THAT WAS A MONTH AGO.

Since then, they are clearly ignoring the problem with no further statement on it.

Check the release notes in the Announcements section. They have not done an update since about a week before Thanksgiving. I doubt they're ignoring it. They've probably already fixed it in their code, but are now waiting until after the New Year to push out the update. Patience, grasshopper.

It's only a game! :lol:

It's only a game! :lol:

ummm..yeah, and it seems like there are people talking out of both sides of their mouths on some of the posts on here. Complaining that there isn't that many of them so it shouldn't matter to Groundspeak if they can log them or not. Well, if it isn't a big deal cause there isn't that many of them, why are you whining about it to begin with. I am sorry, but everytime I get an email notice from these forums in the last 2 weeks, it has been about people whining over this issue. I see some points with family accounts and think that would be a nice touch, but jeesh, let's give it a break. PM caches seem to be few and far inbetween, so why can't it just be let go? As easy as some of you say it is for Grounspeak to change it, it would be just as easy to relax and realize that 1 less smiley isn't going to scar your geocaching experience for life.

Just a thought, if you filed a compliant or whatever the process is, why not let it run it's course like Lil Devil says, or take it as a no and move on with life? Beating the horse after it has died, rotten, and picked clean by birds doesn't accomplish anything other than filling the boards with whining and griping.

Give them some time. It would be nice to get an "official statement" on when they are going to put it back

The official statement WAS made before thanksgiving, promising a fix the Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

THAT WAS A MONTH AGO.

Since then, they are clearly ignoring the problem with no further statement on it.

No, you don't do a major update to a site used at much as GC.com right before the some major holidays.

What if if broke some code somewhere and didn't allow any kind of logging to be done until it was fixed right before a major holiday? Call in a bunch of programmer's to try and get it all fixed on Thanksgiving?? There hasn't been a major update and I'll bet it's due to the holidays. Try waiting till the first of the year and I'll bet they will take care of it.

I doubt it's being ignored. I don't remember seeing where it was "promised" to be fixed the following week, just where they said they would try to. Yes another statement would be nice, but I rather them work on fixing it then spending a ton of time in the forum's having to tell everyone complaining that their working on it.

And there's no need to yell... All cap's on the internet stand's for yelling... :lol:

I am sorry, but everytime I get an email notice from these forums in the last 2 weeks, it has been about people whining over this issue.

From the "email notice";

"Unsubscribing:

--------------

You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "View Subscriptions" link."

One thing I'd like to add here.

To those that think that a PMO cache owner should delete the logs of anyone who's not a Premium Member.

Just how do they know if someone was a Premium Member when they found the cache? I know you can see when a person 'stopped' being a premium member. But perhaps some people, like me, become a PM for a month or so, then quit for a year or so, and then become one again for a year, then quit for a while and then become one again for a short while like 3 months...

Sounds like a lot of work for someone to police all the cache logs on their caches.

People find the caches, they log the books, they should be able to log the caches online. But of course none of use ever see the cache page themselves while we are not a Premium Member. Unless one uses loopholes like the ability to see unpublished caches...

One thing I'd like to add here.

To those that think that a PMO cache owner should delete the logs of anyone who's not a Premium Member.

Just how do they know if someone was a Premium Member when they found the cache? I know you can see when a person 'stopped' being a premium member. But perhaps some people, like me, become a PM for a month or so, then quit for a year or so, and then become one again for a year, then quit for a while and then become one again for a short while like 3 months...

Sounds like a lot of work for someone to police all the cache logs on their caches.

People find the caches, they log the books, they should be able to log the caches online. But of course none of use ever see the cache page themselves while we are not a Premium Member. Unless one uses loopholes like the ability to see unpublished caches...

Sounds like a lot of work. Signing up for PM. Quitting PM. Signing up for PM....................

I don't do a lot of MOCs. There aren't a lot around here. But we did do one recently that qualifies as belonging on "My Favorites" list! Only took us five months to finish it! So, there are some.

IF you have a rule that says 'NON PMO Members need not apply" It's up to you to plolice any logs of any folks who found your cache by accident, who were with a PMO, or who used the brute force method.

So, if a cache owner requires you to be a PM to log a find on a PMOC, is that an ALR?

And are you drowning in alphabet soup?

And are you happy I resurrected this topic, which had almost fallen off the radar? :D

Edward

Good news: The problem has been fixed. I just logged the 5 PM caches that I found in November. It's nice to have an accurate find count again.

Thanks to the programmers who fixed this!

I can confirm that it has been fixed just logged a PM cache my daughter found with me back in November :D

Arrrrg... It's not working for me anymore... :) I have a family of six. Why should I shell out 180 bucks just to let everyone log their finds.

Not sure which of the two or three methods you're using however I think this one still works;

- As a premium member go to the page of the cache in question and chose "Log you visit" from the upper right hand corner.

- When the log page pops up, copy URL to the clip board.

- Log out and re-log in as the non-premium member.

- Paste the URL into the address bar.

From here the premium challenged member :ph34r: should be able to log the cache.

If you have multiple caches to log, just copy and paste the into a notepad document while logged in as a premium member to reduce the back and forth stuff.

Actually, I think logging separately does justify separate memberships. And I'd feel odd if I were logging premium caches while appearing in my profile as a basic member? But that's just me..................

I couldn't help but chime in here. While out caching yesterday with my family (My husband and I are BOTH premium members, the kids are not) we came across a cache that none of us knew was a MOC. After looking for quite some time, my 4 YEAR OLD found it. He was extremely excited and proud. It was important for me to log this find for him - yes he has a user name of his own choosing, one he settled on after a hike that many adults can't make. He was proud of that one, too. So, I'm not trying to cheat or get around the system, but at this point I can't justify a premium membership for him. There are other caches in the same park that are member's only that although he has signed the log for, I won't be logging as finds for him. This particular one was important, that's all.

Actually, I think logging separately does justify separate memberships. And I'd feel odd if I were logging premium caches while appearing in my profile as a basic member? But that's just me..................

I couldn't help but chime in here. While out caching yesterday with my family (My husband and I are BOTH premium members, the kids are not) we came across a cache that none of us knew was a MOC. After looking for quite some time, my 4 YEAR OLD found it. He was extremely excited and proud. It was important for me to log this find for him - yes he has a user name of his own choosing, one he settled on after a hike that many adults can't make. He was proud of that one, too. So, I'm not trying to cheat or get around the system, but at this point I can't justify a premium membership for him. There are other caches in the same park that are member's only that although he has signed the log for, I won't be logging as finds for him. This particular one was important, that's all.

I can not imagine any PMOC owner that would be so cruel and cold hearted that would delete your sons log, especially if the excitement of the find was evident in the log. If you don't know how to log it, drop me an email and I'll be glad to share the secret. Log that sucker, your son deserves it.

If I where to make any of my caches PMOC and it was obvious to me that some non-PM members logged and clearly it was a family I would leave the logs stand. In fact I probably would leave any log stand unless I had reason to believe it was bogus.

Jim

If I where to make any of my caches PMOC and it was obvious to me that some non-PM members logged and clearly it was a family I would leave the logs stand. In fact I probably would leave any log stand unless I had reason to believe it was bogus.

Jim

Both of my PMOC caches have the following statement in the description:

Please note: This is a Premium Member Only Cache, however, if you have regular members in your caching party, I have no problem with them logging their find. Simply have them put http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=XXXXXXX in their browser.

I have a couple of PMOC out and if a regular member finds it and logs it more power to them. I did not make them PMOCs to exclude any particular cacher. One of them is on a fairly steep slope with loose rock, hence somewhat dangerous so I wanted to eliminate a newby that might get in over his/her head. And I may change its status at some point. The other one is in a high muggle area and I merely wanted to keep traffic down.

The other reason that I have for creating PMOCs, and most of my caches are NOT, is to encourage folks to make a financial commitment to the listing service with the hope that those funds might keep the site speed up.

:)

Arrrrg... It's not working for me anymore... :) I have a family of six. Why should I shell out 180 bucks just to let everyone log their finds.

Yeah! Perhaps Groundspeak should come up with some kind of family plan. Of course that probably opens up a whole other can of worms. :shocked: