Sign in to follow this  
Followers 13
Astro5

Hiking with a dog?

245 posts in this topic

How have I never posted to this thread??? I hike and cache with my black lab Inga all the time. I have never done any backcountry camping with her but she does very well sleeping in a tent with me. I let her run off leash as often as possible. Sometimes she's gone for a few minutes but she always manages to find her way back.

Anyway, here's a few picturs of us.

9d75ef8d-9b68-4b8c-bf34-41a12a6a5260.jpg

cbe87fad-b08b-457a-86d4-62a866fbd40d.jpg

03d81a19-41ca-47e9-99a5-a477e96b4edb.jpg

I go caching with my 2 year old Siberian Husky. Great dog, tons of energy, but the prey drive is way too high for her to be off leash. Just something you have to deal with as a Husky owner as I've never met one that could be off leash without going for a run. Their recall is awful. She's a fantastic caching companion though and we go for a lot of backcountry hikes. It helps to have a long leash... It's a 25ft custom made leash that I use for her, sometimes in combination with a harness. She won't go in water deeper than her belly though, so it's been interesting getting her to a few backcountry caches where deep water blocked the trail and we had to find a way across!! As for bears, dogs don't attract bears... they actually act as a repellant. I've been around a lot of black bears over the years and have never ever seen one go after a dog. Generally a black bear will turn and run once it sees/hears you unless it has cubs or you do something to provoke it (ie. stare it in the eyes, throw rocks/sticks at it, etc.). I don't have as much experience around grizzlies, but again, the ones I have encountered in British Columbia did not want to tangle with dogs.

post-5616877-067042900 1341432942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Husky_Patrol

Our chocolate went out with us and did great. He is short haired and VERY well trained off leash(hunting & retrieving) so that might make all the difference. Bonus to having a dog go with you is that they can help pack water/snacks in or to pack trash out. Rusty uses this one and its pretty awesome. Ruffwear

WLkC5.jpg

Edited by Team Thog

Three hikers have been in the woods for a week. One finds a dirty beer bottle by the trail with a cap on it. He starts rubbing the dirt off and boom! A genie pops out. He offers each hiker a wish. One complains he hasn't got a decent phone signal in days and can't text his wife or check facebook. He wishes for good reception and poof! He disappears to a big city. Another complains about how other hikers don't respect his dog. They yell at him when he barks, they give the owner dirty looks when he sniffs at them, and he doesn't feel welcome when they camp. He wishes people would be nicer about his dog. Poof! He disappears to a dog park. The guy holding the bottle thinks for a minute and says, "the guy with the phone is gone, the guy with the dog is gone. Can you just put the beer back in this bottle?"

I posted to this thread a few years ago. That dog has since passed on. Now I am breaking in a new dog for hiking and geocaching. He has a great time on leash and off.

DSC05626_zps33df761f.jpg

DSC05623_zpsb1385f30.jpg

DSC04957_zps12760f2f.jpg

Dogs make great Cougar and Bear bait. :D

They're domestic pets. Keep them at home.

You've never hiked with one then. They love the trails as much as we do. Being domesticated does not mean they need to be kept at home and on the sidewalks.

Thanks for telling it like it is!!!!

Here are my three geocaching buddies. My son (sorry about the heart over his face, I can't be too careful), my Jack Russell - 10 years old, and my Min Pin - 8 years old. I wouldn't cache any other way, they make the long hikes all the more worth it.

post-3055215-062325700 1374462895_thumb.jpg

Dogs make great Cougar and Bear bait. :D

They're domestic pets. Keep them at home.

What a sad comment! My Coco loves the outdoors more than I do!

Dogs are fantastic for keeping all dangerous creature away-especially the 2-legged ones...

image_zps26ee538a.jpg

Edited by JesandTodd

How have I not noticed this thread before? I hike and cache with my Great Swiss Mountain Dog Atlas as often as possible.

431242_593663437327521_915285448_n.jpg

536200_640577285969469_1674442478_n.jpg

482762_631102383583626_1904249589_n.jpg

561276_640577302636134_1688219125_n.jpg

We got a dachshund, Wendell, in April, and he LOVES to go geocaching with us. Believe me, I've heard all the, "they have stubby little legs, how can they walk long distances?" comments before, but he's a little trooper. Now 7.5 months old, he's gone 6 miles with us and still had energy at the end of the walk. Great endurance. He likes it when we stop to look for the cache because that means he can sniff around and explore the nooks and crannies with us. He loves to run up and down steep banks that we have to crawl up and slide down on our butts, making us look bad. He loves to climb on rocks and fallen logs, and just run around in general. We walk with him off leash once we're far enough away from the road. He stays mostly on or near the trail, and is never out of what I call "jingle range", i.e. he's close enough so that I can always hear his license and rabies tags jingling.

9829649686_4e287b2a5d.jpg

Wendell at 3 months - Rimrock Overlook

9829636405_0ce4465b10.jpg

Wendell on log - Laurel Mill Ski Trail

9829726883_33b3a0e762.jpg

Wendell at 7 months - old building foundation on Morrison Trail

This is my geo-mutt, Lexie, who accompanies me to caches all the time. She's actually a coy-dog, a dog/coyote hybrid. Her mother was a heeler/border collie mix that got dumped out at my parents' ranch, and she ran with my dad's cowdogs for a few years, but never let us handle her, or really even get near her. When she turned up pregnant, we knew it would be a surprise, because none of the male dogs around the ranch were intact, but we were really stunned to see a litter of four, a black-with-a-white-shoulder-belt, my little white and brown speckled Lexie, and then two pups that looked pure coyote. Being a coy-dog brings some challenges to the table, but something Lexie loves more than life itself is getting out in the wilds and exploring. She's my steadfast exercise partner, and I have never once wore her out, despite ten or fifteen mile hikes.

post-5221796-012815500 1383462901_thumb.jpg

Well, I don't hike or Geocache with my dogs but run into a bunch that do.

I must say I've never run into an unhappy dog on the trail.

Most go by with a big smile and the "Come on - lets go - hurry - hurry" look on their face.

Now if they could only be trained to find those micros........

I don't have a dog, but have enjoyed reading through these posts...Sure wish I could commit to one, but I can't right now....I hike alone alot and it would be nice to have some canine company.... :)

hello...we live in sweden and we hike as much as possible with or dogs ...they like it to go out with us.

post-1235578-033365900 1384610276_thumb.jpg

titanicwally_zps46fd987c.jpg

Wally R goes with us everywhere. Also fun to take along is a grand child.

How have I not noticed this thread before? I hike and cache with my Great Swiss Mountain Dog Atlas as often as possible.

431242_593663437327521_915285448_n.jpg

536200_640577285969469_1674442478_n.jpg

482762_631102383583626_1904249589_n.jpg

561276_640577302636134_1688219125_n.jpg

That is a great looking dog....

Edited by basscat5

Whenever I can, I like to bring my dog hiking with me, and she generally loves the hikes. She's not the best behaved dog (nor am I the best behaved owner) so I prefer to go to remote places where she can stay off leash. If there is a decent trail to follow she does great, and I'll even have her carry her own water/food. The off trail stuff is a mixed back. Sometimes I try to take her on rock scrambling hikes that are really not suitable for a dog. I've had to lower her on a rope once, and just made a make-shift harness for her out of some 1" webbing. She hated it. And a lot of these scrambles, even if she can manage the climbs and drops, her pads get torn and then the rest of the hike is painful for her. So I now am a bit more selective when I am deciding about taking her with me. I know she loves getting out though, and there are times when having a dog with you can be useful. A local hiker got lost with his dog in the wilderness (link), and a snowstorm blew in (without warm clothes and appropriate gear, but that's another topic). They found him almost a week later, and his dog had been key in keeping him warm.

11292986404_32e1477106_c.jpg

My pup is the one on the right (the good looking one :)). This hike last weekend was up Big Hatchet Peak in the Bootheel of New Mexico.

Edited by Fugads

Our chocolate went out with us and did great. He is short haired and VERY well trained off leash(hunting & retrieving) so that might make all the difference. Bonus to having a dog go with you is that they can help pack water/snacks in or to pack trash out. Rusty uses this one and its pretty awesome. Ruffwear

WLkC5.jpg

Cute packs (in the link)! Makes Poochy look like a camel or pack-horse. Make 'em earn their keep! :grin:

Edited by wmpastor

My dog goes with me 99% of the time. You would not believe the DRAMA at our house if she sees me packing up my hiking gear and I don't take her with me! laugh.gif

I caribiner a retractable leash to my belt. She is even getting geocaching savvy. If I leave the trail to walk into a thorny patch, she will wait on the trail to see if I'm just going a few feet off the trail or heading into a bushwhack.

DSC01476-M.jpg

DSC01760-M.jpg

DSC03280-M.jpg

DSC03371-L.jpg

That is a great looking dog....

Thank you :)

He's always good company and is more than willing to carry his share on longer hikes

post-2798423-029798000 1387197735_thumb.jpg

I always try to take my boy with me. There's a good sized park nearby with hiking trails where I can let him off leash (he never tracks more than 15 ft in front of me).

post-7787349-027067000 1389384853_thumb.jpg

post-7787349-080079000 1389384973_thumb.jpg

post-7787349-038196900 1389385013_thumb.jpg

Dogs love hiking, I personally have a Beagle right now and haven't taken him on any hiking trips, but I will as soon as I go on my next hiking trip. He's still pretty young though and still less than a year old, but once we get him into hiking he'll love it for sure.

As for the breeds that I believe that are great for hiking, in my opinion labradors, border collies and probably dogs which are mid-sized are the best for it.

. She is even getting geocaching savvy. If I leave the trail to walk into a thorny patch, she will wait on the trail to see if I'm just going a few feet off the trail or heading into a bushwhack.

Mine too! Here's a pic of her waaaaay up on the trail, patiently waiting but keeping a very close eye on me. This was a tough bushwack, but if I called for her she would find her way to me...

51e32184e55edeb0d6702dd161e5d7fc_zpse5a30be7.jpg

I've been hiking and caching with Tulu for a couple of years now (my first dog). She's great company and even though she's small she can keep up on long tough hikes. She's also great cover when I'm trying to be stealthy.

8d7232ff-da00-467e-8ff4-61782df1a3d3.jpg3c30674c-ad9a-4bda-b86c-21b30a40448d.jpg

2cde5c03-b007-4e96-b542-a20a3e8b7117.jpg5221b82c-3cb4-41a4-b413-7ac5e48afdc8.jpg

We got a English Springer pup a couple weeks ago. The little guy isn't 12 weeks old yet, but I have been taking him out through the brush on our land, both on and off leash and both in the day and at night trying to get him used to hiking. Because of the weather and his young age we won't be doing any real hiking for awhile.

Question for the veteran dog owners/hikers: When you are out in the woods how do you deal with cleaning up after your dog? I don't really relish the idea of holding a baggie in my hand while trying to manage treking poles, a GPSr and all the other hiking gear. I also don't really want to stick it in my pack with my food and supplies either. What's your method/experience?

Funny to see my post from years ago. Tucker and I have had a ton of great hikes and he's my "go to" caching companion. He's around 2000 cache finds with me now and hiking with him makes it super enjoyable.

I've had a couple of scares when he has gotten out of sight (being a springer, he loves running ahead of me) and then taken awhile to come back when called, but I at least I haven't lost him yet.

ddb47792-1fb5-49ea-ae8d-76316ad39c86.jpg

2755b67a-b84c-42e0-acbb-aebb2405bfff.jpg

I've been hiking and caching with Tulu for a couple of years now (my first dog). [...] She's also great cover when I'm trying to be stealthy.

Haha, yeah. It's lots easier to go for urban micros and stuff when you've got a dog on a leash. Without dog: loiterer. With dog: just walking my dog, waiting for it to poo.

We recently lost our dog - two and a half year ago, the vet told us that it would be a matter of weeks so she defied the odds for a long time. She was a rescue dog from Taiwan; loved trails;was known to stare down rattlesnakes (she would have tried to do more, but that is another story); and would tell me when it was time to stop looking for a cache and move on. Coyotes sometimes found her intriguing.

There were certain practical matters to hiking with a dog. We generally obeyed the leash laws set by land managers, but it always seemed like many dog owners were anarchists or simply could not read. How many times have I heard a dog owner calling their pet in a nature sanctuary where leashes are required, and wondering why their dog ignored them or was missing for a lengthy period? Sometimes one trail would take us through three different jurisdictions, so it is always good to pay attention to what is expected in any given area.

We also made sure we took care of her waste - dog bags left along trails is a rather controversial practice around my area.

She made it easy to take a hike, more difficult if I wanted to kayak instead. Or hike into areas where dogs were not allowed. I had to balance out her needs, dog walking times, and my goals. I posted this on the canine companions photography thread, but it belongs here as well.

6844058501_1f0a515a26_z.jpg

Edited by geodarts

Thats a solid looking dog there geodarts, she's beautiful. Love her tongue. Sorry for your loss.

has anyone had experience hiking with a boxer?

I had one as a kid, they live forever. mine was 13 years old before he died, saddest day of my life I tell you.

let me know if you've had one that you hiked with, how they did because I'm really considering getting one [when I'm an adult.] and I'm totally going to be one who hikes and is super outdoorsy.

thanks!

oh and also, the humane society has dog training classes. don't know how much they run, but you DO have to 'graduate' or 'test out' to level up, so thats a good way to make sure your dog learns.

I have taken my boxer on many geocaching / hiking trips and he is awesome. Super trooper and always stays close, even if he wonders off a bit single call and he is right back. Great when geocaching with kids too, keeps everyone rounded up and makes everyone feel much safer. great companion.

Hello friends,

First post here and checking in from NE Kentucky near Ashland KY. I live near Albuquerque but living with my mother for a while. I have been roaming the woods all my life and have recently rekindled my fire to check out scenic trails. I have had many dogs accompany me through my 50+ years with an Irish Setter doing 50 miles around Katadan in the early 80's. My current dog Stauffenburg (named after my favorite ski run in Taos) is an Aussie. She too likes to be about 50 feet in front but is situationally aware most all the time and obeys very well except she truly likes everyone. Attached is a recent picture of the two of us hiking around Lake Vesuvius Ohio on new years day.

Glad to join in such a community and look forward to maybe someday meeting a few out and about.

Happy trails - AteamNMDSCF5314-XL.jpg

AteamNM checking in here - newb to geochaching but felt like a quick hello an introduction was in order. I have a home near Albuquerque in the Sandia Mountains, I live at 7200 feet and temporarily working in NE Kentucky. I have been out an about in the woods my whole life and received my Eagle Scout right here in the Shawnee State Forest in SE Ohio. I love to moto camp and hike. Recently decided to look for some local caches near here and like the history lessons that come with many.

I have also had dogs my whole life and currently my doG Stauffenburg (favorite ski run in Taos) is an Australian and loves to go anywhere. She too likes to be about 50 feet in front but is obedient and heads up. Looking forward to a few over nighters and learning from you folks.

Cheers and happy trails - AteamNM

DSCF5314-XL.jpg

DSCF5295-XL.jpg

2013-05-08%2019.52.29-XL.jpg

Love some of these posts, great reading! But couldn't seen anyone else with poodles?

Duncan is a mini. He's 6, and has an amazing prey drive. He loves to swim (took him 5yrs to realise that though), and can run for Africa. He's short shaved and not a shedder. He's type A though, everyone he meets has to be his friend, and his friend RIGHT NOW! So can be quite yappy - but I see this as my fault and a lack of training more than his, I was def. outdogged earlier but we've become a much closer team now. He's always on a lead, and I always have a tennis ball which refocuses him regardless. It was one of my caching resolutions to have him out more this year, and so today we took him to find two new caches and check the one we planted. Great fun :)

Labradors. That is all.

Seriously though, if I can't take my dog with me there's a very good chance I'm not going.

I have GSD, Burr, that has been my hiking companion for 5 years. He is a typical shepherd in that he keeps within a 100' radius of me, always checking in. Very smart and alert.

I am new to geocaching, but he is more than glad to help locating caches.

I carry an old GI canteen cup that I use for a water dish. He loves to split Cliff Bars with me.

o1zd.jpg

Does frontline tick stuff help repel them? I'm going to take my dog on some small hikes in spring and was wondering if the frontline stuff helps.

Does frontline tick stuff help repel them? I'm going to take my dog on some small hikes in spring and was wondering if the frontline stuff helps.

I have tried a TON of stuff on my tick magnet husky/terrier mix and we have had the best luck with Frontline prescribed by our Vet. Also be advised that there is now a Lyme Disease Vaccination that you can get for your dog. Highly recommended layer of protection for our best friends.

Lots of good info. One question. My English shepherd severely injured her paws on a caching hike a year or so ago. Since then, I've been looking for good boots for summer for her. (I found good winter boots) Any suggestions?

My golden retriever, Jasmin, was the stereotypical blonde in the woods-- not real bright, but very, very pretty. We did some overnight backpacking and some car camping over the years, but she never really took to the leash, and was just too much of a wanderer to trust that she wouldn't get herself lost while chasing that squirrel. Around local places , she was a great walker, as long as I stopped with her every time she wanted to sniff the next smell. Some dogs weren't cut out for backpacking, and I guess I wasn't cut out for training her to be anyhing less than herself, so we got along great...

at 11 1/2, she developed cancer in her hip and had to be put down at the beginning of this summer. I'm not ready for another pup yet, but I'm sure the next one will be equally headstrong and will train me to do just as she pleases... Gotta love your dogs!

7b09f75b-e8f3-4fca-992d-dcdd3c0094f5.jpg

The Wisdom of Dogs

If a dog was the teacher, you would learn stuff like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Let others know when they've invaded your territory.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout..! run right back and make friends.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

I am crying reading about what I've learned from my dogs...

Here's my boy hiking/geocaching in Palo Duro Canyon. Yes, we got the cache.

PaloDuroRockyonTabletopRock.jpg

While there an employee was telling me how often they end up with dead pets because people take their dogs out on hikes without water and the dog doesn't make it back. Very sad. Rocky carries his own water in his pack.

What are on his feet?

on edit - I see now that they are dog mukluks. Did not know such a thing was made. Reviews I found on line have lots of complaints that they don't stay on well.

Edited by Cheminer Will

I have an 8-9 year old Pomeranian (he's a rescue so his age is a bit uncertain). He loves joining me to hike and geocache despite how he doesn't like the outdoors such as walking on grass; really, he enjoys being with me and not being left out. Despite being so small, he does great with the walks and it's good exercise for him. When I go off trail, I carry him. I've had to climb steep hills and he does perfectly fine with me setting him down above me so I can use both hands. However, most of the time I am with my parents and they hold on to him if I'm retrieving a difficult cache.

Wish I knew how to attach a photo, he's my little buddy.

We've been taking the GeoHound (Working CockerSpaniel) on hikes for years and find him invaluable when attempting retrievals with high muggle concentrations. Pretending to find a ball or pull out a thorn..etc. However he is useless in finding the caches :rolleyes: .

Seriously though, and as a previous poster has said. Their company on walks/hikes is one of the best things.

Enjoy .

Caching makes our dog walks far more interesting, although she usually tops out after around 5 miles. She can get quite impatient at the beginning of the walk if I'm trying to find something. Here is a photo from this morning when she was constantly trying to climb over the style I was trying to search under:

71d5871e-1f5e-4175-9ec3-908d669c6b34.jpg

Can't be mad though, look at that face :anicute:

I have a Chihuhua but she is very old and I don't want to put her in those difficult tasks if we ever encounter one, so I've been thinking to get a bigger dog to go along in my adventures. Would love to have a companion for sure. I was thinking on getting a Golden Retriever but the hair is what worries me, another option will be a German Shepard both sounds like great companions as long as they are well trained and friendly.

My little Yorkie loves to be outside and we have taken her on many adventures to find caches with us. She can keep up with us up to 4 miles per day at a time, when we were walking every day in the Spring evenings.

post-3478239-070126500 1498010308_thumb.jpg

Regarding advice: if your dog is not perfectly socialized consider using a leash even in the areas where it is not required to avoid annoying other hikers.

I'm a dog owner myself; not all people share our love of doges. <_<